+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Watching Forest Green Rovers Live Chat

Watching Forest Green Rovers Live Chat

I'm becoming more and more of a fan of FGR.

They seem like such a well run club with a great inclusive atmosphere.

I'm a big fan of Dale Vince, too.

They are one of the fittest teams in League Two. A lot of them have really bought in to the veganism.

Re: Watching Forest Green Rovers Live Chat

Went there few seasons ago. We’ll run club, friendly welcome. I know they have plans to build a new stadium near Stroud by the M5. I admire what they are doing, and don’t know why other clubs have not tried to copy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Went there few seasons ago. We’ll run club, friendly welcome. I know they have plans to build a new stadium near Stroud by the M5. I admire what they are doing, and don’t know why other clubs have not tried to copy them.
    Already nicknamed the Teletubby stadium, to be made of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Already nicknamed the Teletubby stadium, to be made of wood.
    Nicknamed by morons.

I like the look of it, personally. If it wasn't for the shitty cladding on the CCS, it could be any British stadia built in the last 25 years so good on them for being bold and progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Nicknamed by morons.

I like the look of it, personally. If it wasn't for the shitty cladding on the CCS, it could be any British stadia built in the last 25 years so good on them for being bold and progressive.
    The original design was to sink it into the ground & put grass of the roofs, hence the name

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I'm becoming more and more of a fan of FGR.

They seem like such a well run club with a great inclusive atmosphere.

I'm a big fan of Dale Vince, too.

They are one of the fittest teams in League Two. A lot of them have really bought in to the veganism.
    One day, I might start supporting them. 200 yards up the road. (I was sorely tempted to give up on Cardiff but I'm afraid its an addiction.)

Started my teaching career in the school that sold some of its land for the New Lawn.

Their old ground was far more 'atmospheric' in the conference days.

Dale Vince has a factory that creates diamonds from the air!

https://youtu.be/-Z7YSuaA1wM

They are one of the clubs that I always look out for. I remember a bunch of us driving over to Nailsea, the first time we played them in a friendly (anyone know when that was?), and have followed them from afar ever since.

I admire the ethos but they are just another rich person's hobby, like Fleetwood, Salford etc. They were an overachieving non league club for a fair time (helped by representation on the Conference board which seemingly helped them avoid relegation at least once) before Vince took over.

They've already built one new ground, however futuristic the planned one is, it's away from their town, next to a motorway junction, which seems a bit of a contradiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    One day, I might start supporting them. 200 yards up the road. (I was sorely tempted to give up on Cardiff but I'm afraid its an addiction.)

Started my teaching career in the school that sold some of its land for the New Lawn.

Their old ground was far more 'atmospheric' in the conference days.

Dale Vince has a factory that creates diamonds from the air!

https://youtu.be/-Z7YSuaA1wM
    If I lived 200 yards from any football club I'd support them. I'd never stop supporting Cardiff City but football clubs are part of the community you live in. Wherever I've lived I've gone to local football clubs. I share B.Oddie's sentiment and think they are a great example of how a football club can be run and am fascinated by their approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanishen Bull View Post
    I admire the ethos but they are just another rich person's hobby, like Fleetwood, Salford etc. They were an overachieving non league club for a fair time (helped by representation on the Conference board which seemingly helped them avoid relegation at least once) before Vince took over.

They've already built one new ground, however futuristic the planned one is, it's away from their town, next to a motorway junction, which seems a bit of a contradiction.
    Rebranded badge and colours too, of course.

I don't think Dale Vince is just another rich person. I can't think of any other green industrialists owning football clubs. I also don't see the location of the new stadium as a contradiction.

Nailsworth my old son !

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    They are one of the clubs that I always look out for. I remember a bunch of us driving over to Nailsea, the first time we played them in a friendly (anyone know when that was?), and have followed them from afar ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Nailsworth !!

Couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion.

His ambition for the club and the planet is admirable.

They are not punching above their weight. A move literally 4 miles down the road (as the bird flies) is not going to put FGR supporters off.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    If I lived 200 yards from any football club I'd support them. I'd never stop supporting Cardiff City but football clubs are part of the community you live in. Wherever I've lived I've gone to local football clubs. I share B.Oddie's sentiment and think they are a great example of how a football club can be run and am fascinated by their approach.
    When they're at home, CCFC are usually at home ... but I take your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Rebranded badge and colours too, of course.
    And shirts made of bamboo
    And electric cars as runarounds for players and staff
    And no artificial fertilizers
    And solar powered advertising hoardings
    And ... no pies

Couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion.

His ambition for the club and the planet is admirable.

They are not punching above their weight. A move literally 4 miles down the road (as the bird flies) is not going to put FGR supporters off.
    You miss my point I think. Before Vince bought them they did very well to survive in the Conference for ten years or so, that was overachieving, given their resources.

I find it difficult to believe they'd be doing so well without his backing.

Incidentally, one of Paul Parry's final games for Hereford before moving to City was at the original Lawn; he scored a hat trick in a 7-1 win.

You miss my point I think. Before Vince bought them they did very well to survive in the Conference for ten years or so, that was overachieving, given their resources.

I find it difficult to believe they'd be doing so well without his backing.

Incidentally, one of Paul Parry's final games for Hereford before moving to City was at the original Lawn; he scored a hat trick in a 7-1 win.
    Another point you made:

The New Lawn has just one new stand.

The rest (stands behind the goals) were recycled from the original lawn ... transported 100 metres up the road!

When they're at home, CCFC are usually at home ... but I take your point.
    It wasn't a dig so I apologise if it came across that way. I only go to home CCFC matches and I get the difference between a team that's in your blood to one that's geographically convenient. I just like going to see other teams play too. I suppose support can mean lots of different things. For example, I try and support the Cymru league teams whenever I can as I feel I want to do something for Welsh football. I get the addiction thing though. Sometimes this season I've thought of booking myself into The Priory!

I liked your list of Forest Green positives too. I don't see why other football clubs can't do a lot more of the same things.

And shirts made of bamboo
    And electric cars as runarounds for players and staff
    And no artificial fertilizers
    And solar powered advertising hoardings
    And ... no pies
    Revolutionary stuff, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Revolutionary stuff, of course.
    Forgot ...

AND Keiffer Moore!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Nailsworth my old son !
    My mistake. Thought I'd nailed it, but my mind is playing tricks.