+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bristol Airport To Expand

Bristol Airport To Expand

Re: Bristol Airport To Expand

It's hard to know what Cardiff Airports role is - small, niche I suppose. As it has been for the last 15 years or so now.

Bristol airport is much better located for it's market, but it's still sad how much we've fallen behind, as this stuff does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's hard to know what Cardiff Airports role is - small, niche I suppose. As it has been for the last 15 years or so now.

Bristol airport is much better located for it's market, but it's still sad how much we've fallen behind, as this stuff does matter.
    Might as well sell it , build some hospitals ,schools or better road infrastructures . I'm sure WAG have a plan zzzzzz

neither are particularly well located, we know when cardiff airport began to fall behind and it was a long time before the welsh government got involved

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    neither are particularly well located, we know when cardiff airport began to fall behind and it was a long time before the welsh government got involved
    Yeah, neither are well located in terms of transport links (although Bristol seems to have improved and always did a better bus link from the train station)

What I mean is that both airports effectively serve the South Wales and South West England market, and Bristol is much better located in that sense.

There are far more people live within an hour of Bristol, two hours of Bristol, three hours of BRistol etc etc

They should be building a Severnside airport near the bridge, won't happen now though

It's a shocking decision. Bristol Airport's case for expansion was full of holes (eg expected growth in business travel which just isn't going to happen, economic benefits that were massively overstated, climate impact massively understated) which the planning inspectorate have basically acknowledged but said "yeah, but go ahead anyway".

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    They should be building a Severnside airport near the bridge, won't happen now though
    There was an airport at Filton which would have been ideal, closer to Bristol AND Cardiff, and easy access from the M4, M5 and the great western mainline.
    I think the site is houses now though.

It’s in the wrong place, the other side of cardiff would be better…..

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Terry Mathews allegedly was and is still trying to get WAG interested in developing the ol Llangefni steelworks site into an airport with its existing rail and road links

Cardiff airport really hasn't had much luck with bad owners and now covid, I flew to Australia from there and was a much better long haul experience than I've ever had from elsewhere. I don't see why Cardiff can't be allowed to develop by WM by devolving ADP so it can be a long haul hub to 'level up' across the country that we are all eagerly waiting for almost 3 years on

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    Cardiff airport really hasn't had much luck with bad owners and now covid, I flew to Australia from there and was a much better long haul experience than I've ever had from elsewhere. I don't see why Cardiff can't be allowed to develop by WM by devolving ADP so it can be a long haul hub to 'level up' across the country that we are all eagerly waiting for almost 3 years on
    Yes we have the space for a long runway already so can handle the bigger planes…..a trans Atlantic hub to avoid going to Gatwick which is a nightmare would be great. When easy jet chose Bristol it was a huge blow but the airport has been badly run for years

I try and fly from Cardiff whenever possible. I hate that run to Bristol, its a pain in the arse. The relief I feel on the return flight knowing I’m landing in Cardiff is great.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I try and fly from Cardiff whenever possible. I hate that run to Bristol, its a pain in the arse. The relief I feel on the return flight knowing I’m landing in Cardiff is great.
    yeah it is great, flying to the states via Dublin is a good option from there

There was an airport at Filton which would have been ideal, closer to Bristol AND Cardiff, and easy access from the M4, M5 and the great western mainline.
    I think the site is houses now though.
    it is, looks Nice aswell, they have attempted to not make it like every other new build ( almost like a new little town from scratch ), great transport Links ( both rail and bus )

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bristol airport is in a terrible place too, a bit like ours to cardiff….even when I lived in Bristol it would take an hour to get to the bloody place

yeah it is great, flying to the states via Dublin is a good option from there
    with pre-clearance Dublin is great

Once they build the lavernock to brean severn barrage with a motorway and train line on top then it'll be a lot easier to get to Bristol airport from Cardiff and to Cardiff Airport from Bristol.

With the added bonus that it could provide enough cheap electricity for all of Wales and most of the South West, energy that is unaffected by the wholesale price of gas as well.

It will probably never happen, but it really should.

Once they build the lavernock to brean severn barrage with a motorway and train line on top then it'll be a lot easier to get to Bristol airport from Cardiff and to Cardiff Airport from Bristol.

With the added bonus that it could provide enough cheap electricity for all of Wales and most of the South West, energy that is unaffected by the wholesale price of gas as well.

This would be brilliant, but unfortunately will never happen.

I remember is was being discussed when I was in school, that was 35 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    with pre-clearance Dublin is great
    I've thought about doing that several times. The layover in Dublin makes it not worth it though. You're basically getting up at 4am to spend the whole day in Dublin airport.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've thought about doing that several times. The layover in Dublin makes it not worth it though. You're basically getting up at 4am to spend the whole day in Dublin airport.
    worked out great for me going to Boston via dublin a few times.
    the times of the flights worked out really well, only an hour or 2 in dublin and you can easily save that not having to queue for immigration in Boston Logan airport. You do immigration when you're still fresh and after the flight it's such a nice feeling to just grab your bag and go straight out the door

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    we fly from Bristol airport to Dublin then onto the USA, the layovers can be decent times, 2 & 1/2 hours on the way out, 1 & 1/2 on the way back

2 & 1/2 hours isn't ideal, as pre clearance has only ever had less than 5 in front of us, but we dont see our luggage till the US ( they show you a photo of it at Border control ), get to airport, have a breakie and then make our way to Pre-clearance

I must admit, if the price is the same as direct from LHR and via Dublin, we choose the Dublin route, as you get of the plane as a internal flight and you are away, Occasionally at MCO 5 planes land inside the hour from the UK and EU, the immigration line can be over 2 hours , so Dubin works very well for us,

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I remember is was being discussed when I was in school, that was 35 years ago
    I took a bit of an interest in it the last time it was being seriously discussed, I know an economist in the government was part of the team who worked on it.

I think it was ultimately lobbying pressure from the Bristol port that did for it.
    The environmental concerns would have been easily dismissed if the numbers added up.
    With the price of fuel today it'd probably pay for itself in no time.

I remember reading transcripts of hansard discussing the proposal, can't remember if it was the commons or lords, but there was a very disappointing level of ignorance around the discussion. People were speaking out against it for reasons that were entirely erroneous, and they never seemed to be corrected - everyone just made their pre prepared speech and then onto the next piece of business.

None of the proposals presented back then included the option of a road on top, which would presumably increase the cost. I think it was about £20 bn from memory but i could have that completely wrong, less than the cost of a non functioning test and trace system anyway, and it would provide dirt cheap energy for 200 years

I took a bit of an interest in it the last time it was being seriously discussed, I know an economist in the government was part of the team who worked on it.

I think it was ultimately lobbying pressure from the Bristol port that did for it.
    The environmental concerns would have been easily dismissed if the numbers added up.
    With the price of fuel today it'd probably pay for itself in no time.

I remember reading transcripts of hansard discussing the proposal, can't remember if it was the commons or lords, but there was a very disappointing level of ignorance around the discussion. People were speaking out against it for reasons that were entirely erroneous, and they never seemed to be corrected - everyone just made their pre prepared speech and then onto the next piece of business.

None of the proposals presented back then included the option of a road on top, which would presumably increase the cost. I think it was about £20 bn from memory but i could have that completely wrong, less than the cost of a non functioning test and trace system anyway, and it would provide dirt cheap energy for 200 years
    stumbled across this as well, people are still pushing for this project in various guises to happen.

This latest one I've seen is from Aberthaw to Minehead

https://www.aberthawtidalps.co.uk/home-page.html#

looks interesting. still no plans to include a road or rail link, not sure how much complexity that adds, but if possible it would be fantastic for cardiff Airport, and right on the railway line as well. I guess the road would shave at least an hour off the time to get to devon and cornwall, Exmoor or the north devon coast would be an easy day trip from cardiff, and vice versa.

would love to see it, I think it'd be a huge boost to both areas, and great energy security and environmentally, but no they'll spunk it all on HS2 instead