+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It's Just Not Cricket - Howzat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: It's Just Not Cricket - Howzat

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I notice that now the shit hits the fan with the racism at Yorkshire county cricket, Wales are being referenced quite a lot on the news today it's no longer England it's England and Wales or ECB for short. surely it's time for our own board.
    I don't know (or care much) about a Wales Cricket Board. Plenty seem happy about the invisible and silent 'Wales' small print in the England & Wales Cricket Board letterhead. Along with the 3 lions, GSTQ, the cross of St George, 'Engerlund' chants, 'the ECB' and all the rest.

But I do agree with your point about the media suddenly remembering the "Wales' bit when there is bad news to report.

It was always a bit of a joke that Andy Murray was British when winning, but Scottish when losing - but it was true.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It was always a bit of a joke that Andy Murray was British when winning, but Scottish when losing - but it was true.
    Was it? Genuine question. I doubt one exists but if it does if like to see the analysis that supports that.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Was it? Genuine question. I doubt one exists but if it does if like to see the analysis that supports that.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/p...itish-22707443

Only fair to add that the BBC have produced some research to show that the BBC don't do this. Totally independent of course!

wonder why he returned to the county

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    wonder why he returned to the county
    I think reading between the lines, what happened is that there was racial terms used as 'banter' and probably accepted as such (rightly or wrongly) and then relationships broke down and looking back on it, it's being used (rightly or wrongly) in the case of grievance, particularly it seems in relation to issues regarding his stillborn child. Azeeem Rafiq was seemingly treated badly in that situation and he is questioning whether his race played a part in that.

I've no doubt racist abuse exists, openly and hidden, and I also have no doubt it can be used as banter in both directions. The lesson here is to never use it as banter and, obviously, to treat people well and with the upmost compassion when difficult personal circumstances occur.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think reading between the lines, what happened is that there was racial terms used as 'banter' and probably accepted as such (rightly or wrongly) and then relationships broke down and looking back on it, it's being used (rightly or wrongly) in the case of grievance, particularly it seems in relation to issues regarding his stillborn child. Azeeem Rafiq was seemingly treated badly in that situation and he is questioning whether his race played a part in that.

I've no doubt racist abuse exists, openly and hidden, and I also have no doubt it can be used as banter in both directions. The lesson here is to never use it as banter and, obviously, to treat people well and with the upmost compassion when difficult personal circumstances occur.
    Or one party were using it as banter and the other half had to accept it as "banter" because if how the culture was. That's how bullying works.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I don't know (or care much) about a Wales Cricket Board. Plenty seem happy about the invisible and silent 'Wales' small print in the England & Wales Cricket Board letterhead. Along with the 3 lions, GSTQ, the cross of St George, 'Engerlund' chants, 'the ECB' and all the rest.

But I do agree with your point about the media suddenly remembering the "Wales' bit when there is bad news to report.

That sort of biased reporting has been going on for decades.