+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youngsters Today

Youngsters Today

Great young lad works for me but although he’s quite bright and quick on the uptake his broader knowledge of the world of things in general gets me on times. Listening to the Steve Wright show yesterday and one of the factoids was who, when asked at customs, if he had anything to declare replied “I’ve nothing to declare but my genius”. Steve Wright wrongly said Noel Coward, I immediately said it wasn’t, it was Oscar Wilde, which Tim Smith also said to correct Wright. The young lad said “Oscar Wilde, that’s the bloke who shot his girlfriend through the bathroom door”. I just assured him that there’d be no girlfriend involved with Oscar Wilde

Re: Youngsters Today

I suspect general knowledge is not a priority for youngsters these days however youngsters bring different qualities to modern life that we oldies can't deliver.

No just youngsters.

Until recently I thought that Peaky Blinders was called Pesky Bleeders

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Great young lad works for me but although he’s quite bright and quick on the uptake his broader knowledge of the world of things in general gets me on times. Listening to the Steve Wright show yesterday and one of the factoids was who, when asked at customs, if he had anything to declare replied “I’ve nothing to declare but my genius”. Steve Wright wrongly said Noel Coward, I immediately said it wasn’t, it was Oscar Wilde, which Tim Smith also said to correct Wright. The young lad said “Oscar Wilde, that’s the bloke who shot his girlfriend through the bathroom door”. I just assured him that there’d be no girlfriend involved with Oscar Wilde
    What? Are you suggesting that big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar, the terror of the ladies, 114 illegitimate children, world heavyweight boxing champion and author of the best-selling pamphlet "Why I Like To Do It With Girls" was a nancy boy?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    What? Are you suggesting that big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar, the terror of the ladies, 114 illegitimate children, world heavyweight boxing champion and author of the best-selling pamphlet "Why I Like To Do It With Girls" was a nancy boy?
    “He’s a lovely man, funny how he never married” as my very naive Mother used to say.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I suspect general knowledge is not a priority for youngsters these days however youngsters bring different qualities to modern life that we oldies can't deliver.

Of course but he’s fascinated by run of the mill tales I tell him. I was telling him the ‘Mike Hunt’ pub telephone one today but it was spoilt by having to explain to him that pubs had public pay telephones that anybody walking past would answer. He loved the fact that very often the barmaid would pick it up after incessant ringing and grown men would freeze, she’d put her hand over the receiver and mouth “Are you here?” to the unfortunate bloke in question, him mouthing back “I’ve just left” or “Tell her you haven’t seen me all day”. It’s incredible how in such a short time the world has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Punctuation being one of them perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Oh come on! He did use a full stop.

Things like Sky Hooks, striped paint, go and get me a long weight from the store room, are alien to them

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Things like Sky Hooks, striped paint, go and get me a long weight from the store room, are alien to them
    I worked on the buildings as a student with my Dad. Got warned about most you mentioned but I was part way to the Stores before I clocked the urgent need for the different hot and cold tap washers may not have got the reception I expected!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You're in no position to be critical if you listen to Radio 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

Saturday morning, 6am religiously, Tony Blackburn, “Sounds of the 60’s”

I get that, completely. During the week (days) it's shocking.

I get that, completely. During the week (days) it's shocking.
    I’ll have you know I’m a Popmaster aficionado

Johnny Walker..Sunday..3pm..Sounds of the 70s

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Oh come on! He did use a full stop.
    Nah, it was fly shit.

Absolutely. Radio 2 listeners would have missed this morning's episode of Woman's Hour when the subject of administering CPR on hamsters was discussed.

Absolutely. Radio 2 listeners would have missed this morning's episode of Woman's Hour when the subject of administering CPR on hamsters was discussed.
    It's amazing what they get up to on that show these days. Mrs C keeps me up to date, she listens to it when I make her do the washing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It's amazing what they get up to on that show these days. Mrs C keeps me up to date, she listens to it when I make her do the washing up.
    She only washes up under duress. All that's wrong with the world!

I catch radio 4 when i visit my mother, it's fantastic and i really should listen to it more. As for Radio 2, it's awful during weekdays, reactionary while failing miserably to mask it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    She only washes up under duress. All that's wrong with the world!
    Sometimes she wears a skirt!

I catch radio 4 when i visit my mother, it's fantastic and i really should listen to it more. As for Radio 2, it's awful during weekdays, reactionary while failing miserably to mask it.
    Radio 4 is an education. Psychology, history, science and a myriad of other subjects every week. Can't live without it.

Was mouse to mouse resuscitation used as well?

My lads often have entire conversations about gaming, which is effectively a language all of its own. I can listen for ages & not understand anything they’ve said.