+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: CCTV home security cameras recommendations

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

CCTV home security cameras recommendations

Apologies for not being football related but as this MB appears to be a fount of knowledge I thought I’d take a chance.

I want to have a couple of outside cctv cameras installed along with a front doorbell camera at an address in Radyr

Is there anybody on here who does this or can offer a recommendation for someone who can.

Thank you in advance.

Re: CCTV home security cameras recommendations

eufy, good quality and no ongoing subscription cost
    either that or the Xiaomi ones are supposed to be good
    I installed myself really simple

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    eufy, good quality and no ongoing subscription cost
    either that or the Xiaomi ones are supposed to be good
    I installed myself really simple
    Thank you I’ll investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Thank you I’ll investigate.
    they have a battery one that doesn't need to be wired in and lasts 6 months or so before you need to charge it

https://uk.eufylife.com/collections/...ducts/t88313d2

rjk mentioned them above

seem to be very popular ( seen a few of them around on customers houses, even more than ring cams ), 200 quid for 2 ( though the others are about 100 quid ) of them, no monthly cloud subscription, 6 months battery, 3 months recording on a 16gig SD card, you can talk to a person through them ( like the ring setup )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    https://uk.eufylife.com/collections/...ducts/t88313d2

rjk mentioned them above

seem to be very popular ( seen a few of them around on customers houses, even more than ring cams ), 200 quid for 2 ( though the others are about 100 quid ) of them, no monthly cloud subscription, 6 months battery, 3 months recording on a 16gig SD card, you can talk to a person through them ( like the ring setup )
    I’d never heard of Eufy previously but the cctv set up seems very popular and few reported issues

the other brand I've heard are good is Aqara (owned by Xiaomi)

https://twitter.com/Richkeogh/status...059838984?s=19

there's a link for a discount on some eufy things - not sure if it's still active though.

Personally I wouldn’t bother with wireless systems . Go for wired systems, usually wired in CAT6 cable. You have 1 CAT6 cable to each camera.

Don’t be fooled by the eBay specials that are cheap. If it’s on your own house go for a good system like HIK vision. Been around for years and pretty much industry standard.

Just another bit of advice, if you’re having CAT6 cables installed get them to add some extra that can be used for WIFI access points in various parts of your house.

If you want I can ask about for you, but you need to pay good money for a good system.

I agree with the previous poster. You get what you pay for with CCTV and frequently you can end up with a bad picture and an unreliable system.

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    Personally I wouldn’t bother with wireless systems . Go for wired systems, usually wired in CAT6 cable. You have 1 CAT6 cable to each camera.

Don’t be fooled by the eBay specials that are cheap. If it’s on your own house go for a good system like HIK vision. Been around for years and pretty much industry standard.

Just another bit of advice, if you’re having CAT6 cables installed get them to add some extra that can be used for WIFI access points in various parts of your house.

If you want I can ask about for you, but you need to pay good money for a good system.
    what's the problem with wireless? the eufy system works perfectly for me

Screenshot_2021-07-06-10-52-01-612_com.oceanwing.battery.cam.jpg

that's the image I get from my doorbell.
    it'll notify me if it detects human movement, and that seems to work flawlessly.

Nothing wrong with wireless systems if it suits you. But they’re more of a DIY system.

I’ve been involved in the security and electrical trade for over 30 years. And I’ve gone for the professional system in my own home as it suits me better.

Intruder alarm systems are better hard wired, but there are some good wireless systems on the market now.

I

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    Nothing wrong with wireless systems if it suits you. But they’re more of a DIY system.

I’ve been involved in the security and electrical trade for over 30 years. And I’ve gone for the professional system in my own home as it suits me better.

Intruder alarm systems are better hard wired, but there are some good wireless systems on the market now.

I
    yes I also have an alarm system that is wired in.
    there is no wired doorbell though and I didn't want to bother running wires to the outside so I just went for wireless.
    anyone approaches the house and me and my girlfriend get notifications on our phone.
    that pretty much rules out an affair with the girl next door, but that's about the only downside I can see so far

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yes I also have an alarm system that is wired in.
    there is no wired doorbell though and I didn't want to bother running wires to the outside so I just went for wireless.
    anyone approaches the house and me and my girlfriend get notifications on our phone.
    that pretty much rules out an affair with the girl next door, but that's about the only downside I can see so far
    Have you tried the back door?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Have you tried the back door?