+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bellamy's assessment of our bright young things

Re: Bellamy's assessment of our bright young things

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've been impressed with a lot of what I've read about and seen from Bellamy on here recently, but I can't see the logic in that. whenever I've seen the u23s it has been a much higher standard than the u18s, so it is always going to be riskier for a manager to promote someone straight from the 18s to the first team tha ln from the u23s.
    also if he was in charge of the pathway, just being "not a fan" of the u23s so not putting players in there seems like it isn't addressing the issues he saw with the U23s.
    I cant disagree with you, but I don't think he had anything against The City's U23's, but the U23 level in general. From what I have heard he didn't feel it was aiding their development. I believe the standard of the U23's now is much higher than it was 3-4 years ago, and it seems much more of a team than it was then-the line ups seemed to change dramatically game to game. As i said, Spence had played a number of U23 games, and I believe it was just a case of get him, and others in as Bellamy thought they were ready..

For all McCarthy did wrong, he massively improved the pathway into the first team for youngsters, although that did start under Harris as well, as I'm sure Mark Harris and Joel Bagan were already getting game time.

Warnock was never likely to be the guy to bring through a youngster unless he was absolutely sure he could rely on them. Skipping u23 football and trying to go straight from u18s to the first team was never going to happen, possibly a bit of naivety from Bellamy, or perhaps he wanted to keep them in the u18s so he got more of the credit for their eventual emergence, rather than letting the u23s coaches get the credit.
    What is it naive? In a lot of cases you're possibly bang on the money but the odd one will be good enough

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    What is it naive? In a lot of cases you're possibly bang on the money but the odd one will be good enough
    Where I was coming from was possibly a bit naive to think he could persuade Warnock to take a player from the u18s straight into the first team.
    I'm not sure what it would have taken though, probably a very successful loan move at a decent level, definitely not Weston Super Mare

Sion was named as a sub at the end of the season but there was a cock up with insurance and he had to drop out.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    Sion was named as a sub at the end of the season but there was a cock up with insurance and he had to drop out.
    He was sixteen then and playing regularly for the Under 23s, but his career then drifted for a couple of years and he got further away from the first team at eighteen than he was at sixteen, despite scoring thirty plus goals in a season for the under 18s in between times.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Reading that just makes me want Bellamy back at the club even more.
    Right? I've never been impressed by passion in a manager, but when it comes to the kids, I think it's great. I love how he both praises and criticizes every one of them. He seems like he's really connected to these boys.

He divides opinion on here (my perception being that some believe him too tough on young players) but I’m firmly in the camp of “I’d have him running our club tomorrow”. Based on my knowledge of him there’s actually nothing remotely significant that I could think of that could sway me the other way

it seems Spence is doing fairly well at Bristol Rovers. he didn't get many minutes to begin with, but has started to get a few more now, and has an impressive goals per 90 and assists per 90 record (although very few minutes so too early to read much into it yet probably)
    as I said earlier, the coach I know at rovers speaks highly of him

Where I was coming from was possibly a bit naive to think he could persuade Warnock to take a player from the u18s straight into the first team.
    I'm not sure what it would have taken though, probably a very successful loan move at a decent level, definitely not Weston Super Mare
    Right I'm with you now and agree, was never an option with Warnock. I read the post differently

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    He divides opinion on here (my perception being that some believe him too tough on young players) but I’m firmly in the camp of “I’d have him running our club tomorrow”. Based on my knowledge of him there’s actually nothing remotely significant that I could think of that could sway me the other way
    I'd have him in a heartbeat too. Also can't explain why.

The latest (fourth) VFTN interview with Bellamy, discussing a few that got away and the current state of the club and squad.

Well worth a read.

https://www.viewfromtheninian.com/20...y-the-present/

I hope he’ll be back soon. I just love his attitude and vision.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Right I'm with you now and agree, was never an option with Warnock. I read the post differently
    I'm of the opinion that Warnock caused more harm than good for us and what Bellamy's saying confirms it for me.

The way Bellamy speaks I think a director of football type position could well be the right fit for him. I'm not sure if being a manager is the right fit

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that Warnock caused more harm than good for us and what Bellamy's saying confirms it for me.

The way Bellamy speaks I think a director of football type position could well be the right fit for him. I'm not sure if being a manager is the right fit
    Agreed about Warnock and the Director of Football. His attitude towards the summer we face is just what you need and to have somewhere at the club whop actually knew what they were doing in terms of recruitment and forging a proper identity for Cardiff City would be great.

I see Bellamy is another one with no time for Under 23s football.

100% with you on this. TOBW's comment re. identity and recruitment too.

Neil Warnock through Craig Bellamy under the bus . He saw him as a threat after Craig eloquently criticised the tactics of one of our games on TV .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Neil Warnock through Craig Bellamy under the bus . He saw him as a threat after Craig eloquently criticised the tactics of one of our games on TV .
    I'd forgotten this. Good spot.

Interesting thought, never crossed my mind.

Bellamy is absolutely right when he says "If you haven’t made it at 19, 20, 21, something is wrong. "

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The latest (fourth) VFTN interview with Bellamy, discussing a few that got away and the current state of the club and squad.

Well worth a read.

https://www.viewfromtheninian.com/20...y-the-present/
    I’ve read them all now and the more I read the more I wanted him here. He just talks so differently about the game and is the complete opposite of some of the dinosaurs that are finally becoming extinct.

Will be just our luck that Swansea lose Martin and then take a punt on Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I’ve read them all now and the more I read the more I wanted him here. He just talks so differently about the game and is the complete opposite of some of the dinosaurs that are finally becoming extinct.

Will be just our luck that Swansea lose Martin and then take a punt on Bellamy
    There's an old school honestly in Bellamy's tone with a more advanced, technical way of coaching and he also mentions the personal needs of young players and how they need to be assessed based on physical development as well. I'm sure there are other coaches who speak and think in this way, although we've never really heard that from anyone connected to City.

I would like the club to take a chance on him at some point, as much out of curiosity as well as his ability to coach and motivate.

I especially liked what he said about the young players taking more risks, Bowen and Davies? He obviously believes that they have the ability and is encouraging them not to play within themselves or just be happy to be a part of it. That impressed me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's an old school honestly in Bellamy's tone with a more advanced, technical way of coaching and he also mentions the personal needs of young players and how they need to be assessed based on physical development as well. I'm sure there are other coaches who speak and think in this way, although we've never really heard that from anyone connected to City.

I would like the club to take a chance on him at some point, as much out of curiosity as well as his ability to coach and motivate.

I especially liked what he said about the young players taking more risks, Bowen and Davies? He obviously believes that they have the ability and is encouraging them not to play within themselves or just be happy to be a part of it. That impressed me the most.
    Thinking about what Malky Mackay used to call X factor players (I suppose game changers is the term used to describe them these days), it strikes me that if you think about it for this season, they are all young players apart from Keiffer Moore. We don’t have many of them, but Giles is one, Colwill can be one on his day and there are encouraging signs that Isaak Davies could be one - I think any team at Championship level needs a nucleus of around three or four such players, we’d be dangerously short of them without our youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thinking about what Malky Mackay used to call X factor players (I suppose game changers is the term used to describe them these days), it strikes me that if you think about it for this season, they are all young players apart from Keiffer Moore. We don’t have many of them, but Giles is one, Colwill can be one on his day and there are encouraging signs that Isaak Davies could be one - I think any team at Championship level needs a nucleus of around three or four such players, we’d be dangerously short of them without our youngsters.
    Yup, players who win you games with something that nobody else can do. A bit like Koumas and Nathan Blake, Chopra, Bothroyd and McCormack. They all had that bit of vision or a picture in their head before they received the ball. Not sure that can be coached although it can certainly be encouraged. I really like Davies, he makes his mind up quickly and tries the difficult things that other players either won't or can't do. It's got to come off for him if he stays brave and is encouraged by the coaching staff. Same with colwill, brave when he's facing opposition goal. We haven't had many like that. The closest was maybe Zohore during his purple patch.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Great read a really fascinating insight to the players we now see, and those we haven't so much within the first team squad in particular Spence and Bowen.

I do think we have a real good crop of youngsters.

The final section dealing with what the future holds for Craig Bellamy - he also talks about Steve Morison.

https://www.viewfromtheninian.com/20...my-the-future/