+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best goal scored against the City

Best goal scored against the City

My apology if this topic has been covered before. Probably some crackers scored against us but for me the one that comes to mind was scored by Marco Gabbiadini for Northampton at Ninian in 2002. We lost the game 1-2 with MG hitting a 40 yarder that never gave Neil Alexander a chance.

Re: Best goal scored against the City

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    My apology if this topic has been covered before. Probably some crackers scored against us but for me the one that comes to mind was scored by Marco Gabbiadini for Northampton at Ninian in 2002. We lost the game 1-2 with MG hitting a 40 yarder that never gave Neil Alexander a chance.
    As soon as I saw the thread title I thought: Marco gabbiadini, end of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    same

Came here to say this.

I feel like there should be a poll on here with just the one option

Liverpool's second on Sunday.

I think his goal was applauded and he was given a standing ovation when he was subbed?

I came here to same the same as well. Stunning strike.

Can someone please suggest a goal that isn’t Gabbia****ingdini.

I was there too, I think I clapped too. But seriously there must be others.

I will admit I’m struggling to think of others.
    But I suppose we are never going to remember goals scored against us as well as goals we’ve scored.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Can someone please suggest a goal that is Gabbia****ingdini.

But I suppose we are never going to remember goals scored against us as well as goals we’ve scored.
    First one that came to my head was Mowatt for Albion against us in September

Remember going to the 1st game of the season..Bradford at home..we played really well but lost to 2 wonder strikes

But it’s the correct answer?

Maybe next time we do this thread it should be “who scored the second best goal against the city”.

Ched Evans for Norwich in about 2007

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Ched Evans for Norwich in about 2007
    That was the other one I had in mind when I started the thread. But given who scored it, a) I don't think it was better than Gabbiadini's and b) just the mention of his name was likely to cause the thread to deviate....um just like I'm doing now lol

Andre Schurrle for Fulham in our 4-2 win against them in the premier league a few years ago.

Brentford scored an amazing free kick once in the Canton Stand end of the ground. 1991-ish. It was like a rocket. I think we won 3-1 or 4-1.

Another vote for gabbiadini.

Alternative goals, I remember Lewis mcgugan scoring a very nice one.

The ched Evans one was the one I was going to suggest other than gabbiadini but Phil billings I think scored a sweet strike for Huddersfield I think a couple of years back??

Eric Gates scored an excellent hat trick against us in 1984 ( I think) in the FA cup, every goal seemed to be hit from further out ! Can remember we all watched on in awe at his performance that day

if thats the bradford goal im with you

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Brentford scored an amazing free kick once in the Canton Stand end of the ground. 1991-ish. It was like a rocket. I think we won 3-1 or 4-1.
    I remember that but thought it was Barnet. We were already 3-0 up and it was a very late consolation. Think it was 1992 and Eddie Newton’s last game on loan.

Jimmy Bullard scored a cracker when Ipswich beat us 2-0. We absolutely battered them and they picked us off twice.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Jimmy Bullard scored a cracker when Ipswich beat us 2-0. We absolutely battered them and they picked us off twice.
    Talking of best goals against us, Fulop’s performance in goal for Ipswich is up there with one of the best keeping performances I’ve ever seen. Like you said, we battered them, but he saved everything!
    Sadly he passed away a few years back. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That was one of the goals which came to mind for me. Billing scored a tremendous goal for Huddersfield as well in one of Neil Warnock’s first home matches in charge. I liked DeBruyne’s under the wall free kick in the FA Cup match as well.

As for Gabbiadini’s goal, clearly a great one, but, my mind may be playing tricks on me a bit here, but my memory is that the ball sat up really nicely for him to hit, so I think it was a relatively easy hit for someone with his technique.