+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dreadful home form in derby matches continues for Cardiff – dodgy defending to the fore.

Dreadful home form in derby matches continues for Cardiff – dodgy defending to the fore.

Re: Dreadful home form in derby matches continues for Cardiff – dodgy defending to the fore.

It appears that, because of size dominance, our 3 CB's favour backing-off until they're in our box and ignoring the space occupied by a 10 or forward holding back which is either defended by CM or not at all.

The combination of Flint and Morrison has never worked well in open play and by March of next year we should be looking at one starting only. Morrison isn't doing enough to cover for Flint's limitations.

If I remember one of the complaints in pre-season was that we were so defensive yet coughed up so many good chances in each game played - much of pre-season doesn't matter but a few things become notable in hindsight.

A lot of that is Ralls being isolated when Pack goes forward, as he did well to accept nice ball from Bagan who hadn't taken option of cross with Pack sliding it into Moore in really pleasing combination, due to no CB stepping up or Bacuna...well, he's struggling this year in his current barely-defined role. I don't think he's trusted defensively and Mick has tried to engineer a way of helping out CM and AM but neither is happening.

Giles was at his least effective yesterday and part of that was Bristol doubling up on him. Wilson had Ojo or Murphy to take some of they eyes off him but who does Giles have? How much would we lose if Vaulks played next to Ralls and Pack played the Bacuna role?

Re: Dreadful home form in derby matches continues for Cardiff – dodgy defending to the fore.

I thought Weimann's goal was a corker and quite liked Massengo who's cheeky back-heel started the move that led to the cross.

I mentioned in another thread that I don't think Moore is quite right but I don't know what's causing it. Off the ball, his body language seems wrong but as I've said elsewhere it's just a feeling.

I did mention that communication on the pitch is something that I feel is a problem and I've made no secret that I think it was time this season for a change in Captain to freshen things up. It's been my feeling for a while now and I would have made the change after relegation but that drum has been well and truly beaten so I'll make this my last comment on the matter.

It's really hard for me to see where 20 goals from Moore are going to come from this season as he's constantly surrounded by 3 or 4 opposition players when any ball is lumped in his general direction. I think he's a really good footballer and has better control on the ball than many other city players but just isn't given the room. He's not a head-tennis player for sure.