+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: City support from the Cardiff area's?

Re: City support from the Cardiff area's?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I haven't seen any City fans in St Mellons area, apart from my sons (and one of them now lives in Roath)
    I know a couple from there

The Monday morning after wed lost to Liverpool in the Carling Cup I dropped my Daughter off to her primary school. Some absolute w@nker had sent his kid into school in a Liverpool top.

What a pr!ck.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Back in the 70's there was a massive contingent from Llanrumney but sadly no interest anymore.
    Again..know fans from this area.

Not all of them walk around with flags and tips on

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Well, i'm just around the corner from you, so there's at least 2 of us The Youngers Chippy on Caerphilly Rd is kitted out in City pics etc.The Barbers shop opposite the Birchgrove pub has a City themed stain glass window and a little further north is the butvhers arms in rhiwbina which used to be packed out with City memorabilia. North cardiff is a hotbed
    Ha yes forgot about Youngers chippy. Forgot about that !

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    talking bollux as usual Ipswich is a proper football town but you do see Premier league tops being worn around the town on any day its NOT a Cardiff only thing despite you always trying to promote that fiction
    Claps and claps.

Don't bother though, you won't beat him in an argument because he refuses to give an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    I’ve been living in London for nearly a decade now and one thing I’ve experienced in work and my social life here that’s surprised me is how few “plastics” (I don’t care much for that term but it’s shorthand that’s understood) I’ve come across. In the minority of football fans I’ve got to spend any time with.

Nearly everyone I’ve met that’s a football fan supports a club from either the city/town/area they grew up in or it was where one of their parents were from and passed it on. Smaller sample size of course but very different to my experience of living in South Wales.
    London has 6 EPL clubs. 3 of them are amongst the biggest clubs in the country and the 4th is not too far behind. How many Brentford, QPR, Orient or Wimbledon fans have you met?

I was up in Sunderland recently and it was evident how much the football club meant to the whole city. Shirts everywhere and memorabilia in a lot of shops and pubs. It has a smaller population than Cardiff and a large rival up the road but maintains a diehard supporter base despite a struggling team.

Always felt like the stadium being in Canton was a factor for people in east Cardiff as it's awkward to get to. Imagine if we had the Arms Park; the walk up crowd on a Saturday would be huge!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    In denial? You're the one convinced people in Canton don't support Cardiff because they don't have a supporter's club to take them to games

The truth is you have nothing to back up what you're saying and you're pedalling the same old crap about Cardiff that you always do. Every city in Britain have people who support the big PL teams, Cardiff is no different.

Of course Cardiff does draw support from outside the city, but it does from inside it too
    I live in CF11 top of Penarth Road/Riverside, 10 mins from The Grange so pretty close to CCS. Me and Mrs. C walk to matches and there are masses of local supporters. We don't see many CCFC shirt wearers ( I own one but never wear it). We don't see many scarves but usually, there's the odd hat that's years old and worn (as in distressed). If you catch a No2 Dumballs Road bus you'll even see/meet people from The Bay going to games (shock horror). Lots of students from Grangetown and Canton go in small groups. They don't wear Cardiff tops.

It's utter bollux that we don't get a local following and yes, it's a complete myth that we're all wearing plastic tops in the city. Of course, there're no f*ckn supporters clubs from Grangetown. The club is, well, the supporters club.

I used to wear an old battered 99 baseball cap when I was more mobile and cycled around Cardiff (sadly, something I can no longer do) and would get loads of thumbs up, comments, 'great hat' remarks from all kinds of people around the city who recognised the significance of the 99.

There's no doubting the massive support outside of the city but there's a huge very local support too. I'd argue that the club just doesn't do enough to welcome asian and muslim locals. Something Yousef was trying to do when he organsied the mural near Bute Street. The club is bloody useless when it comes to trying to attract a more diverse supporter base and there are lots of local lads who would go if they felt more welcome.

Just because we're not wearing replica CCFC shirts doesn't mean we don't exist!

In denial? You're the one convinced people in Canton don't support Cardiff because they don't have a supporter's club to take them to games

The truth is you have nothing to back up what you're saying and you're pedalling the same old crap about Cardiff that you always do. Every city in Britain have people who support the big PL teams, Cardiff is no different.

Of course Cardiff does draw support from outside the city, but it does from inside it too
    BTW, I was agreeing with you!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Again..know fans from this area.

Not all of them walk around with flags and tops on
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I live in CF11 top of Penarth Road/Riverside, 10 mins from The Grange so pretty close to CCS. Me and Mrs. C walk to matches and there are masses of local supporters. We don't see many CCFC shirt wearers ( I own one but never wear it). We don't see many scarves but usually, there's the odd hat that's years old and worn (as in distressed). If you catch a No2 Dumballs Road bus you'll even see/meet people from The Bay going to games (shock horror). Lots of students from Grangetown and Canton go in small groups. They don't wear Cardiff tops.

It's utter bollux that we don't get a local following and yes, it's a complete myth that we're all wearing plastic tops in the city. Of course, there're no f*ckn supporters clubs from Grangetown. The club is, well, the supporters club.

I used to wear an old battered 99 baseball cap when I was more mobile and cycled around Cardiff (sadly, something I can no longer do) and would get loads of thumbs up, comments, 'great hat' remarks from all kinds of people around the city who recognised the significance of the 99.

There's no doubting the massive support outside of the city but there's a huge very local support too. I'd argue that the club just doesn't do enough to welcome asian and muslim locals. Something Yousef was trying to do when he organsied the mural near Bute Street. The club is bloody useless when it comes to trying to attract a more diverse supporter base and there are lots of local lads who would go if they felt more welcome.

There's nothing more fetching than seeing pot-bellied men in their fifties shoe-horned into football tops that are designed for much fitter specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There's nothing more fetching than seeing pot-bellied men in their fifties shoe-horned into football tops that are designed for much fitter specimens.
    You trying to say I is not looking fit like!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post
    I would expect the ticket/members database to have the address / postcode of everybody that has bought a ticket over at least the past five+ years. Don’t you need to give an address to purchase a ticket these days?

I’d love to see a heat map of South Wales showing where the core numbers for season tickets and memberships are, and things like STs per population of each postal area… at least we’d get some insight then, like where the club needs to do some work to attract support. It’s very easy to do.
    I’ve always found it bizarre that the club seem hell bent on attracting more support from the valleys when they have about half a million people who live within 15 miles who never go and they fail to entice…..

Firstly that's not what I said

Secondly it's long been said that CCFC would be struggling if it wasn't for the support from the valleys , Bridgend, Barry etc

And it's been said for a long time because it's true

Cardiff based ccfc fans are either the type that know this to be true or live in denial

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I’ve always found it bizarre that the club seem hell bent on attracting more support from the valleys when they have about half a million people who live within 15 miles who never go and they fail to entice…..
    Exactly this. They/we don't do enough. I speak to lots of locals who would never think of going because they don't identify with the club. We have to do more because the local ethnicity even within a 2 or 3-mile radius is totally underrepresented

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Claps and claps.

Don't bother though, you won't beat him in an argument because he refuses to give an inch.
    Well if you think Cardiff City is represented in South East Wales and particularly in Cardiff in the same way Portsmouth are down that way I will have some of what you are smoking

Huge local support ?

Don't be daft

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Firstly that's not what I said

Secondly it's long been said that CCFC would be struggling if it wasn't for the support from the valleys , Bridgend, Barry etc

And it's been said for a long time because it's true

Cardiff based ccfc fans are either the type that know this to be true or live in denial
    Or, they may just have a different experience to you. You seem very certain of these things Sludge, I'm not sure why?

BTW, I was agreeing with you!
    If you are agreeing with him then I am afraid you are wrong

If we had huge support then we wouldn't be getting the crowds we do

Nottingham Forest
    Derby
    Portsmouth

Big local support

Not Cardiff City I am afraid

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Huge local support ?

Don't be daft
    I, know, I'm an idiot, oh wise one. It's not like I live within spitting distance of the ground or anything like that.

Exactly.
    They don't go basically

Exactly this. They/we don't do enough. I speak to lots of locals who would never think of going because they don't identify with the club. We have to do more because the local ethnicity even within a 2 or 3-mile radius is totally underrepresented
    That's been tried

The club simply play lip service to attracting people of all backgrounds

Or, they may just have a different experience to you. You seem very certain of these things Sludge, I'm not sure why?
    Look at our attendances

I, know, I'm an idiot, oh wise one. It's not like I live within spitting distance of the ground or anything like that.
    It's a shame that the inner city areas of Cardiff and the rest of the city are not as loyal as you

But if CCFC had a strong local following and was an identity like some other clubs are to their area then things might be different

But they are not

People said when we got back in the championship we have big gates

Well we have had better gates since coming back up but our support is disappointing both within Cardiff and given our huge catchment area

If our local support was better then given the size of Cardiff we would have better gates

It's just the way it is