+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Thorne was on 10k a goal?

Peter Thorne was on 10k a goal?

Although he was a good player a 10k goal bonus back then was absurd even now it would be ridiculous.
    Thorne scored scored 17 goals
    Earnshaw on 1k a goal scored 35 goals.
    Tan and Hammam are both money wasters but considering Hammam was supposed to be a football man he didn't have a clue.

Re: Peter Thorne was on 10k a goal?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Although he was a good player a 10k goal bonus back then was absurd even now it would be ridiculous.
    Tan and Hammam are both money wasters but considering Hammam was supposed to be a football man he didn't have a clue.
    Yep

Good surfer 🏄*♀️

Yeah, but his weekly basic was £150. I have my sources as well.

Who’s incentive made them hungrier?
    Footballers should be paid on achievement, with the biggest bonus payments on when the team actually win.

The way money was chucked around for no reason was shocking and In the end cost Sam when the money ran dry and the club was taken from under him.
    I’m saying that Peter Thorne was brilliant and scored so many important goals.

His bullet like header from Willie bolands superb cross that stuffed the wurzels in the play off semi finals was sheer gold 👌

Peter Thorne was definitely magic, loved him and he loved his time at the City, he really appreciated the magic hat song.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yeah, but his weekly basic was £150. I have my sources as well.
    More like 8k i remember hearing.

Alan Lee was offered £3,000 a week, twice what he was on at Rotherham United, and the striker shook his head in amazement and said 'f**king heck'?
    OK, How about £6,000 came the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    His bullet like header from Willie bolands superb cross that stuffed the wurzels in the play off semi finals was sheer gold ��
    That was a huge one back then, I don’t think we had beaten them for ages…..the start of our rise right then

Peter Thorne was one of the best back post headers of the ball we ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Peter Thorne was one of the best back post headers of the ball we ever had.
    He played every game of that promotion season, that’s some achievement for someone who was always in the thick of the action. Wonderful player.

Thorne's ability to hold up a ball and control it was excellent as well , it brought others into play , bloody good all round striker

Although he was a good player....
    Peter Thorne retired eleven years ago. He left Cardiff City in July 2005.

You're ****ing nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Peter Thorne retired eleven years ago. He left Cardiff City in July 2005.

You're ****ing nuts.
    Where did i say he was still playing?
    I knew you would reply has soon has i mentioned his name.
    When his name is mentioned your web vibrates and along you come like a spider..
    A few of us were chatting about wages that players were paid over the years and someone reckoned only under Tan had we been paying stupid wages.
    I mentioned that i remember Ricky Wright either paying silly wages or goal bonus's has i seem to remember a falling out. Someone else said about Thorne being paid 10k a goal which i don't remember but i remember Earnie having a goal bonus.

He get's mentioned everyday on other forums.
    Are we not allowed to post about him? Are you a dictator?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He played every game of that promotion season, that’s some achievement for someone who was always in the thick of the action. Wonderful player.
    I was fishing once and Thorney walked past me with his surfboard on the way back from catching a wave

I said hey Thorney you are playing well

He said thanks mate and walked on by

Nothing more needed to be said

It was a magical moment

More like 8k i remember hearing.

Alan Lee was offered £3,000 a week, twice what he was on at Rotherham United, and the striker shook his head in amazement and said 'f**king heck'?
    OK, How about £6,000 came the reply!
    This story is normally told using Seth Johnson moving to Leeds.

Thorne was one of my favourite ever city players. As others have mentioned the header against Bristol in the play off was quality, outjumping both Butler and Carey who were decent in the air.

I saw an interview a while ago where he couldn’t believe the deal he was offered to come to Cardiff, and that the time he had here enabled him to retire financially. I’m not sure many players from that era / level could have the luxury to do the same, which shows just how much we were paying

He went through a barren period, not scoring for ages.
    But he set up loads for Ernie to knock in.

Where did i say he was still playing?
    I knew you would reply has soon has i mentioned his name.
    When his name is mentioned your web vibrates and along you come like a spider..
    A few of us were chatting about wages that players were paid over the years and someone reckoned only under Tan had we been paying stupid wages.
    I mentioned that i remember Ricky Wright either paying silly wages or goal bonus's has i seem to remember a falling out. Someone else said about Thorne being paid 10k a goal which i don't remember but i remember Earnie having a goal bonus.

He get's mentioned everyday on other forums.
    Are we not allowed to post about him? Are you a dictator?
    was the falling out you mention the mark bonner games played bonus

Considering he was on that much per goal , he was a very unselfish player.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    This story is normally told using Seth Johnson moving to Leeds.
    Didn’t PR agree a wage with Dave Jones and when Sam met him he doubled it or something like that.

How do people know about conversations Alan Lee had? What was said etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Didn’t PR agree a wage with Dave Jones and when Sam met him he doubled it or something like that.
    Don't know, I wasn't part of the negotiations on that occasion.

I knew you would reply has soon has I mentioned his name. Are we not allowed to post about him?
    You can post about Peter Thorne to your heart's content. In fact, you can post about anything or anyone to your heart's content. You're still a nutter, though.

Thorne was worth every penny, no matter what he was paid. We should be grateful that the club went in for players like that. Him and Kavanagh were instrumental in getting us on the map and establishing our club as a Championship side.