+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: V5C form

V5C form

I have the old one from the previous owner but can't find my one.

I know I can apply online and get another sent out for £25, ideally I'd rather not spend that £25 for a piece of paper I only need to transfer the car to a new owner.

I assumed the 11 digit number was unique to the car, so as a means to save 25 quid I input the 11 digit number and Reg online to change ownership.. But the number isn't registered to the vehicle, so much for car expert mates who also said the number was unique to the vehicle.

So, after rambling, my question is this, can I avoid paying the 25 quid fee and aquire the number a different way? Is there any way around being a tight arse who wants to save 25 quid.. Its not the money.. I just hate wasting it on shit like this.

Re: V5C form

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

I know I can apply online and get another sent out for £25, ideally I'd rather not spend that £25 for a piece of paper I only need to transfer the car to a new owner.

I assumed the 11 digit number was unique to the car, so as a means to save 25 quid I input the 11 digit number and Reg online to change ownership.. But the number isn't registered to the vehicle, so much for car expert mates who also said the number was unique to the vehicle.

So, after rambling, my question is this, can I avoid paying the 25 quid fee and aquire the number a different way? Is there any way around being a tight arse who wants to save 25 quid.. Its not the money.. I just hate wasting it on shit like this.
    No, you have to pay the £25. If you "hate wasting money on shit like this" next time keep your log book somewhere safe.

I can't read your reply

You will definitely need the latest V5C to sell, transfer, or even scrap the vehicle.
    The Document Reference number is unique to the V5C that’s in force now.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    You will definitely need the latest V5C to sell, transfer, or even scrap the vehicle.
    Amazing how many people lose the V5C and then complain about paying for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Thought that may be the case.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

As you have the old one, has the 'new keeper' tear off slip been completed and sent to DVLA? If not its likely you have never had a new V5C.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    As you have the old one, has the 'new keeper' tear off slip been completed and sent to DVLA? If not its likely you have never had a new V5C.
    Forgot to say..if you check your vehicle road tax status on the UK Gov website there is information on when the V5C was last updated. This may give you a clue as to whether a new one was ever issued. If not there will be no charge for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Forgot to say..if you check your vehicle road tax status on the UK Gov website there is information on when the V5C was last updated. This may give you a clue as to whether a new one was ever issued. If not there will be no charge for a new one.
    Yes, last log book was issued to me. I've just misplaced it. Appreciate the reply