+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting short article about how Leicester have built

Interesting short article about how Leicester have built

Traditionally Leicester have been a bigger club than us. However, in the mid 2000s, as we were pushing for the Premier League, they ended up in League 1. We played each other quite regularly around this time in the cups, league and playoffs. We got to the Premier League a season before them. Since then the gap between the sides has widened.

I think it begs the question of how well we are run as a football club. There's been no shortage of money spent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58112144

Re: Interesting short article about how Leicester have built

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Traditionally Leicester have been a bigger club than us. However, in the mid 2000s, as we were pushing for the Premier League, they ended up in League 1. We played each other quite regularly around this time in the cups, league and playoffs. We got to the Premier League a season before them. Since then the gap between the sides has widened.

I think it begs the question of how well we are run as a football club. There's been no shortage of money spent.

I am old enough to remember when Leicester were basically us — Division II strivers who never quite made it over the hump. Their story is reason for hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    I am old enough to remember when Leicester were basically us — Division II strivers who never quite made it over the hump. Their story is reason for hope.
    Oddly enough, my memory deceives me about this. I remember Leicester being a constant opponent during the late '60s and early '70s but this is not true. A check of the actual record shows Leicester accumulated a stellar Division 1 record during that time, while we were mired in Division II.

Ah, memory. How fickle you can be.

It’s an interesting comparison on how to invest in a football club and how not to. Where the Leicester ownership embraced the club, history and community, Tan and co did the complete opposite really.

They have showed that they are very much about the football and have made good footballing decisions. Good signings, shrewd manager picks and investing in the club infrastructure. Leicester are in a very healthy position and have a Premier League title and FA Cup to show for it.

City meanwhile are no further on really for all the Money that Tan has put into the club, despite two promotions. Still struggling financially but now with a fractured fanbase (thanks to the disastrous and insulting re-brand) no real football identity on the pitch, underinvested youth development system, some poor manager choices, and constantly alienating the fans with poor customer service.

When we beat them in that play off semi final, we had an exciting, attacking football team and it seemed we were on the cusp of something special. 10 years later and it was actually them who went on to big things.

I often wonder if Vincent Tan looks at them and their owners and wonders wtf am I doing wrong……

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    It’s an interesting comparison on how to invest in a football club and how not to. Where the Leicester ownership embraced the club, history and community, Tan and co did the complete opposite really.

They have showed that they are very much about the football and have made good footballing decisions. Good signings, shrewd manager picks and investing in the club infrastructure. Leicester are in a very healthy position and have a Premier League title and FA Cup to show for it.

City meanwhile are no further on really for all the Money that Tan has put into the club, despite two promotions. Still struggling financially but now with a fractured fanbase (thanks to the disastrous and insulting re-brand) no real football identity on the pitch, underinvested youth development system, some poor manager choices, and constantly alienating the fans with poor customer service.

When we beat them in that play off semi final, we had an exciting, attacking football team and it seemed we were on the cusp of something special. 10 years later and it was actually them who went on to big things.
    Well put, incredible really. People say we are lucky to have him, but is he really any good at running a football club? Other business maybe….but us?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    I'm old enough to remember Leicester being a First Division team with some pretty famous players when we were struggling at the bottom of Division 2 and getting relegated to Division 3. We only achieved parity with them in the 2000s.

It's easy to compare Leicester with us to make us look bad but how many clubs have achieved what they have?
    If i remember right they spent quite a lot of money to but obviously spent it well and are pretty unique in what they have done.
    Brum , Sunderland , Pompey , Stoke , Derby , Cardiff ,Fulham and many more have spent silly amounts over the years and haven't done a Leicester.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    It's easy to compare Leicester with us to make us look bad but how many clubs have achieved what they have?
    If i remember right they spent quite a lot of money to but obviously spent it well and are pretty unique in what they have done.
    Brum , Sunderland , Pompey , Stoke , Derby , Cardiff ,Fulham and many more have spent silly amounts over the years and haven't done a Leicester.
    Why does it have to be to make us look bad?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Why does it have to be to make us look bad?
    Comparing us with Leicester's achievments who in my opinion are probably a one off does make us look bad but if we look at the bigger picture Cardiff are in a large group of overspenders who didn't do a leicester. Thats my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Comparing us with Leicester's achievments who in my opinion are probably a one off does make us look bad but if we look at the bigger picture Cardiff are in a large group of overspenders who didn't do a leicester. Thats my opinion.
    My point was, I don't think it was posted to make us look bad by the op.

The article may or may not make us look bad, but I don't think it was posted intending to make us look bad.

You have a positive outlook on the city, that's great, but not everything thatnfoesnt scream positivity is some anti Cardiff narrative