+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BBC 4 Podcast - The Coming Storm

First Team

Re: BBC 4 Podcast - The Coming Storm

It's coming up to 4pm here and I walk my doggy, Smuggers, every day at 4. So, this thread reminded me of a couple and their doggy, Fred, I sometimes meet and talk to.

They're Republican Trumpers but kind of endearingly daft in what they come out with. One day they told me they didn't like Biden because he is a pedophile (apologies for American spellings). I mockingly laughed but then they told me they had evidence - he apparently sniffs people's hair when close to them and this is a sign of a pedophile. To me that's just guano crazy. Anyone else ever heard this?

P.S. On reflection, Fred would probably be the more rational of three of them if he could talk.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    It's coming up to 4pm here and I walk my doggy, Smuggers, every day at 4. So, this thread reminded me of a couple and their doggy, Fred, I sometimes meet and talk to.

They're Republican Trumpers but kind of endearingly daft in what they come out with. One day they told me they didn't like Biden because he is a pedophile (apologies for American spellings). I mockingly laughed but then they told me they had evidence - he apparently sniffs people's hair when close to them and this is a sign of a pedophile. To me that's just guano crazy. Anyone else ever heard this?

P.S. On reflection, Fred would probably be the more rational of three of them if he could talk.
    They sound bonkers Mate.
    I know plenty of people who come out with this shite.
    It has to be stressed though that there are as many clowns polar opposite to them.

I think that the horseshoe principle of political opinion is right when it comes down to the most vociferous, regardless of which way their political allegiances lie.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    They sound bonkers Mate.
    I know plenty of people who come out with this shite.
    It has to be stressed though that there are as many clowns polar opposite to them.

I think that the horseshoe principle of political opinion is right when it comes down to the most vociferous, regardless of which way their political allegiances lie.
    I don't really know anything of leftwing conspiracy theories. There's a large culture around this too?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to insinuate with this. Is there a cabal of far right extremists acting out some coordinated plan? Honestly that isn't the point, 'though there is some evidence of it - see Steve Bannon. The point is surely that all the characters you list have several traits in common. These are, inter alia:

• mendacity
    • amorality
    • opportunism
    • self aggrandisement
    • malignant narcism

They manifest as rightwing populists taking cues off each other because there is a gullible population out there that laps it up.

Why do you think Johnson suddenly discovered the repetition of rightwing conspiracy theories as a deflection tactic? That's straight out of the Trump playbook.
    This thread is interesting as it shows the desperation of people trying to justify the way they feel about right wing populists. You are completely correct about the character of those who have been listed - politics is important to the extent that they are all right of centre, but it’s more to do with the type of person they are - entirely self serving and cynical.

Just finished listening to the seventh, and last, episode. I found it riveting stuff which had me regularly changing my mind as to whether those believing in the gathering storm were deserving of contempt or pity, but in the end, I found myself agreeing with the conclusion reached by the narrator.

I don't really know anything of leftwing conspiracy theories. There's a large culture around this too?
    The left wing conspiracies tended to turn out to be the CIA

I've seen the creepy videos they refer too, whilst its not evidence (far from it) as a father of 2 daughters i wouldn't be comfortable leaving them alone with Joe

Never heard of a spork?
    nearly right there is a nork

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    nearly right there is a nork
    Really? I loved sporks the moment I first got one from a Taco Bell 25 years ago. Where do I get me a nork?

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just finished listening to the seventh, and last, episode. I found it riveting stuff which had me regularly changing my mind as to whether those believing in the gathering storm were deserving of contempt or pity, but in the end, I found myself agreeing with the conclusion reached by the narrator.
    Bob

There's a documentary on Netflix or HBO I think which gives more detail on QAnon and concludes it's Ron Watkins who is now running for Congress ... in Arizona District 1. Gulp.

Bob

There's a documentary on Netflix or HBO I think which gives more detail on QAnon and concludes it's Ron Watkins who is now running for Congress ... in Arizona District 1. Gulp.
    That was the impression given in the Podcast as well - thanks for that about the documentary, I’ll have a look on Netflix and see if I can find it.

That was the impression given in the Podcast as well - thanks for that about the documentary, I’ll have a look on Netflix and see if I can find it.
    The narrator mentioned a six-part HBO documentary at the end of episode 4 I’ve just listened to called ‘Q: Into the Storm’.

Mozzers in 1,000,000. 999,999. 999,998...

Quote Originally Posted by Madlock View Post
    The narrator mentioned a six-part HBO documentary at the end of episode 4 I’ve just listened to called ‘Q: Into the Storm’.

Really? I loved sporks the moment I first got one from a Taco Bell 25 years ago. Where do I get me a nork?
    not sure i came across them in hospital

Yes the narrator did an excellent job and I look forward to hearing his next series, should it be something that interests me. He was mainly restricted (understandably) at looking at this from a political perspective, and with the default BBC position of a secular standpoint, he wasn't able to comment on some of the other aspects touched upon as his investigation unfolded.
    In the main, the people he met who were making spiritual comments were OTT and would discredit those who would possess a more balanced viewpoint and welcome a reasonable conversation with you, me or any media reporter.
    Having said that, he was doing this mainly for a british audience, who would mostly NOT care to hear about some major shifts in spiritual influences in the USA from the 90's to the present day - as a spiritual vacuum for the under 40's has been filled with many practices that can be collectively summed up as the occult*

* (in just one area of the Occult - "The numbers of Americans who identify with Wicca or paganism has risen from 134,000 in 2001 to nearly 2 million today") >> LINK

Of course when voting happens in the UK, we as a nation care little for the candidates spiritual position; as long as he/ she doesn't slaughter goats on their local common at midnight or condemn people associated with the ever growing list of letters starting with LGB.

So yes, there is a coming storm and Gabriel Gatehouse has already witnessed aspects of it with a number of red herrings (as there always is) thrown into the mix - I really hope he and others keep an eye on the significant narritive - and keep that magnifying glass close at hand.

I enjoyed this, would not have come across it so thanks for the head's up.

The Jon Ronson book 'Them' tackles the secret cables running the world http://www.jonronson.com/them.html he's such a good story teller, would recommend all his books.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I enjoyed this, would not have come across it so thanks for the head's up.

The Jon Ronson book 'Them' tackles the secret cables running the world http://www.jonronson.com/them.html he's such a good story teller, would recommend all his books.
    Thanks for the heads up on this OurManFlint.

I just looked at the summary of that book and seems right up my street.

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Yes the narrator did an excellent job and I look forward to hearing his next series, should it be something that interests me. He was mainly restricted (understandably) at looking at this from a political perspective, and with the default BBC position of a secular standpoint, he wasn't able to comment on some of the other aspects touched upon as his investigation unfolded.
    In the main, the people he met who were making spiritual comments were OTT and would discredit those who would possess a more balanced viewpoint and welcome a reasonable conversation with you, me or any media reporter.
    Having said that, he was doing this mainly for a british audience, who would mostly NOT care to hear about some major shifts in spiritual influences in the USA from the 90's to the present day - as a spiritual vacuum for the under 40's has been filled with many practices that can be collectively summed up as the occult*

* (in just one area of the Occult - "The numbers of Americans who identify with Wicca or paganism has risen from 134,000 in 2001 to nearly 2 million today") >> LINK

Of course when voting happens in the UK, we as a nation care little for the candidates spiritual position; as long as he/ she doesn't slaughter goats on their local common at midnight or condemn people associated with the ever growing list of letters starting with LGB.

So yes, there is a coming storm and Gabriel Gatehouse has already witnessed aspects of it with a number of red herrings (as there always is) thrown into the mix - I really hope he and others keep an eye on the significant narritive - and keep that magnifying glass close at hand.
    Hi truthpaste!

Been a while.

Interesting take, as always.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...AmericaS1E1%5D

I imagine people will also enjoy this

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Hi truthpaste!

Been a while.

Interesting take, as always.
    Good to see you too.
    If you are familiar with a guy called Ahab (the seventh king of Israel), then there is a fascinating parallel that links into the USA and their leadership in recent history; if you'd like more information then just PM me

I had heard about this podcast, but was only nudged into listening to it after reading about it on here. I'm on episode 6 now and it is fascinating!

Thanks to the OP! CCMB delivers again!

An epilogue episode has been released today, for anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Madlock View Post
    An epilogue episode has been released today, for anyone interested.

Seems relavent given what’s said in the Epilogue episode.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...navirus-crisis

The final words of this excellent series....

"there is a battle to be fought for the future of our world"

When we started listening to this series little did we know what these words would mean to us as February faded away.

Let's hope & pray that those in high places make some wise decisions, for all our sakes