+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No new signings. That’s it then

Re: No new signings. That’s it then

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I never rated Bennett so I don't see the youngsters as a major step down at left back.

Ralls and Wintle are way better than any combination of Bacuna/Pack/Vaulks.

Giles has the ability to replace Wilson.

Collins will be a decent enough backup for Moore. He'll score more in this league than Glatzel did.

I think it's a better side than the one that just finished 8th.
    Here's to positivity

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The right club could buy promotion this year.

I assume a bounce back for WBA
    Exactly what I think….Fulham do the usual back up too I guess

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Exactly what I think….Fulham do the usual back up too I guess
    Fulham usually go straight back up do they?

Fulham and west brom will be strong.
    Bournemouth should be as well

Swansea and Barnsley not sure they'll be as good, but a good start and who knows.

reading look weaker than last season.

Im not bothered about getting promoted. Been there, done that. The chase is better than the catch as far as Premier League football is concerned.

As long as we are competitive and bringing through the next generation im happy. Looking forward to seeing what some of our golden generation in the academy can bring to the table.

Ive seen enough hoofball and managers / players looking for a final pay day in the last decade, it will be nice to see a younger team too. Hopefully they can bring the style of football into the 21st century.

Non competitive football?
    It’s a bit like the Super League idea in reverse.

Trouble is, you do know you get relegated if you can’t ( or don’t bother to) compete , don’t you ?

I'm sure there will be more players coming in....if we can move a few out, but that will be the problem.

There are positives, a younger squad average age for one. But losing Bennett, Ojo and Wilson and replacing them with inexperienced players from Crewe, Wolves reserves doesn't bode well. If Giles plays left wing back, we will not have replacements for Ojo and Wilson. So I expect him to play further forward and Bagan playing LB. Two area we are strong are centre back with Flint, Morrison, Nelson and McGuiness and up front with Moore, Collins, Harris and Vassell.

But I'm sure MM will get the best out of the players. I'm not expecting too much from the team but will just be happy to see live football again.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Im not bothered about getting promoted. Been there, done that. The chase is better than the catch as far as Premier League football is concerned.

As long as we are competitive and bringing through the next generation im happy. Looking forward to seeing what some of our golden generation in the academy can bring to the table.

Ive seen enough hoofball and managers / players looking for a final pay day in the last decade, it will be nice to see a younger team too. Hopefully they can bring the style of football into the 21st century.
    Here here.

I'd take that.

Don't want a relegation (don't think we'd get one either) but it wouldn't bother me if our league position took a dive for a season or 2 to get us going the right way.

Just realised half of last season’s assists came from players that are no longer playing for us.

Maybe just the one or two more signings then!

I never rated Bennett so I don't see the youngsters as a major step down at left back.

Collins will be a decent enough backup for Moore. He'll score more in this league than Glatzel did.

This

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was an encouraging showing by Giles yesterday, but getting on for a half of his forty odd Championship appearances last season were as a substitute for teams that finished some way below us - it’s asking, and expecting, a lot that he will seamlessly step in for Wilson.

We have lost creativity and flair with Wilson leaving, while Bennett, Hoilett, Ojo were all capable of adding something in those departments. Tomlin at 19/20 levels will make up for some of that, as would a consistent and confident Murphy, while Colwill will help if he continues to develop. Even with Tomlin two seasons ago and Wilson last season, we were hardly among the more creative Championship teams though and we look to be short of those levels at the moment.

If we can’t sign any more players (I’m not sure that we won’t- it would be naive to believe everything a manager told the media), then I’d be watching how Kieron Evans, who’s not played at all this season yet, does in the next few weeks very closely because, at Development team level at least, he has that creativity we lack.

Creativity is our huge weakness and may hamper Moore in his quest for goals. Too many people on here still think Tomlin is the answer but I would be surprised if MM uses him any more than a possible sub.
    He looks 2 stone overweight and still suffers from previous injury issues.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was an encouraging showing by Giles yesterday, but getting on for a half of his forty odd Championship appearances last season were as a substitute for teams that finished some way below us - it’s asking, and expecting, a lot that he will seamlessly step in for Wilson.

We have lost creativity and flair with Wilson leaving, while Bennett, Hoilett, Ojo were all capable of adding something in those departments. Tomlin at 19/20 levels will make up for some of that, as would a consistent and confident Murphy, while Colwill will help if he continues to develop. Even with Tomlin two seasons ago and Wilson last season, we were hardly among the more creative Championship teams though and we look to be short of those levels at the moment.

If we can’t sign any more players (I’m not sure that we won’t- it would be naive to believe everything a manager told the media), then I’d be watching how Kieron Evans, who’s not played at all this season yet, does in the next few weeks very closely because, at Development team level at least, he has that creativity we lack.
    I agree with all of that Paul.

I actually think it's unfair on Giles to make him the sole replacement for Bennett, Wilson, Ojo and Junior. Talk about expectations!

The fact we've lost those mentioned players and only brought in Giles who can play in their position is crazy.

Yes we are stronger in the target man position and in defence.. but it's crazy to think we will have the creativity and flair needed to make a significant impact this season... Unless we strengthen.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I agree with all of that Paul.

I actually think it's unfair on Giles to make him the sole replacement for Bennett, Wilson, Ojo and Junior. Talk about expectations!

The fact we've lost those mentioned players and only brought in Giles who can play in their position is crazy.

Yes we are stronger in the target man position and in defence.. but it's crazy to think we will have the creativity and flair needed to make a significant impact this season... Unless we strengthen.
    I'm still not sure we would see him at wing back ahead of bagan, brown and Ralls.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I'm still not sure we would see him at wing back ahead of bagan, brown and Ralls.
    Brown and Ralls are not wing backs or full backs. They only played there at the end of last season as emergency cover due to injuries. Giles is a wing back or winger. Why would we deliberately plan to play people out of position.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Brown and Ralls are not wing backs or full backs. They only played there at the end of last season as emergency cover due to injuries. Giles is a wing back or winger. Why would we deliberately plan to play people out of position.

Making it up as he goes along ?

Must say I agree with DubaiDai about Tomlin. The skill is still there, but Mick McCarthy made it sound like he'd be used off the bench in the new seaso.

Not a great deal can be taken from Saturday in terms of making minds up as to what will be our best team to face Barnsley, but I thought Ralls and Wintle combined well in the first half against Cambridge and the latter compared favourably with Pack and Vaulks, our midfield pairing in the first match.

In Vaulks' previous two seasons with us, it seems to have taken him until about November to force his way into the side on a regular basis and, although this time it's a bit different because he has a suspension to serve, he would have added nothing to the Welsh team in the Euros playing like he did against Cambridge. I can't help thinking that someone at the club should be trying to find out why Vaulks appear to be a slow starter to a season (at Cardiff anyway) - maybe he needs a different type of training regime when coming back after the summer break?

I don't understand the argument that Vaulks was one of our best players last season. He had the same number of Man of the Match performances as Bacuna and Pack. Last season was Moore, Wilson, Morrison and then everyone else.

I don't understand the argument that Vaulks was one of our best players last season. He had the same number of Man of the Match performances as Bacuna and Pack. Last season was Moore, Wilson, Morrison and then everyone else.
    Did you see the goal he scored against Brentford last season ? Or the one against Derby. Do you think that either Bacuna or Pack could do that ? I don't disagree with your list of players by the way but Vaulks was pretty close behind Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Did you see the goal he scored against Brentford last season ? Or the one against Derby. Do you think that either Bacuna or Pack could do that ? I don't disagree with your list of players by the way but Vaulks was pretty close behind Morrison.
    I think theres more chance of Bacuna and Pack passing to a blue shirt.

One thing that Wilson lacked was consistency. He'd have a great game, then the fans would be full of expectancy, but he wouldn't do it again for another six games. Maybe Giles will be consistent match to match? Maybe our team couldn't play the way Wilson wanted us to, or maybe we didn't have the talent to provide him enough quality ball. But there again maybe he just is not consistent enough, which is why he has not been snapped up a Premier League team. I cannot see any team paying £15m for him in the current economic climate.

Very well put.
    He’s a luxury player really as you say and not necessarily the best for the role. There are a number of possible alternatives already on the books, but my concern is that it’s daft not to ensure that we’ve got someone who can definitely do it when the next chance to get a replacement is January.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    One thing that Wilson lacked was consistency. He'd have a great game, then the fans would be full of expectancy, but he wouldn't do it again for another six games. Maybe Giles will be consistent match to match? Maybe our team couldn't play the way Wilson wanted us to, or maybe we didn't have the talent to provide him enough quality ball. But there again maybe he just is not consistent enough, which is why he has not been snapped up a Premier League team. I cannot see any team paying £15m for him in the current economic climate.
    Never say never, but he's young as well so maybe a bit much at this stage to be at the same level week in week out. I hope you're right though. Here's to hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think your right but I think is relying just on him to make something happen was an issue. I'm sure when he was ta Derby and had Mason Mount next to him it helped.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Thank you for helping to restore my enthusiasm for the coming fray

If that is it, then what are we supposed to talk about?
    Are there no more players with an Irish connection left, that he fancies?