Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
The impression I’ve got watching City under Morison is that the players have been trying, but they’ve just not been good enough as a group - I don’t see much evidence of him having “lost the dressing room”. However, his comments about Isaak Davies, about our “final third” players and the team’s attitude on Saturday must all have an adverse effect on at least some of the team surely.

Good managers acknowledge that people are different and realise that they need to press different buttons with different players to get the best out of them - a bit of managerial honesty, as opposed to the bland platitudes we get from most of them these days, is to be welcomed, but, in recent weeks, I reckon Morison has gone to that well too often and he needs someone to tell him that his PR needs working on urgently.

For myself, if a manager in any profession had talked about me in the way Morison did about Isaak Davies, I would have lost any respect I may have had for him and the same would apply if it had been said about a work mate who I didn’t think deserved such treatment (I certainly don’t think Isaak did).
In my opinion a hallmark of a great manager in any walk of life is to take immediate responsibility for everything that happens on his/her watch. It even extends to the honesty of admitting personal failures and weaknesses as long as it's backed up with a determination to get it right next time.

I suspect Steve Morison would still have the support of the majority of fans if he had merely said after the Bournemouth match "I hold my hands up I didn't get that one right, I had ideas for certain players to play in a certain way but it didn't succeed. As a team we will learn lessons from this match and come back stronger and better" He could have had quiet words with Davies after the match in the dressing room.

The same on Saturday. If he had said "that was disappointing, each and all of us knows it should have been better and we will work to improve. I could have done better with my selection and tactics and some of the players will know they could have done better too but we are a solid unit and we will bounce back better for this experience"