+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Messi to PSG

Messi to PSG

Barring a last-minute intervention from Cousin Vinnie, it looks like Messi is about to sign for PSG. Sensible I guess - French League is a two or three horse race, at best.

Re: Messi to PSG

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Barring a last-minute intervention from Cousin Vinnie, it looks like Messi is about to sign for PSG. Sensible I guess - French League is a two or three horse race, at best.
    as opposed to any of the other big leagues?

How do they get under FFP?

That would be Mbappe, Neymar and Messi on their books. That would put most clubs in breach of FFP alone.

I would have thought pep would have got him there, be great to see him here. What’s the point in going to PSG? Another league title and probable champions league failure? Similar to Man City maybe but I would have thought they’d have the edge over Paris as it’s not like he needs a huge salary to persuade him…..

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    How do they get under FFP?

That would be Mbappe, Neymar and Messi on their books. That would put most clubs in breach of FFP alone.
    Some dodgy sponsors no doubt

It's alright. He's worth half of what he was before Covid so it's fine.....

If was so upset at leaving Barca could he not have taken a reduction in wages , he must be a very wealthy man ,probably could play for free or love of his club ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If was so upset at leaving Barca could he not have taken a reduction in wages , he must be a very wealthy man ,probably could play for free or love of his club ?
    He apparently accepted 50% wages but it was still not doable.

I am surprised La Liga haven't found some way of pushing this through as losing Messi certainly weakens their product for the immediate future at least.

He's a footballer mate, not a golden gloves best actor winner. Hardly faked the tears did he.

Love this board

He apparently accepted 50% wages but it was still not doable.

I am surprised La Liga haven't found some way of pushing this through as losing Messi certainly weakens their product for the immediate future at least.
    Allegedly that is part of the tactic to force a change of rule .

It's a remarkable wage , his last contract was an annual salary of £78 million, yes he's a great but for the player ,club and agent to apply these contract changes is obscene.

Messi and his handlers would know the effects of his demands on a stupidly run club , no tears from me .

I'm sure Messi will recover .

Allegedly that is part of the tactic to force a change of rule .

It's a remarkable wage , his last contract was an annual salary of £78 million, yes he's a great but for the player ,club and agent to apply these contract changes is obscene.

Messi and his handlers would know the effects of his demands on a stupidly run club , no tears from me .

I'm sure Messi will recover .
    He’s been there most of his life and it’s his home, he doesn’t need PSG cash that’s for sure. La liga must be run by Madrid people

He's not even Premier League quality though...or he'd be there now.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post

When his contract ran out he became a free agent, so rather than extend his existing contract Barca had to sign him as a new recruit.
    Under Spanish regs, he can't go to a new contract for less than 50% of his previous one, and Barca can't sign anyone if their wage bill is >70% of their turnover ( it's currently about 90% without Messi ).

So even if he played for free, they still couldn't sign him.

Whats wierd is that Barca have allowed this position to happen - it's almost as if they didn't want him, but couldn't be seen to show him the door.

Why Barca signed aguero and depay and a couple of others I don't know if they really wanted to keep Messi.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    When his contract ran out he became a free agent, so rather than extend his existing contract Barca had to sign him as a new recruit.
    Under Spanish regs, he can't go to a new contract for less than 50% of his previous one, and Barca can't sign anyone if their wage bill is >70% of their turnover ( it's currently about 90% without Messi ).

So even if he played for free, they still couldn't sign him.

Whats wierd is that Barca have allowed this position to happen - it's almost as if they didn't want him, but couldn't be seen to show him the door.

Why Barca signed aguero and depay and a couple of others I don't know if they really wanted to keep Messi.
    Ya’d have thought they’d have people to foresee these things, but maybe they’ve been let go to save costs.

What I don’t understand is that if Messi on 50% is not doable, then how were they allowed to keep him on his previous contract? Are these La Liga rules new?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Ya’d have thought they’d have people to foresee these things, but maybe they’ve been let go to save costs.

What I don’t understand is that if Messi on 50% is not doable, then how were they allowed to keep him on his previous contract? Are these La Liga rules new?
    Moreover how the hell do RM get away with paying most of their team 250k a week?

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    More like they wont pay the money or run a risk , as it may turn out that the premier league does fit his skill /mind set at the age he is now , every league is different and there have been many big players that have failed to fulfil their full potential in the premiership , however they have flourished in other leagues , sometimes its just down to differences such as familiarity , adjusting and feeling comfortable in a English speaking country ,missing Hispanic / Latin food ,culture and language , physicality and tempo between the leagues , playing Burnely on a wet /windy evening .

For me that's what makes CR7 stand out more .

More like they wont pay the money or run a risk , as it may turn out that the premier league does fit his skill /mind set at the age he is now , every league is different and there have been many big players that have failed to fulfil their full potential in the premiership , however they have flourished in other leagues , sometimes its just down to differences such as familiarity , adjusting and feeling comfortable in a English speaking country ,missing Hispanic / Latin food ,culture and language , physicality and tempo between the leagues , playing Burnely on a wet /windy evening .

Messi would rip the league a new one

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

Messi would rip the league a new one
    Messi's record against English clubs - 22 goals/6 assists in 30 games

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post

The rules only apply to making a "new" signing, which as Messi had become a free agent he was. If they ahd just extended his original contract it would have been ok.

Barca have just lost Aguero for 10 weeks to injury also. Not having much luck this last week are they.

If Benteke can score 10 goals a season, I'm sure Messi would be ok.

It's alright. He's worth half of what he was before Covid so it's fine.....
    Covid 9.5 now, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Moreover how the hell do RM get away with paying most of their team 250k a week?
    Believe their bill was less than barca (with Messi) they also have less debt.

Yawn