+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: City support from the Cardiff area's?

Re: City support from the Cardiff area's?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I grew up in Ely, and we had a very big support then, including the famous Millbank mob from lower Ely.
    I now live in Canton, where there is still a big interest.
    As an ex Millbank school boy, who’s from just over the border in Canton, what you say is 100% true. Spent a lot of time hanging around with my mates in lower Ely and my early City years were with my Millbank mates. Drifted apart from them in High School so was never involved with their mob after that.

Anyone remember the Graffiti that was painted on the road bridge by the maelfa shopping arcade in Llanedeyrn?

'Welcome To Trendy Land'

Top bit of Graffiti but completely inaccurate on every level.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton68 View Post
    Some are still following City but moved away from Llanrumney
    Not many. Im from Llanrumney originally and down the city every week.Well at least the crowd i used to go down with dont bother.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Back in the 70's there was a massive contingent from Llanrumney but sadly no interest anymore.

agree alfie a very healthy following back in the day from east Kairdiff ( rumney , llanrumney and trowbridge too ) st mellons was an overspill back then

my first away day in 1979/80 swindon away had a couple of coaches from that area gave me a rude awakening -lol

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    agree alfie a very healthy following back in the day from east Kairdiff ( rumney , llanrumney and trowbridge too ) st mellons was an overspill back then

my first away day in 1979/80 swindon away had a couple of coaches from that area gave me a rude awakening -lol
    The Carpenter's Arms, Rumney, always had a healthy contingent of City fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The Carpenter's Arms, Rumney, always had a healthy contingent of City fans.
    Quite a few of the Llanrumney boys drank in there.
    Sadly the pub is no more.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don’t think we get much support from the people who live in cardiff anyway, we never really have if you consider the city’s population (say 380,000), we dont even get 5%.
    Take any city whose team doesn't routinely sell out games, are they getting 5%?

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Not sure how anyone can tell unless you define a city fan as someone who walks around with a city top on. Only people who would really know will be those that have access to the ticket/members database.

Originally from Ely where there was a good following. Now in Heath and a decent following here I'd say although the train isn't overly packed on the way to matches

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Why would there be a Canton branch? You can walk to the ground, there's no need to have any organisation. There's also less need to advertise yourself as a Cardiff fan if you live in the city. It's the same with flags, people from a town outside Cardiff are likely to put that on a flag, whereas you're less likely to put your suburb of Cardiff on there

What do you mean don't have a pub? The Admiral Napier, Canton Cross, Canton Hotel, even the Landsdowne (last time I was there) all have a bunch of Cardiff City memerobilia in there and that's just a small corner of Canton.
    Well having a few programmes framed on the wall in a pub near the ground frequented on match days is not really the same

I mean people can argue the toss all day that Cardiff has good support from Cardiff itself but that's being in denial .

CCFC has always had a good following from outside the city limits , its in Cardiff where the support is lacking . Its woefully embarrassing to see man United and Liverpool tops around Canton on match day .

You wouldn't see that in a proper football city

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Take any city whose team doesn't routinely sell out games, are they getting 5%?
    Swansea City's crowds are similar to ours this season .

There is no doubt at all that a far higher percentage of locals support Swansea City than Cardiffians support Cardiff

I think we have our hard-core but unless the team is winning people just can't be bothered unless it's for the big games

Even without our catchment area Cardiff has a big enough population to get far bigger gates

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well having a few programmes framed on the wall in a pub near the ground frequented on match days is not really the same

I mean people can argue the toss all day that Cardiff has good support from Cardiff itself but that's being in denial .

CCFC has always had a good following from outside the city limits , its in Cardiff where the support is lacking . Its woefully embarrassing to see man United and Liverpool tops around Canton on match day .

talking bollux as usual Ipswich is a proper football town but you do see Premier league tops being worn around the town on any day its NOT a Cardiff only thing despite you always trying to promote that fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    talking bollux as usual Ipswich is a proper football town but you do see Premier league tops being worn around the town on any day its NOT a Cardiff only thing despite you always trying to promote that fiction
    In denial again

You might get Premier League tops in towns like Ipswich but Cardiff is flooded with them

Ipswich is a small place where the locals support their club . Here they have to be dragged to the ground . I am afraid that's the way it's always been . You can stamp your feet as much as you like but this is the problem we have always had . Blame it on lack of success , blame it on Cardiff having lots of other things to do , blame it on the Premier league but the support this club gets from Cardiff is not good enough .

In denial again

You might get Premier League tops in towns like Ipswich but Cardiff is flooded with them

Ipswich is a small place where the locals support their club . Here they have to be dragged to the ground . I am afraid that's the way it's always been . You can stamp your feet as much as you like but this is the problem we have always had . Blame it on lack of success , blame it on Cardiff having lots of other things to do , blame it on the Premier league but the support this club gets from Cardiff is not good enough .
    I'm just not sure it's that much different to anywhere else other than a few places maybe.

Most towns and cities have fairweather fans, most have people that enjoy other things on offer.

There are actual real life Man United fans who are born and bred in London, it's a weird world.

On the football shirt thing it's a funny thing, I've not bought or had one for nearly 20 years now. My man United supporting mate buys one every season and gets their latest player on the back. Then watches them on the tele. The shirt is how he shows his support.

Having known him for years I'm quite certain he would only ever go to see us regularly if we were a big club challenging for things. If he was born in London at the same time he'd probably be a cockney red.

People like that must be everywhere and they may as well be into ball room dancing for all it matters to the club.

I’ve been living in London for nearly a decade now and one thing I’ve experienced in work and my social life here that’s surprised me is how few “plastics” (I don’t care much for that term but it’s shorthand that’s understood) I’ve come across. In the minority of football fans I’ve got to spend any time with.

Nearly everyone I’ve met that’s a football fan supports a club from either the city/town/area they grew up in or it was where one of their parents were from and passed it on. Smaller sample size of course but very different to my experience of living in South Wales.

In denial again

Not often I agree with a lefty but he’s right…..shocking support from the city itself, a smattering all over the suburbs but you can go into the city centre which will be packed with most oblivious ccfc are even playing. The West Country is similar to wales in that it has lots of glory boys too

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Not sure how anyone can tell unless you define a city fan as someone who walks around with a city top on. Only people who would really know will be those that have access to the ticket/members database.
    I would expect the ticket/members database to have the address / postcode of everybody that has bought a ticket over at least the past five+ years. Don’t you need to give an address to purchase a ticket these days?

I’d love to see a heat map of South Wales showing where the core numbers for season tickets and memberships are, and things like STs per population of each postal area… at least we’d get some insight then, like where the club needs to do some work to attract support. It’s very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post
    I would expect the ticket/members database to have the address / postcode of everybody that has bought a ticket over at least the past five+ years. Don’t you need to give an address to purchase a ticket these days?

I’d love to see a heat map of South Wales showing where the core numbers for season tickets and memberships are, and things like STs per population of each postal area… at least we’d get some insight then, like where the club needs to do some work to attract support. It’s very easy to do.
    The club are not going to do that , it's far too simple

One thing that surprised me was that something like 75 percent on man United season ticket holders came from greater Manchester according to their database ?

The club are not going to do that , it's far too simple

One thing that surprised me was that something like 75 percent on man United season ticket holders came from greater Manchester according to their database ?
    Why does that surprise you?

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Why does that surprise you?
    Because United and Liverpool have such a countrywide support , I thought the locals would be squeezed out

Maybe they are and it's just rich locals

THeyve always been the best supported team in England though, even prior to Premier League when they weren't very good (relatively speaking).

The population is just under 3million people and pretty much everyone supports either them or Man City. The season ticket prices are not that expensive and the countrywide support are in the main TV watchers.

I do agree with you on the other points you've made about how shite the support from Cardiff is in general though.

Doncaster, Sunderland, Leicester & Coventry are similar sizes to Cardiff but the football followings seem to be dramatically different.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Doncaster, Sunderland, Leicester & Coventry are similar sizes to Cardiff but the football followings seem to be dramatically different.
    The advantage we have over Docaster Leicester and Coventry is the catchment areas. Those clubs have areas outside of the City who have a choice of clubs. The Valleys with us provides a significant percentage of our support.

In denial? You're the one convinced people in Canton don't support Cardiff because they don't have a supporter's club to take them to games

The truth is you have nothing to back up what you're saying and you're pedalling the same old crap about Cardiff that you always do. Every city in Britain have people who support the big PL teams, Cardiff is no different.

Of course Cardiff does draw support from outside the city, but it does from inside it too

This is the thing I don't understand , we are more successful now , an established second flight team , yet there was more support when we were crap

I don't get it
    Combination of things -

My opinion is people are suckered into an identity regardless of the success

Went to Newcastle away once, it's night and day in terms of support. Everything was geared towards being Geordie and a toon supporter - shirts were worn with pride everywhere. They also don't have a hotbed of Liverpool/Man Utd etc supporters because they've always had some level of success, nor do they compete with rugby.

It's more difficult here in Cardiff, but we can do more