+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Amazing Mirror story about Liverpool's new 50million Euro signing who wanted to join Cardiff City...

Amazing Mirror story about Liverpool's new 50million Euro signing who wanted to join Cardiff City...

...in 2019 for 7million:-

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...klopp-26131104

The claim is City - then in the Premier League - did not push the deal through and Porto later came in and took the player:

"It turned out to be a huge missed opportunity by Cardiff as Diaz would excel for his two-and-a-half years in Primeira Liga, becoming a £50m player in the process.

Liverpool will still feel they have got themselves a bargain as they paid significantly less than Porto's asking price, but it remains a massive 'what if' for the Bluebirds as they currently sit just outside the relegation zone in the Championship."

Anyone remember this?

Re: Amazing Mirror story about Liverpool's new 50million Euro signing who wanted to join Cardiff City...

I vaguely remember it - Warnock probably didn't think he was good enough in the air.

Re: Amazing Mirror story about Liverpool's new 50million Euro signing who wanted to join Cardiff City...

It's more likely that we'd have played him out of position, got him to train with the under 23's, made him feel homesick and sold him back for a loss, than turn him into a £50m player.

It was reported at the time that Warnock couldn't see how he could keep both him and Gary Madine in the same side given their similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I vaguely remember it - Warnock probably didn't think he was good enough in the air.
    Didn’t track back enough

Not got time to click on the link, but I remember a story about him and where he was brought up, how they thought he was malnourished in training etc and had to battle to get where he is now..

Its a good read. Someone posted it on here a few months back I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Didn’t track back enough
    Maybe Josh Murphy isn't the player a few of us hoped he could be, but does anyone wonder how he might have turned out had he not had the ups and downs of Cardiff city and played week in week out in a team what didn't want him playing as a RB and a winger.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Maybe Josh Murphy isn't the player a few of us hoped he could be, but does anyone wonder how he might have turned out had he not had the ups and downs of Cardiff city and played week in week out in a team what didn't want him playing as a RB and a winger.
    Dont most of the top teams demand a lot from their players?

Thinking of the best teams and they all have work rate that put most to shame.

It's hard to say, I'm sure around better players he could have shown more but I think there is a reason he hasn't gone on to show his transfer value and a reason no one has ever come in for him and it isn't because he has had to track back.

Never the same player after Warnock. Seen glimpses under Harris but the fact he went to Preston and his old coach at Norwich never really fancied him makes you wonder if he will ever get his career back on track at this level.

Never the same player after Warnock. Seen glimpses under Harris but the fact he went to Preston and his old coach at Norwich never really fancied him makes you wonder if he will ever get his career back on track at this level.
    yeah we have ruined him as a player. I wonder where he'll go next

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Dont most of the top teams demand a lot from their players?

Thinking of the best teams and they all have work rate that put most to shame.

It's hard to say, I'm sure around better players he could have shown more but I think there is a reason he hasn't gone on to show his transfer value and a reason no one has ever come in for him and it isn't because he has had to track back.
    I didn't mention hard work fella

I was referring to the way he wasn't fancied by Warnock because he couldn't get up and down and put in a shift as a RB as well as look a threat on the front foot. Nobody is saying he shouldn't be able to track back and help out, and be left alone to stand up the pitch waiting to attack, and only ever attack, but I think the way it went for him here really hindered him and we won't see the same player again. Shame.

Sad isn't it. Why sign him, baffles me tbh. Wasted money and ruined a player.

My dml detector is going off, I'm off out the door to take the nephew to school and walk the dog before he arrives with a bang.

We would have ruined him anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yeah we have ruined him as a player. I wonder where he'll go next
    I don’t think he was that good to begin with. His twin is the same. Norwich fans said he was wildly inconsistent, and he’s proved to be. Now he can’t stay fit.

Genuinely amazed the crack troops of the CCFC Transfer Committee, VT, Dalman, Ken, ‘our Neil’ together with some help from Warnock’s boy James, the lads at USM, Warnock’s pal Chief Scout Glyn Chamberlain AND our extensive overseas scouting network couldn’t get this one over the line.

Not got time to click on the link, but I remember a story about him and where he was brought up, how they thought he was malnourished in training etc and had to battle to get where he is now..

Its a good read. Someone posted it on here a few months back I believe.
    Apparently this led to Cardiff pulling out of the deal as they felt he had suffered enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Genuinely amazed the crack troops of the CCFC Transfer Committee, VT, Dalman, Ken, ‘our Neil’ together with some help from Warnock’s boy James, the lads at USM, Warnock’s pal Chief Scout Glyn Chamberlain AND our extensive overseas scouting network couldn’t get this one over the line.
    was the issue he wasn't represented by USM though ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    Apparently this led to Cardiff pulling out of the deal as they felt he had suffered enough.

Why would they want this player ...when they can get pack from half a mile down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Why would they want this player ...when they can get pack from half a mile down the road.
    Why sign a winger when you can get a CM..

It does at least show we have/had a scouting network if we were picking someone from out from Colombia. That policy seems to have been shelved while we deal with being a crap championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    It does at least show we have/had a scouting network if we were picking someone from out from Colombia. That policy seems to have been shelved while we deal with being a crap championship team.
    that's the part I find hardest to believe

Amazing?

I didn't mention hard work fella

I was referring to the way he wasn't fancied by Warnock because he couldn't get up and down and put in a shift as a RB as well as look a threat on the front foot. Nobody is saying he shouldn't be able to track back and help out, and be left alone to stand up the pitch waiting to attack, and only ever attack, but I think the way it went for him here really hindered him and we won't see the same player again. Shame.
    Murphy played much more frequently for us under Warnock than he did under Harris and McCarthy.