+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sol Bamba - signed for Boro

Sol Bamba - signed for Boro

Sol has now officially signed for Boro on a one year playing contract combined with academy coaching.

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/sol-bamba...p-for-the-boro

Good luck to him. I can't see him playing much, but at least he has another year and a role with the Boro academy.

I would have loved Sol to remain at Cardiff. Not as a player, but as a coach and ambassador. However (like with Johnny Williams) what seemed at one stage to be a commitment from the club (Sol says he expected to stay at Cardiff in some capacity for another year) disappeared as the last season ended.

I'm not clear how much Mick was driving those decisions. He seemed to want and expect Williams to stay, but when it came to Sol his recent interview response was odd. He said he had the conversation with Sol (who was seriously ill at the time) but there was no place for him in the playing squad or as a first team coach. He said he didn't know where Sol was with his badges, and doubted he would want to coach in the academy. So a parting of the ways....

But academy coaching is exactly what Sol has signed up for at Boro. He may also have hopes of playing Championship football - which may be unlikely but would not have been even a possibility at Cardiff - but he seems to have been discarded by our club without a serious conversation about the options. It is easy enough to find out where Sol is with his badges and if he would want to coach in the academy!

It may be that the Board (I assume Mick is in the conversation) have decided that Williams, Bamba, Bennett etc had to go to reduce wages and create space for u23s to break in. If so, fair enough. But it could have been done and explained much better.

Re: Sol Bamba - signed for Boro

My interpretation is that Sol wanted to have a chance of playing football (and getting paid a footballer's wage) whereas City wanted him as a coach with potential game time for U23's (and getting paid a junior coaching staff wage) which is where the division happened.

If he gets game time at Boro then it's the right decision for him, but if he finishes this season without game time then hasn't he just walked away from the club who did him right to go back to the manager who has consistently done him right?

I'm sure he'll get a big cheer when he comes back here but I'm also sure that if he really wanted to stay (on a much reduced wage) he could have.

The only surprise is that it’s not a four year deal.

Here we go, bash the club without knowing the full facts.

The club has looked after Sol for 2 years with no return on the pitch. They even extended his contract knowing he was doing to be out for 9 months and unlikely to be able to perform to a high standard again after such a bad injury.

Micks job is to look after the first team. Maybe he didn’t know the situation with Sol and his badges because Sol is not in the first team picture. It’s not up to Mick to decide if there are positions available in the academy for Sol. As he’s stated there’s nothing available in the first team, which is his prerogative.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

The club has looked after Sol for 2 years with no return on the pitch. They even extended his contract knowing he was doing to be out for 9 months and unlikely to be able to perform to a high standard again after such a bad injury.

Micks job is to look after the first team. Maybe he didn’t know the situation with Sol and his badges because Sol is not in the first team picture. It’s not up to Mick to decide if there are positions available in the academy for Sol. As he’s stated there’s nothing available in the first team, which is his prerogative.
    This could be the first time ever but totally agree with this 😀

Very well put.

I'm not bashing the club. I usually end up on the 'defend the club' side of arguments on here.

I am surprised that Mick can say he didn't know Sol's situation re badges or academy training after describing a conversation he had with Sol about his future. It was surely easy enough to ask him? When the result is that Sol ends up at Boro with a role in academy coaching (with a photoshopped picture with Cardiff kit replaced by Boro kit to announce it) I think my comment is fully justified.

I'm sure in an interview I saw Sol himself said he wanted to still be playing. I don't read anymore into it other than we obviously didn't think he could for us.

Shame as it would be nice to have had him start his coaching here but wasn't meant to be.

All the best Sol.

Well for a miserable looking git, you are on the ball, as Greavesie and Saint would say

while most of us like Sol and good luck to him

Was he ever going to get much game time, the answer is no

he wanted another season as a player, he was offered a coaching role ( was it the money that he didnt like ? ? ? or does he really think he should be playing 1st team football regularly )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    while most of us like Sol and good luck to him

Was he ever going to get much game time, the answer is no

he wanted another season as a player, he was offered a coaching role ( was it the money that he didnt like ? ? ? or does he really think he should be playing 1st team football regularly )
    Not according to our manager.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Not according to our manager.
    Oh i thought i had read a interview with Sol and he said he had