+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tomlin Released

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tomlin Released

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I have no issues with Tomlin going but the timing shows a complete lack of footballing brains at the club.

Any decent football person would have recommended that Tomlin was offloaded, even paid off, in the summer so that we could have replaced him. Everyone (well obviously not everyone but certainly us fans) could see Tomlin would never play more than 10% of a season for us and his fitness and injury issues weren't getting any better.

Holding onto him hamstrung us in the transfer market and look at the state we are in.

Doing it now means that any replacement (and I doubt there will be) will be players out of contract who haven't even played since last season or had a pre season. They will be well off the pace.

However, they will still be fitter than Tomlin!

Some of the personal attacks on him though are OTT.
    Surely they would have to to pay up his full contract. It's not like he's going to get another one like the one he signed. I can't see where the club would've made a saving, unless something was written into his contract. Here you go Lee, would you take 50% of your contract so that you bugger off? Not a chance. He's finished, this was his last payout.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Surely they would have to to pay up his full contract. It's not like he's going to get another one like the one he signed. I can't see where the club would've made a saving, unless something was written into his contract. Here you go Lee, would you take 50% of your contract so that you bugger off? Not a chance. He's finished, this was his last payout.
    There must have been some financial benefit to the club in ending the contract. I have no doubt Tomlin was paid up the majority of what he would have collected in the physios room or on his sofa - but not all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

Well, good point, but... if you were Tomlin would you prefer to....

have to come into training every day, be officially employed by city, attend all the necessary training and PR activities ... for 100% of your salary knowing you will never be fit enough or picked again....

Or

Take a 50% or 40% hit on our contract and be released immediately to pursue whatever interests you have - inside or outside of football.

Personally I would take the latter.

He can get another club in January in England, or abroad now (India?) if he is able to .. or pursue his other business ventures.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Well, good point, but... if you were Tomlin would you prefer to....

have to come into training every day, be officially employed by city, attend all the necessary training and PR activities ... for 100% of your salary knowing you will never be fit enough or picked again....

Or

Take a 50% or 40% hit on our contract and be released immediately to pursue whatever interests you have - inside or outside of football.

Personally I would take the latter.

He can get another club in January in England, or abroad now (India?) if he is able to .. or pursue his other business ventures.
    As a free agent, can't he get a new club tomorrow?