+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Cardiff City crisis years in the making, but why have things come to a head so quickly?

A Cardiff City crisis years in the making, but why have things come to a head so quickly?

The most negative team selection I’ve seen in my fifty eight years as a City fan.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: A Cardiff City crisis years in the making, but why have things come to a head so quickly?

"Those in charge of the club should be looking at themselves tonight because they’ve allowed this situation to fester through their arrogance, lack of football knowledge and foresight – we need, and have needed for years, more than your much vaunted (by yourselves anyway) transfer committee, you’ve allowed the club to stagnate and a huge opportunity provided by Vincent Tan’s investment is being missed on a spectacular scale."

I've always thought of Dalman and Choo (especially Dalman) as incompetent, but their continued mismanagement of the club is bordering on negligence now.

Re: A Cardiff City crisis years in the making, but why have things come to a head so quickly?

You've echoed all out thoughts and I'm glad you noticed the poor attendance

In your team lists, of thumping it forward to 7 ft tall players, you left out one of the biggest, Northampton Town, under Dave Bowen

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You've echoed all out thoughts and I'm glad you noticed the poor attendance

In your team lists, of thumping it forward to 7 ft tall players, you left out one of the biggest, Northampton Town, under Dave Bowen
    Northampton were the first team I saw us play, they were on their way up the divisions when I saw them and I can remember them going all the way down again, but I was too young to take in how they were playing - I didn't realise they were that sort of team, but they'd be another side which benefitted, for a while at least, from playing that way.

Northampton were a big, powerful team when we met them in the Play Offs in 1997 as well, but we're breaking the mould with hoof and run football - for all of the good it's doing us.

Don’t believe it has occurred so quickly, it’s been on the cards for quite a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Don’t believe it has occurred so quickly, it’s been on the cards for quite a while now.
    I was thinking in terms of how quickly the crowd seem to have turned, I thought they stuck with the side more than they deserved against Bournemouth - as I mentioned, I think people saw that team selection and said "what the f*?k!".

I was adamant MM wasn't for us when he came.
    This was all foreseeable there was no way he was going to take the club forward.
    Absolute shocking appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    This was all foreseeable there was no way he was going to take the club forward.
    Could be down to 19/20th tonight.

Funny thing is we're not even doing the basics of hoofball right

We're not pressing in unison, were not first to the second balls, we're not condensing when under pressure

Every single diagonal ball cuts us like a hot knife through butter and the whole premise of this kind of physical football requires everyone to give it all, it's been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Me too. 👆🏻

I think that we’re now at the stage where those of us asking for widespread change (not just the manager) have reached a critical mass and the DML squad have gone quiet, as the only thing they had to cling on before was the perception that results were fine.
    Now for the biggest cliché of them all: “the results speak for themselves”. Well, the result show that this manager hasn’t a clue what he’s doing and the last few years show that the board don’t either.
    I’m sick of all the patronising fudge coming out from the management and board. Reporters need to start asking the awkward questions, because (another cliché) there are a couple of elephants in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

We're not pressing in unison, were not first to the second balls, we're not condensing when under pressure

Every single diagonal ball cuts us like a hot knife through butter and the whole premise of this kind of physical football requires everyone to give it all, it's been lost.
    This is spot on. The first thing Mick did when he came in was getting the team to press high up the pitch. And when we won the ball there we had the quality in Wilson, Ojo and Moore to make use of it. The press has disappeared along with the quality. Teams are waltzing through us.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Agreed.

Three of our last five league defeats have been by four goals or more. We've conceded two fives and a four in our last sixteen league matches - those are relegation statistics.

Why so quickly ?
    Whilst the old adage 'the table doesn't lie' is probably correct 95% of the time, in City's case it certainly does, and has been. Simply, by players coming in and going out, we've arrived at a squad that is bottom half league 1 at best. Stripped off the final remnants of pace and skill in the summer, there's nothing other than goals from crosses to threaten our Championship opponents. Heaven knows where the next point will come from, let alone a win !

West Brom cut through us so easily last night that my mate and I resorted to laughter. Most disappointing is that West Brom didn't even play particularly well themselves, they were just competent and still managed 4! They missed a number of chances and there were scenarios where if they'd made another decision they'd have been through again, it was laughable

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    West Brom cut through us so easily last night that my mate and I resorted to laughter. Most disappointing is that West Brom didn't even play particularly well themselves, they were just competent and still managed 4! They missed a number of chances and there were scenarios where if they'd made another decision they'd have been through again, it was laughable
    You're right, West Brom looked to me to get very complacent very quickly. For the most part, their football was as dire as City's. The difference was they were capable of displaying some genuine quality at times, but in truth they didn't need to do much to win.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Three of our last five league defeats have been by four goals or more. We've conceded two fives and a four in our last sixteen league matches - those are relegation statistics.
    Minor point, but it's three of the last six league defeats:

0-5 v Sheffield Weds
    1-2 v Bristol City
    0-1 v Coventry
    0-1 v Bournemouth
    1-5 v Blackburn
    0-4 v West Brom

I reckon you've tried to erase the Bristol City defeat from you memory.

Can we actually blame the board too much for this. We were a bit dubious when he came here but it was only till the end of the season and he started brilliantly. It looked like the right decision had been made. When they gave him a two year contract it did not look like a bad decision. Hell we were worried he be poached by another club at the time.

Did any of us predict it would go so wrong so quickly. I thought we would be in the vicinity of the playoffs this season, now I think MM could get us relegated. Don't really think the board could have predicted that would happen great football knowledge or not. None of us did. Easy to criticise the board but I don't think they have done too much wrong.

Those Alan Durban Rusell Slade days had similar moments bring back Neil