+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FT: CZECH REPUBLIC 1 - 2 DENMARK.

FT: CZECH REPUBLIC 1 - 2 DENMARK.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• This is the third meeting between the Czech Republic and Denmark at the European Championship. The Czechs have won both previous games, 2-0 in the Euro 2000 group stages and 3-0 in the 2004 quarter-final.
    • Five of the last six matches between the Czech Republic and Denmark have ended as draws, including their most recent encounter in a November 2016 friendly. The other game in this run was a 3-0 Denmark win in a March 2013 World Cup qualifier.

Czech Republic
    • This is the Czech Republic's fourth European Championship quarter-final, progressing from two of the previous three. In 1996 against Portugal, 2004 at Denmark's expense, but failing the last time they reached this stage in 2012, losing 1-0 to Portugal.
    • Patrik Schick has scored 15 goals in 30 appearances for the Czech Republic, netting four goals in four games at Euro 2020 so far. Only five players have scored five goals in their first-ever Euros, most recently France's Antoine Griezmann with six in 2016. Schick's compatriot Milan Baros hit five at Euro 2004.
    • Schick has scored three left-footed goals at Euro 2020, the most of any player. In European Championship history, the only player to score more than three left-footed goals in a single tournament was Griezmann at Euro 2016 with four.

Denmark
    • With a 4-1 win against Russia and a 4-0 victory against Wales, Denmark became the first team in European Championship history to score four or more goals in consecutive games. They have nine goals so far at Euro 2020, only scoring more in a major tournament in the 1986 World Cup when they hit 10.
    • Denmark are averaging 18.8 shots and 7.3 shots on target per game so far at Euro 2020. Both are their highest numbers on record at a single edition at a major tournament.
    • Denmark have lost their last two quarter-final ties in major tournaments, going out against Brazil in the 1998 World Cup with a 3-2 defeat and the Czech Republic in Euro 2004 when they were beaten 3-0.
    • Having scored with just one of their first 44 shots at Euro 2020 (2% conversion), Denmark have now scored with eight of their last 31 (26%).
    • Mikkel Damsgaard has been directly involved in seven goals in his six appearances for Denmark in all competitions, scoring three and assisting four.

Re: CZECH REPUBLIC v DENMARK. ko 5pm

Czechia are currently the only only non-host nation side to have knocked out a host nation having beaten Netherlands in previous round.

Ranked 40th in the World in FIFA's pre-tournament rankings Czechia are the lowest ranked team left in the competition, though this will surely change after the tournament. Ukraine in 24th and Denmark in 10th are the closest to them as we move up the list.

If Czechia make the final they'll have played in four different nations to get there which is the same as Spain and Denmark in the eventuality either of those teams make it. Italy will have played in three, England in just two but Ukraine will have travelled to five different nations over course of the tournament.

Delaney’s no donkey, good header 1-0

I do love a Hummel shirt

The Danes are a very good team even without their star player/s. Starting to feel like they’re maybe slightly better than their ranking suggests, which is already good.

Lot to admire from a smaller nation but there’s something about them I can’t warm to despite having a good Danish mate and experienced very enjoyable trips to the country. I can normally get behind any smaller country punching above it’s weight (Croatia, etc), even when they’re adept at shithousery (Uruguay).

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Delaney’s no donkey, good header 1-0
    I got the sound turned down, was it a corner?

Didn’t look like the defender touched it

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I got the sound turned down, was it a corner?

Didn’t look like the defender touched it
    Dodgy decisions going Denmark's way?

Sounds familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I do love a Hummel shirt
    They do some very good designs and very good sportswear , but can go over the top, did you see their one for that Spanish 2nd division Club, a design that was black and white looking like a waiters jacket, even had a bow tie.

Dodgy decisions going Denmark's way?

Sounds familiar...
    They’re definitely getting the “big team” calls. Definitely something for us to learn in getting smarter and cuter with the fouls we concede.

0 - 2

What a cross and finish

2-0 and cruising. Fairplay, I irrationally dislike that Dolberg!

When Wales went out there was talk that all they did was beat the worst team in the tournament. It’s now looking like we played two Semi Finalists (at least) and a team that beat the World Champions and were on top in their Quarter Final last night when they had a player sent off before losing on penalties in our other three - time for a bit of a rethink about how our campaign should be judged?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When Wales went out there was talk that all they did was beat the worst team in the tournament. It’s now looking like we played two Semi Finalists (at least) and a team that beat the World Champions and were on top in their Quarter Final last night when they had a player sent off before losing on penalties in our other three - time for a bit of a rethink about how our campaign should be judged?
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    2-0 and cruising. Fairplay, I irrationally dislike that Dolberg!
    Its not irrational, that bellend knocked us out

2-1, great finish

I do love a Hummel shirt
    German for Bumble Bee-Great word!

Re: FT: CZECH REPUBLIC 1 - 2 DENMARK.

Thought that was a fairly leisurely 'throw the kitchen sink' effort from Czech.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not really.
    Why not? Wales played Italy in Rome, the matches with Turkey and Denmark were away games in all but name and they had to travel further in the group stages than all bar Switzerland and Sweden — it’s now a fact that two of the sides we played were among the strongest in the competition and another one beat France.

Why not? Wales played Italy in Rome, the matches with Turkey and Denmark were away games in all but name and they had to travel further in the group stages than all bar Switzerland and Sweden — it’s now a fact that two of the sides we played were among the strongest in the competition and another one beat France.
    You can't argue with a "know all" TOBW.

Why not?
    Because I don’t think anything that has happened subsequently has suggested that the Wales team performed any better than we thought they had when they dumped out of the competition by Denmark. The did OK in the group stages but were poor in the knockout game. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than that.

It was always going to be the case that our impression of our group was going to change the further we got from it which I think TOBW is alluding to. Beforehand many had us as fourth best but that got corrected as we saw how poor Turkey were over their three games, then people said we didn't do anything which is now being corrected by how well Italy and Switzerland have done since which is TOBW's main point. Impossible to disagree with TLG when he says we were dumped out by Denmark but there is context being added by how rest of the tournament is playing out.

Unless Ukraine pull of one heck of an upset we can say that only one "host nation" were directly knocked out by a non-host nation (Netherlands losing to Czechia) and that FIFA's top 10 rankings are bang on the money with 4 of the 7 UEFA nations in the final 4. Every other "host nation" is either still in the competition, lost to another "host nation" or were Scotland*.

What happened to the other 3? Belgium knocked out Portugal and then lost in the next round, France showed how unhappy a camp it was and went out fairly limply to Switzerland.

If anyone wants to play "who has gained most from being a host-nation?" my answer would be Germany who might not have qualified if they hadn't been while Spain have taken the opposite crown as gaining the least.

Switzerland or Czechia have done the best as non-host nation's while France have struggled the most without that advantage.

*I know it also describes Russia and Hungary but at least they played two of FIFA's top 10 on way out of contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Thought that was a fairly leisurely 'throw the kitchen sink' effort from Czech.

Started the 2nd half like an express train, scored, then went into steam roller mode

Because I don’t think anything that has happened subsequently has suggested that the Wales team performed any better than we thought they had when they dumped out of the competition by Denmark. The did OK in the group stages but were poor in the knockout game. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than that.
    So, if we’d been deservedly beaten 4-0 by, say, Austria, you don’t think that would have been any different from the Denmark defeat, even though they’ve now got through to the Semi Finals? In a twenty four team competition, we played Turkey and three teams that reached the last eight, two of which have now gone a stage further. - I make it that only Croatia out of the teams that went out at the last sixteen stage had a comparable four games to us in terms of how far their opponents have progressed in the competition.

You really are one bitter and twisted cu*t.
    Can’t remember the last time you posted any thing positive about Wakes or the City.
    There were over 100 contributions to the Wales/Turkey thread, but not a peep from you.
    It’s like your constantly lurking in the shadows, waiting to pounce with your negativity.
    A real sad individual, who takes the term “throwing their toys out of the pram” to a new level.
    They are looking for a warm up man at Thornhill Crematorium. Why don’t you apply?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You really are one bitter and twisted cu*t.
    You’re nothing at all.