+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EMMA HAYES ITV COMMENTATOR

Re: EMMA HAYES ITV COMMENTATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Your 'less is more' comment is SO true - do you think that ANY commentators even consider this? Look at this:

https://youtu.be/eFZNB9vJS1w

Go to 4:31 and listen to the following 22 seconds of zero commentary immediately after the goal. Brilliant broadcasting IMO.
    The silence went on a bit too long for me but it did allow the viewer time to appreciate the enormity of the goal and listen to the excitement generated by the fans without being immediately bombarded with inane comments and on the spot analysis.

Whether Emma Hayes feels like she has to prove her worth by "showing-off" her tactical knowledge at every opportunity only she would know. Maybe the positive Twitter feeds have gone to her head and she feels she doesn't need to rein it in, who knows. All I do know is that the next time she co-commentates on a game, the mute button will be activated immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    The silence went on a bit too long for me but it did allow the viewer time to appreciate the enormity of the goal and listen to the excitement generated by the fans without being immediately bombarded with inane comments and on the spot analysis.

Whether Emma Hayes feels like she has to prove her worth by "showing-off" her tactical knowledge at every opportunity only she would know. Maybe the positive Twitter feeds have gone to her head and she feels she doesn't need to rein it in, who knows. All I do know is that the next time she co-commentates on a game, the mute button will be activated immediately.
    Will it though? really?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Will it though? really?
    Yes really.

Yes really.
    ok each to their own. enjoy your games in silence

Agree, she’s very annoying.
    What’s most interesting is that she’s one of these people who’s adopted a strange “cockney” accent based on the BBC Eastenders show and Ray Winston movies. I’m put in mind of the peculiar Welsh accents in the “How Green is My Valley” film but in this case the actors freaky accent seems to be more widespread than the real one.
    Cockneys don’t speak like that really.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Agree, she’s very annoying.
    What’s most interesting is that she’s one of these people who’s adopted a strange “cockney” accent based on the BBC Eastenders show and Ray Winston movies. I’m put in mind of the peculiar Welsh accents in the “How Green is My Valley” film but in this case the actors freaky accent seems to be more widespread than the real one.
    Cockneys don’t speak like that really.
    She is from Camden and perhaps speaks what is known as 'Estuary English' rather than pure Cockney, which is a moving feast itself and in decline due to population movement. I used to work with someone from Camden myself and he had what some people from afar may have described as Cockney whereas his accent was a more of a generic London/Estuary English variety. Far from people adopting grating accents, it's sometimes difficult to get rid of them due to our inability of even hearing our own accent. For my part, I have shaved off the Cardiff long and grating 'a' to some degree over the years (as I could actually hear that myself) but how much of my original accent is unknown to me as I simply can't hear it.
    My optician is a very unusual person in that she is a Bristolian who studied for her degree in Cardiff and was left with very Cardiffian overtones whereas most of us have accents that were perhaps forged before we got to Uni age.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    So deeper then?

So she is unnecessarily overcomplicating it as I thought.
    I tune in to watch a game and have the odd tactical breakdown, not watch a game like I'm making notes for my coaching badge course. Each to their own though.

Care to explain the balls are like balloons comment? Which tactical school did she pluck that gem from?

Thanks
    A team defends 'deep' or presses 'high'.

Only hipsters use the term 'low' in football ('low block' is the only term that I can think of), to try and sound 'deep'

ok each to their own. enjoy your games in silence
    As a matter of interest when you see a live game do you have a technical 'expert' sat next to you to explain what's going on in front of your very eyes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    A team defends 'deep' or presses 'high'.

Only hipsters use the term 'low' in football ('low block' is the only term that I can think of), to try and sound 'deep'
    Well there'll be no defending Low tonight, his boys took a hell of a beating!

I turned it down and asked alexa to play talk sport..30 sec delay..🤣

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    I turned it down and asked alexa to play talk sport..30 sec delay..��
    Talk Sport still exists

As a matter of interest when you see a live game do you have a technical 'expert' sat next to you to explain what's going on in front of your very eyes ?
    No, I insist on total silence in the ground. If anyone speaks near me it ruins the whole experience for me

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Anyone who doesnt understand what low / high means shouldnt be watching international football in 2021
    That's a bit low.

I'd need to know the context - i.e. was she talking about the defensive line, the pressing or a specific player's positioning?
    But in general terms LOW means closer to your own goal - High means closer to the opposition goal and mid is somewhere in-between the two.

Silly me. I thought, 'low,' meant close to the ground.

StT.
    <><

I thought it was pretty obvious low means deep/closer to your own goal?

She did ramble on a bit but she also gave good insight at times. She's a lot better than Jenas etc just needs to be told to speak a bit less.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

She did ramble on a bit but she also gave good insight at times. She's a lot better than Jenas etc just needs to be told to speak a bit less.
    Agreed, she'll settle into it and be brilliant. The old codgers on here still coming to terms with a woman being on the big stage....🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

"Ramble on a bit" is the understatement of the year. Constant ear bashing would be nearer the mark.

The very best commentators have the ability to add colour to any occasion, whether that be a major sporting event or one not sports-related. They know when to speak and when to let the pictures tell the story. Unfortunately, Emma Hayes is the antithesis of this.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Agreed, she'll settle into it and be brilliant. The old codgers on here still coming to terms with a woman being on the big stage....🤣🤣
    I have no problem with her being a woman I just didn't enjoy listening to here ramble on.
    Unlike you I made a judgement on her performance and not try and be woke for the sake of it.
    It's called having an opinion and expressing it.
    That's not illegal yet but I'm sure the likes of you would love it if your opinion was the only one that can be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    I have no problem with her being a woman I just didn't enjoy listening to here ramble on.
    Unlike you I made a judgement on her performance and not try and be woke for the sake of it.
    It's called having an opinion and expressing it.
    That's not illegal yet but I'm sure the likes of you would love it if your opinion was the only one that can be heard.
    Oooo hit a nerve there have I? Ha ha the 🤣🤣 should have indicated that it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Lots of different approaches to commentary described here. But I think I've spotted a gap in the market. What about those who prefer their 'tactical insight' to be confined to 2 or 3 opinions a game, but to have those 'insights' continually bellowed in an ultra aggressive tone.

I think both Itv and the bbc are really missing a trick by not getting Dai Hunt into the commentary team.

To make it more realistic, once you've pressed the red button and picked the Dai option for a game. You should be unable to adjust back to normal commentary, or access your tv's power or volume buttons.

Oooo hit a nerve there have I? Ha ha the 🤣🤣 should have indicated that it was a tongue in cheek comment.
    Of course it was

my friends do

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    Of course it was
    Thanks for your understanding

Thanks for your understanding
    No problem sweetie

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    my friends do