+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison

Strange this hasn't been posted here yet or are my old eyes playing up again?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60290032

Re: Sean Morrison

Yep it's my eyes. Just found it along with the Doughty news

very similar to the Joe Bennett situation

Much as though he's been Captain Fantastic and a rock at the back for years, Old Father Time and injuries have finally caught with him. Maybe we feel that as a club we should offer him something while in rehab, for old time's sake?
    Last edited by tomcat; 07-02-22 at 20:22. Reason: typo

I was against offering Joe Bennett a contract in this situation, even though I was a big fan of him for us.
    I'm less anti offering one to Morrison but let's see how things play out

If the club want him to stay, perhaps they should offer him a contract on less money and also on the proviso, that he returns to full fitness. Give him a year, and review at the end, if he’s not fit enough, then let him go.

Interesting to note Bennett has only just managed his first 90 minutes, shows what an injury it is, can’t see him playing for us again. Shame as brilliant servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I was against offering Joe Bennett a contract in this situation, even though I was a big fan of him for us.
    I'm less anti offering one to Morrison but let's see how things play out
    Same here, but it's dependant on what wages Morrison would be after.

31 years old with a torn ACL. I feel bad for him, he's kind of ****ed now.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    31 years old with a torn ACL. I feel bad for him, he's kind of ****ed now.
    This is a sad end to a good club player , if it is the end ??

I do wonder before the injury struck would he and the club been approaching a naturally parting of the ways due to his wages and his need for a longer contract 🤔

Well this is a real shame. Yes he's had his ups and downs form wise but he has been a really good captain and stalwart of the team and club. Hopefully he can make a recovery and we see him again in a city shirt.

I think the club would have a duty of care to look after him whilst he remains injured.

Terrible for him after years of good service for the club, although I will be disappointed if we offer him more than a few thousand per week next season (could go heavy on app fees/clean sheets) he's going to miss 1/3 of the season easily. Don't see how we can spend 500k+ on a player who might never string 2 games together again for us when funds are apparently so tight, I'm sure the club will support him with training and facilities as they should rightly do but we have to consider the welfare of the club. It's not like Morrison has been playing for us for peanuts in the past 7-8 years, it's cruel on him after all the good times he's had here.

Wouldn’t there be insurance for this type of scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Wouldn’t there be insurance for this type of scenario?
    I've heard of players getting payouts on insurance, but one of the conditions if the payout being that they can never play professional football again.
    there have been a few decent players who have ended their career early though injury, but then gone on to playing in the conference or other non league as it is semi professional, and if they've won promotion to the league they have to leave the club, or pay back all the insurance money.

I'm guessing Morrison probably isn't done with professional football yet.

How about a player coaching role.

Still gets a wage with vital input to younger players and then pay as you play when fully fit.

Quote Originally Posted by sanctum of blue View Post
    How about a player coaching role.

Still gets a wage with vital input to younger players and then pay as you play when fully fit.
    I think more than 90% of pay as you play contracts only exist in the imaginations of message board users on this message board

There’s a clear precedent here with the Joe Bennett situation, he was released by the club while recovering from the same injury Sean Morrison has sustained. I thought it was a little cold hearted by the club to just let Bennett go like that (although he did train with City pre season), but I could understand it from a business is business point of view - I don’t see how this situation is different from the one last year. By all means, let a fine servant of the club use its facilities to help in his recovery, but, sadly, it’s not been the Sean Morrison we’ve been used to seeing since 2014 this season and before his injury, I thought we should let him go - I must say as well that Ollie Denham’s performance on Sunday suggests there are other young centrebacks at the club able to come in and do a job for us at Championship level next season.

I've heard of players getting payouts on insurance, but one of the conditions if the payout being that they can never play professional football again.
    there have been a few decent players who have ended their career early though injury, but then gone on to playing in the conference or other non league as it is semi professional, and if they've won promotion to the league they have to leave the club, or pay back all the insurance money.

I'm guessing Morrison probably isn't done with professional football yet.
    I mean the club. Insuring against long term injuries of players so they are not liable for all of their wages whilst injured. Given the multi million pound contracts of the playing squad you would think they would have some kind of insurance, even if it only covered a portion of the players wages.

Obviously the issue in Morrison’s case is he’s out of contract at end of June so any ongoing payment then the club would be 100% liable for.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There’s a clear precedent here with the Joe Bennett situation, he was released by the club while recovering from the same injury Sean Morrison has sustained. I thought it was a little cold hearted by the club to just let Bennett go like that (although he did train with City pre season), but I could understand it from a business is business point of view - I don’t see how this situation is different from the one last year. By all means, let a fine servant of the club use its facilities to help in his recovery, but, sadly, it’s not been the Sean Morrison we’ve been used to seeing since 2014 this season and before his injury, I thought we should let him go - I must say as well that Ollie Denham’s performance on Sunday suggests there are other young centrebacks at the club able to come in and do a job for us at Championship level next season.
    I don’t think it’s cold hearted at all, especially if as reported bennett was offered a deal he turned down previously. He was just as happy to leave us so I don’t see why we should give him a deal to not be fit for 9 months. I’d say the club were more than good letting him train with us and use the facilities. Only so much money to go around, whose to say the money freed up from Bennett didn’t bring in McGuiness. I don’t think there is much loyalty in football either way, it’s all ruled by money be it the player or the club.

I mean the club. Insuring against long term injuries of players so they are not liable for all of their wages whilst injured. Given the multi million pound contracts of the playing squad you would think they would have some kind of insurance, even if it only covered a portion of the players wages.

Obviously the issue in Morrison’s case is he’s out of contract at end of June so any ongoing payment then the club would be 100% liable for.
    I'm not sure if such policies exist, as they would need to pay out fairly regularly, the premiums would be astronomical

I'm not sure if such policies exist, as they would need to pay out fairly regularly, the premiums would be astronomical
    Just googled it and seems it’s quite common in the professional game for clubs to insure its high earners.

Just googled it and seems it’s quite common in the professional game for clubs to insure its high earners.
    interesting, I wonder what the clauses are with that.
    I can imagine it being used in the case of a career ending injury, but if someone's out for a week with a slight knock then surely not then or they'd be making hundreds of claims a year.
    I wonder what the cut off would be

interesting, I wonder what the clauses are with that.
    I can imagine it being used in the case of a career ending injury, but if someone's out for a week with a slight knock then surely not then or they'd be making hundreds of claims a year.
    I wonder what the cut off would be
    Probably wouldn’t claim or be covered for a week or two out but I’d say 9 months out with an ACL is pretty serious from a financial point of view and the sort of thing to be insured against.

Probably wouldn’t claim or be covered for a week or two out but I’d say 9 months out with an ACL is pretty serious from a financial point of view and the sort of thing to be insured against.
    that's true, but he's only contracted to us for another 4 months