+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radio Wales

Re: Radio Wales

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    "Cardiff have a free kick in a dangerous position...
    " and over in Llanelli the Scarletts have a scrum so let's hear the latest from there...
    (5 ninutes later)
    "while you were away Cardiff have scored"
    Back in the 90s that might have been the case when they shared a lot of their coverage between club rugby and football.

When Real Radio bought the regional rights for City games (as well as the Jacks) Radio Wales could only broadcast one game involving a Welsh team across its network. Having realised how successful Real Radio was with its football coverage, Radio Wales obtained the rights ahead of RR, which is why they only broadcast Cardiff games in the Cardiff area and so on.

We now have virtually uninterrupted coverage of all of our games, bar score updates. If there's a need to get an update from elsewhere they do when there's a break in action. There is little live rugby on Radio Wales as there's no interest in it beyond the biggest games. Often that's put on medium wave.

I just think it would be hugely improved if the commentators decided to make ball to ball commentary their number one priority (it is a radio show after all). The little bits like "the goalkeeper's brother's wife's sister used to play local parks football herself before having her first baby" might be better off canned.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Rob Phillips is very good - one of the better ones out there. Kevin Ratcliffe is the problem as he interrupts all of the time, rather than waiting for a cue to speak from RP. It then throws Rob off his flow. What makes KR worse is that he often can't identify the player he's talking about and gets it wrong too many times.
    Yes Ratcliffe is poor

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    That is just not true.

They don't.

My nephew is one of the producers.
    We have a chuckle about it on the way on from games.Personally I would be happier if they got Dai Hunt on once in a while.Apparantly he knows his football as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    We have a chuckle about it on the way on from games.Personally I would be happier if they got Dai Hunt on once in a while.Apparantly he knows his football as well.
    Dai Hunt is on every week.

I'd rather watch the match updates on my phone than listen to Radio Wales.

The constant updates from other games and wittering on about anything apart from the game they are supposed to be commentating on drives me up the wall.

How anybody can say Rob Phillips is a good radio commentator is baffling.

There are times when you hear the crowd roar after a goal is scored and you don't know whether to get excited or be despondent because you don't know whose net the ball has ended up in.

Describe who has the ball and where on the pitch he is, it's not difficult.

Tennis commentators earn their coin, get one of them in.

That is just not true.

They don't.

My nephew is one of the producers.
    Well your nephew is telling you porkies. I rang the show once and they rang me every week for months. They ring my mate from Pontypridd every week and I know they definitely ring Anne.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Back in the 90s that might have been the case when they shared a lot of their coverage between club rugby and football.

When Real Radio bought the regional rights for City games (as well as the Jacks) Radio Wales could only broadcast one game involving a Welsh team across its network. Having realised how successful Real Radio was with its football coverage, Radio Wales obtained the rights ahead of RR, which is why they only broadcast Cardiff games in the Cardiff area and so on.

We now have virtually uninterrupted coverage of all of our games, bar score updates. If there's a need to get an update from elsewhere they do when there's a break in action. There is little live rugby on Radio Wales as there's no interest in it beyond the biggest games. Often that's put on medium wave.
    We still get interruptions quite often

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Well your nephew is telling you porkies. I rang the show once and they rang me every week for months. They ring my mate from Pontypridd every week and I know they definitely ring Anne.
    He's been producing it for a few months and they don't call people. Whether they used to I don't know.

He's been producing it for a few months and they don't call people. Whether they used to I don't know.
    They definitely still do. They have to as they don’t have enough callers to fill the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Dai Hunt is on every week.
    He actually sounds quite articulate, unlike his "I'm mental, I am" football ground persona

I think Rob Phillip's is a decent commentator, not keen on his co commentators though.