+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Did any away fans ever “Take the Grange End“

Did any away fans ever “Take the Grange End“

I know lots of away fans tried to do it. When hooliganism was rife, lots of away fans used to congregate in the middle of the Grange End at the back until shortly before kick off. Then, as regular as clockwork Cardiff fans would appear from nowhere and the away fans would get chased along the Bob Bank.
    Anyone remember those days ? It was a regular occurrence on a Saturday afternoon.

Re: Did any away fans ever “Take the Grange End“

Didn't Portsmouth famously show up at about 1pm to "take" the Grange End?

Idiotic and childish concept altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Indeed it was but I guess like me you don’t know the answer.

I do remember Kung fu stars & oranges with razor blades being launched by Villa fans

Watching a replay of The Big Match from 1980 yesterday, I was amazed at how many Sunderland fans were in the Canton stand.
    I guess when you could just turn up and pay at the turnstiles, visiting fans just went where they could if the Grange was full.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Watching a replay of The Big Match from 1980 yesterday, I was amazed at how many Sunderland fans were in the Canton stand.
    I guess when you could just turn up and pay at the turnstiles, visiting fans just went where they could if the Grange was full.
    You could only go on the Bob Bank if you were a City fan that day - there were nearly twenty thousand there and, judging by our gates that season, more than a half of them were Sunderland fans, so City decided to let them have three sides of the ground.

There was a game in the late sixties when Coventry were on the brink of promotion when they brought a lot of fans. I would have been ten or eleven at the time and can remember that I was by myself at the back of the Grange End when City were awarded a penalty. I'm not sure why I was stood where I was, as opposed to the Boys enclosure where I normally went, but it meant I had a poor view of what was happening and so, after seeing Toshack run up to take the spot kick, I lost sight of what was going on and joined in with the celebrations that were going on around me which followed a second or two later, but it was only when the game restarted that I realised City had missed the penalty and I was in amongst Coventry fans!

I can't remember there being any trouble that day though, which is in contrast to what happened at that game with Man United in 74/75. Once again, I was at the back of the Grange End and, just before the match started, I can remember looking around the ground and seeing fighting in the other three sides of Ninian Park, whereas I felt pretty safe where I was because it seemed to be nearly all City fans around me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Didn't Portsmouth famously show up at about 1pm to "take" the Grange End?
    I was a Grange End regular during the mid 70s, and the myth going around in those days was the pompey were the last team to actually "take" the Grange End, as they turned up for when the gates opened, and they were never ever 'removed' during the match. This was supposed to have happened in '68. I suppose it was either seasons 67/68 or 68/69

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Indeed it was but I guess like me you don’t know the answer.

I do remember Kung fu stars & oranges with razor blades being launched by Villa fans
    Was this the match that was played in October '69? If so, it was the first time I witnessed really bad hooliganism at NP. Loads of fans taken out from the Grange End with blood on them, by the police. The fighting for the entire match. I was in the enclosure with my dad and I paid more attention to the aggro than the actual match sadly, which we won I think 4-1. I remember Tosh scored twice and Ronnie Bird scored from the penalty spot at the Canton End

I remember a cup game vs Leeds 1972? The Grange End was full of city fans, when we saw a horde of Leeds fans come in the Bob Bank from behind the Canton. We all hid our scarves and started chanting "Yoo- ny-ted" for a couple of minutes, as the Leeds fans made their way towards us.
    When they got to the Bob/Grange corner, we all raised our scarves and chanted "City" and moved towards them.
    Never seen such a 'horde' turn and run so fast.
    Then the chant went up - "you'll never take the Grange End"

Happy days. childish, but happy.

I think there were over 50,000 there that day.

When I started watching City and for a long time after the Grange End was the away end.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    When I started watching City and for a long time after the Grange End was the away end.
    was that after the big wooden stand was pulled down? (Post Bradford)

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I remember a cup game vs Leeds 1972? The Grange End was full of city fans, when we saw a horde of Leeds fans come in the Bob Bank from behind the Canton. We all hid our scarves and started chanting "Yoo- ny-ted" for a couple of minutes, as the Leeds fans made their way towards us.
    When they got to the Bob/Grange corner, we all raised our scarves and chanted "City" and moved towards them.

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/26-02-...20v%20LUFC.htm

I dont remember the big open stand. My memories of the grange was an open terrace.

I had the misfortune of arriving early for a match against WBA in 1973 (I think), and there were running battles from the Grange End and all along the Bob Bank for what seemed like ages. No stewards or policing in the ground at all and it was just bedlam.
    Never turned up before 2:30 again on a Saturday for over 30 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    That's the one.
    One of those rare occasions when we lost to leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I dont remember the big open stand. My memories of the grange was an open terrace.
    Not the "real " Grange End then.

The old Grange End came down in the late 70s due to Ninian being the home ground for Wales and the government changed the safety at football grounds act.
    Bradford was 1985.

I was at the last game of the season maybe 1983/4
    Chelsea needed a win or a draw for promotion
    Chelsea fans had the entire Grange End/Grandstand and Canton Stand
    City we’re 3-0 up and I’ve never seen so much fighting
    Battles going on both ends of the Bob bank
    I was 13/14 at the time
    Chelsea pulled one back on about 82 minutes
    Unbelievably the game finished 3-3
    Carnage outside the ground
    It would have been so much worse if City had won 😂😂🤪

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Even smoking was deemed to be sophisticated once……

People today can’t quite comprehend the stuff that happened in the 70’s…it was wild like many things I guess, with little else to do. 3 TV channels back then remember and no remote! I’d say in the 80’s it got nasty and organised aswell as being dangerous. I didn’t think the 90’ and 00’s were as bad as people made out in comparison and can’t actually recall proper toe to toe stuff going on at Ninian en mass like it was in the 70’s for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I was 13/14 at the time
    It would have been so much worse if City had won 😂😂🤪
    I was a couple of years older and sat with a mate and his dad in the Canton. They left at 3-0 and missed the last 10 minutes .

https://youtu.be/kISG08I9Xuc

Wow
    Brought back memories lol
    Typical City imploding 😩

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I was a Grange End regular during the mid 70s, and the myth going around in those days was the pompey were the last team to actually "take" the Grange End, as they turned up for when the gates opened, and they were never ever 'removed' during the match. This was supposed to have happened in '68. I suppose it was either seasons 67/68 or 68/69
    I was there, a miserable paissing down type of day. I think it was about 72 or 73. They got there early and i think most of the Grange enders stayed at home that day and watched the racing. As a result there wasn't enough numbers to displace them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I was 13/14 at the time
    It would have been so much worse if City had won ������
    The 3-3 v Chelsea was March 31st 1984
    The last game of that season was home to Sheffield weds who brought 1000s they were going for the championship.