+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Covid Rules Collapsing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Covid Rules Collapsing

Just to add some balance as a regular poster on here has a habit of saying - I think the point about how the UK Government scientists should give us their grounds for believing why an end to all restrictions is justified is a fair one.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lifted-england

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just to add some balance as a regular poster on here has a habit of saying - I think the point about how the UK Government scientists should give us their grounds for believing why an end to all restrictions is justified is a fair one.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lifted-england
    I appreciate the experts caution on new variants and that the NHS needs to b e prepared for surges. Additionally there will always be people who are at extreme risk from any virus or bacteria especially the immunosuppressed. I have a friend with leukaemia who has nil antibodies after 4 doses of the vaccine.

As for the general population we should be allowed to get on with our lives restriction free.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I appreciate the experts caution on new variants and that the NHS needs to b e prepared for surges. Additionally there will always be people who are at extreme risk from any virus or bacteria especially the immunosuppressed. I have a friend with leukaemia who has nil antibodies after 4 doses of the vaccine.

As for the general population we should be allowed to get on with our lives restriction free.
    I'm not certain of this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Delta a more virulent and deadly strain than Alpha which preceded it? If that's true, then it rather gives the lie to the line that variants get progressively milder.

I'm not certain of this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Delta a more virulent and deadly strain than Alpha which preceded it? If that's true, then it rather gives the lie to the line that variants get progressively milder.
    Delta was supposed to be more of a problem than Alpha or Beta...but Omicron was reportedly supposed to be the most dangerous of the series.

In practice we are in an evolving situation. Those who unfortunately got alpha had no natural resistance, no vaccines, no antivirals, a NHS learning on the hoof. Today Omicron, which the experts said was nasty, is well managed and most of us now have antibodies, vaccines etc.

Delta was supposed to be more of a problem than Alpha or Beta...but Omicron was reportedly supposed to be the most dangerous of the series.

In practice we are in an evolving situation. Those who unfortunately got alpha had no natural resistance, no vaccines, no antivirals, a NHS learning on the hoof. Today Omicron, which the experts said was nasty, is well managed and most of us now have antibodies, vaccines etc.
    When you say dangerous do you just mean more infectious? If the symptoms are more mild then is omicron more dangerous? Each one has apparently got more infectious as time has gone along…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    When you say dangerous do you just mean more infectious? If the symptoms are more mild then is omicron more dangerous? Each one has apparently got more infectious as time has gone along…..
    It was said to be more dangerous because of its mutation an d fear that our antibodies would not recognise it, or the vaccines be effective.

The general trend with viruses is that the more transmittal the less virulent.....not that they are any less nasty in vitro, but people have developed natural defence against similar viruses, vaccines are targeting new variants etc, plus the new antivirals...all blunting the 'potency' of the virus....just as is happening currently with Omicron

It was said to be more dangerous because of its mutation an d fear that our antibodies would not recognise it, or the vaccines be effective.

The general trend with viruses is that the more transmittal the less virulent.....not that they are any less nasty in vitro, but people have developed natural defence against similar viruses, vaccines are targeting new variants etc, plus the new antivirals...all blunting the 'potency' of the virus....just as is happening currently with Omicron
    The anti virals are very good I hear, possibly the best thing to counter it for severe cases. Let’s hope it continues the trend of less severe but more infectious. If I had a rough cold I wouldn’t be out and about to spread it anyway, most people wouldn’t either I’d imagine.

As I understand it, Delta goes for the lungs and tended to cause more damage than Omicron,which is supposedly 7 times more virulent, but which goes for the throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As I understand it, Delta goes for the lungs and tended to cause more damage than Omicron,which is supposedly 7 times more virulent, but which goes for the throat.
    That's what I've heard as well, the only point I'm making is that Delta was more virulent, and just as harmful, or maybe more so, than the original version or the one which arose in Kent - it doesn't seem to me that we can conclude yet that future variants are going to get milder.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A bit more like a regular coronavirus then….the one we have never had a vaccine for and probably why the one we do have struggles with omicron.