+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New car purchase delays

Re: New car purchase delays

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    What are TFTs?
    Thin film transistor, used for displays, we use them in our Head up displays & instrument clusters. We also use also use LCDs & OLEDs. When there’s a global shortage like now, I’m sure you can imagine the dog fight for the available raw material & parts.

From Wiki, we make car dashboards, instrument displays & head up displays, you can see the big players we’re fighting against for parts

A thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal display (TFT LCD) is a variant of a liquid-crystal display (LCD) that uses thin-film-transistor (TFT) technology[1] to improve image qualities such as addressability and contrast. A TFT LCD is an active matrix LCD, in contrast to passive matrix LCDs or simple, direct-driven[clarification needed] LCDs with a few segments.

TFT LCDs are used in appliances including television sets, computer monitors, mobile phones, handheld devices, video game systems, personal digital assistants, navigation systems, projectors and car dashboards.

Got a customer with a Ford Custom on Order from February and originally due July.
    Told him 3 times about various delays with latest being December.
    He isn’t moaning about it (in fact he is laughing) as he is currently getting £2500 more for his PX from a well known website.

By the time he eventually gets his new Van his cost to change will have dropped on current trends by around £3500 and his old van will have about 25k miles more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Thin film transistor, used for displays, we use them in our Head up displays & instrument clusters. We also use also use LCDs & OLEDs. When there’s a global shortage like now, I’m sure you can imagine the dog fight for the available raw material & parts.

From Wiki, we make car dashboards, instrument displays & head up displays, you can see the big players we’re fighting against for parts

A thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal display (TFT LCD) is a variant of a liquid-crystal display (LCD) that uses thin-film-transistor (TFT) technology[1] to improve image qualities such as addressability and contrast. A TFT LCD is an active matrix LCD, in contrast to passive matrix LCDs or simple, direct-driven[clarification needed] LCDs with a few segments.

TFT LCDs are used in appliances including television sets, computer monitors, mobile phones, handheld devices, video game systems, personal digital assistants, navigation systems, projectors and car dashboards.
    Thats cleared that one up .

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Got a customer with a Ford Custom on Order from February and originally due July.
    Told him 3 times about various delays with latest being December.
    He isn’t moaning about it (in fact he is laughing) as he is currently getting £2500 more for his PX from a well known website.

By the time he eventually gets his new Van his cost to change will have dropped on current trends by around £3500 and his old van will have about 25k miles more!!
    We are getting around 5 to 8 k a van more than we expected for my hire company disposals.
    Bearing in mind our discounts , a transit limited custom has lost less us than £2000 holding costs over three years .
    Problem is now I cant get replacement vehicles. There is nothing about to buy today .

Your friend should pop his van down to WBAC and find out how much that little scratch is really going to cost him.( It will )

I bought a 65 plate of one of my customers last year and they valued it £7500 so I bought it for £7000

I traded it for just over £8,000
    The trader sold it for £9,500 which is fine that's the way it works.
    WBAC are still emailing me trying to buy that van offering £11,000 trade ...mad....

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I ordered my wife's car on Motability back on May 10th.
    It is a Peugeot 5008 1.2 Puretech GT trim.

Was told it would be July delivery at time of order, then October. My dealer phoned a couple of weeks ago and said it would now be September although there was no actual build date yet.

I won't hold my breath!
    It's alright if you already have a car on the scheme as you can just extend your current lease, but if you're new to the scheme and waiting for your first car it could be a bit of a pain.

I know it’s bonkers, I have never before seen natural equity at the end of PCP’s and Finance Leases - some eye watering too.

Usually contract hire firms will allow you to extent your contract at the end,
    But I’m finding that some won’t for too long as they want that vehicle back to dispose of it now while the values are so high.
    But your right it’s being able to get hold of the new replacement is difficult and the in many cases an unknown wait.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    I know it’s bonkers, I have never before seen natural equity at the end of PCP’s and Finance Leases - some eye watering too.

Usually contract hire firms will allow you to extent your contract at the end,
    But I’m finding that some won’t for too long as they want that vehicle back to dispose of it now while the values are so high.
    But your right it’s being able to get hold of the new replacement is difficult and the in many cases an unknown wait.
    It has now developed into a catch 22 . Customers need a vehicle, which we cant supply , but we want to cash in on their vehicle.
    Taking vehicles off customers isn't a great idea going forward.
    There is literally nothing about and dealers dont want to be supplying rental company's at discounted rates when there is retail customers fighting over their product.

And in my spam box this morning WBAC the same 65 plate transit custom ( not a limited ) £10800 . That is incredible .

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Ordered a new car, Mini Countryman, back in April. Due to a worldwide shortage of microchips there’s been a number of delays and just been told today delivery will now be the last week of December.
    I know it’s a First World problem and it is what it is really, but anyone else with similar experiences?
    It's a great time to try and wiggle out of finance on a car you don't like and you're after something in stock.

I was 15 months into a 48 month personal contract hire for a car that was massively underwhelming (an Audi A7), done 7k miles (having expecting to be double that with work travel etc...), went to VW and got myself the new Tiguan R which (lucky for me, there was one in stock in the UK which Mon Motors had!), but they were quoting minimum 5 month waiting times on factory order.

You normally get stung trying to end finance early but I paid a couple of hundred quid to get out on condition I took a new PCH with VW (preferential termination). Basically the motor industry are scrambling for stock, especially nearly new and low mileage.

All personal preference but I've got myself a car I enjoy more and have saved myself a few £k over the remaining life of the original agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It's alright if you already have a car on the scheme as you can just extend your current lease, but if you're new to the scheme and waiting for your first car it could be a bit of a pain.
    Normally I would be quite happy to wait, but my wife is increasingly in need of a hoist to help her to get in the car.

It is not worth putting it in my current motability car, it would be too expensive, but when you get a new car it will be available at a subsidised rate, and I have already ordered it with the Peugeot.