+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Covid Rules Collapsing

Re: Covid Rules Collapsing

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Just so we are clear on the implication of what you're arguing. You're effectively saying if someone were diagnosed with covid, you think it's not worth treating the person because they are going to die eventually anyway.

Come on, man.
    Kindly read the whole thread again and come back with a better answer FGS , I don’t know what you’re talking about here I’m afraid

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Kindly read the whole thread again and come back with a better answer FGS , I don’t know what you’re talking about here I’m afraid
    Treatment IS a covid mitigation strategy. You've now said several times you think mitigation strategies don't have any effect in the LR. Put your thinking cap on.

[QUOTE=az city;5274251]Treatment IS a covid mitigation strategy. You've now said several times you think mitigation strategies don't have any effect in the LR. Put your thinking cap on.[/QUOTE

Some interventions work , but overall the benefit is cost neutral , according to many peers - I guess we will have to wait until we evaluate the results of the imminent enquiry.

First Team

[QUOTE=TWGL1;5274254]
    Treatment IS a covid mitigation strategy. You've now said several times you think mitigation strategies don't have any effect in the LR. Put your thinking cap on.[/QUOTE

Some interventions work , but overall the benefit is cost neutral , according to many peers - I guess we will have to wait until we evaluate the results of the imminent enquiry.
    You're Liz Truss. Where do I get my prize?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Did you actually read any of the discussion on why two years ago Covid was downgraded from an HCID before offering up this staggering insight?

Average age of Covid death is 81 to 83 .

70% over Covid deaths contracted in Hospital environments.

Britain's Covid Cases down by 30% , deaths down by a quarter , hospitalisations fall by 13%

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I see the sun has risen in Arizona and the lord has awoken..

You miss my point. No one doubts that with hindsight the UK locked down too late initially - that was probably the big covid error that no one really disputes.

My point is that if any country could adopt a 'zero covid' strategy it is New Zealand. It simply wouldn't have worked almost anywhere else given the amount it was already spreading in Europe, given europes open borders given the UKs open borders, given the extent of international travel in the UK. How many Brits had travelled to Italy in early March 2021 compared to how many kiwis?

Even the European countries that perhaps are comparable to NZ demographically such as Norway (who also handled the pandemic very well) still have a detah rate more than ten times greater than NZ.

The point isnt whether NZ's policies reduced deaths and the spread of Covid, because it undoubtedly did, the point is that NZ could adopt those policies whereas most other countries realistically could not, without extraordinary disruptions to supply chains, the economy, etc etc.

Basically it's not a coincidence that the only country to adopt this method is New Zealand.
    It will be interesting to see what happens in NZ over the next year or so, the population has no antibodies at all and they are opening up to the world again and I imagine a lot of people will want to go. Adding the fact the vaccine appears to wear off pretty quickly when tackling the omicron variant things could get a bit tricky? Let’s hope a further mutation makes the virus even weaker so every country can just get back to normal asap….

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Britain's Covid Cases down by 30% , deaths down by a quarter , hospitalisations fall by 13%
    All very interesting but what has it got to do with the explanation of why Covid was downgraded from an HCID two years ago? You seem to think this was some kind of recent event.

[QUOTE=TWGL1;5274254]
    Treatment IS a covid mitigation strategy. You've now said several times you think mitigation strategies don't have any effect in the LR. Put your thinking cap on.[/QUOTE

“Imminent”? Good luck with that.

Interesting thread with the usual extremes of views. Things have moved on since Covid appeared on the scene and I believe life in UK should now return to normal.

Why do I say that?.... We have effective vaccines and the majority of us have had 3 doses. Pharma companies have confirmed that these can be tweaked to cover future variants.

We have two oral antiviral medicines available that reduce the severity of an infection by up to 90%

96% of UK population now have antibodies against Covid.

Mask wearing is a complete waste of time in everyday settings because they are not used properly. Disposal masks must be disposed of after a single use to be effective and reusable masks washed once a day. When I see well used masks pulled out of peoples pockets or handbags before entering a shop I know that they may as well tie a dirty handkerchief around their mouth/ nose.

Overall the virus is following the traditional pathway of variants being more transmissible but less virulent.

Just to add some balance as a regular poster on here has a habit of saying - I think the point about how the UK Government scientists should give us their grounds for believing why an end to all restrictions is justified is a fair one.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lifted-england

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just to add some balance as a regular poster on here has a habit of saying - I think the point about how the UK Government scientists should give us their grounds for believing why an end to all restrictions is justified is a fair one.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lifted-england
    I appreciate the experts caution on new variants and that the NHS needs to b e prepared for surges. Additionally there will always be people who are at extreme risk from any virus or bacteria especially the immunosuppressed. I have a friend with leukaemia who has nil antibodies after 4 doses of the vaccine.

As for the general population we should be allowed to get on with our lives restriction free.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I appreciate the experts caution on new variants and that the NHS needs to b e prepared for surges. Additionally there will always be people who are at extreme risk from any virus or bacteria especially the immunosuppressed. I have a friend with leukaemia who has nil antibodies after 4 doses of the vaccine.

As for the general population we should be allowed to get on with our lives restriction free.
    I'm not certain of this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Delta a more virulent and deadly strain than Alpha which preceded it? If that's true, then it rather gives the lie to the line that variants get progressively milder.

Interesting thread with the usual extremes of views. Things have moved on since Covid appeared on the scene and I believe life in UK should now return to normal.

Why do I say that?.... We have effective vaccines and the majority of us have had 3 doses. Pharma companies have confirmed that these can be tweaked to cover future variants.

We have two oral antiviral medicines available that reduce the severity of an infection by up to 90%

Mask wearing is a complete waste of time in everyday settings because they are not used properly. Disposal masks must be disposed of after a single use to be effective and reusable masks washed once a day. When I see well used masks pulled out of peoples pockets or handbags before entering a shop I know that they may as well tie a dirty handkerchief around their mouth/ nose.

Overall the virus is following the traditional pathway of variants being more transmissible but less virulent.
    My god,a sensible post. Well done that person.

I've got covid.Is it OK to cough all over you at the next home game if your so sure only people in the ages 81-83 die.
    I registered for an anti viral drug when I first tested positive,I got turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm not certain of this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Delta a more virulent and deadly strain than Alpha which preceded it? If that's true, then it rather gives the lie to the line that variants get progressively milder.
    Delta was supposed to be more of a problem than Alpha or Beta...but Omicron was reportedly supposed to be the most dangerous of the series.

In practice we are in an evolving situation. Those who unfortunately got alpha had no natural resistance, no vaccines, no antivirals, a NHS learning on the hoof. Today Omicron, which the experts said was nasty, is well managed and most of us now have antibodies, vaccines etc.

I would like you ask how is mask wearing an extreme? It’s a way of living with the virus. Vaccines are not fully effective, but are pretty good so they are the main course with the Covid response. But you need sides such as mask wearing and ventilation. And with using dirty masks, I agree is stupid. It’s like as you said, a dirty hankie or a dirty plate.

We live with every virus out there but have an arsenal of measures to reduce them. I don’t get why Covid is any different. And with Covid, we are not out the woods or will ever be fully out of the woods so we need measures

Delta was supposed to be more of a problem than Alpha or Beta...but Omicron was reportedly supposed to be the most dangerous of the series.

In practice we are in an evolving situation. Those who unfortunately got alpha had no natural resistance, no vaccines, no antivirals, a NHS learning on the hoof. Today Omicron, which the experts said was nasty, is well managed and most of us now have antibodies, vaccines etc.
    When you say dangerous do you just mean more infectious? If the symptoms are more mild then is omicron more dangerous? Each one has apparently got more infectious as time has gone along…..

Does this mean you're no longer interested in trying to protect others getting Covid if you happened to be carrying it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Does this mean you're no longer interested in trying to protect others getting Covid if you happened to be carrying it?
    Ive worked in healthcare for my working life. Does that answer your question?

If I had a cold or flu Id stay at home away from people, take an analgesic and maybe go to bed as I would for most upper respiratory viral infections.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    When you say dangerous do you just mean more infectious? If the symptoms are more mild then is omicron more dangerous? Each one has apparently got more infectious as time has gone along…..
    It was said to be more dangerous because of its mutation an d fear that our antibodies would not recognise it, or the vaccines be effective.

The general trend with viruses is that the more transmittal the less virulent.....not that they are any less nasty in vitro, but people have developed natural defence against similar viruses, vaccines are targeting new variants etc, plus the new antivirals...all blunting the 'potency' of the virus....just as is happening currently with Omicron

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    I would like you ask how is mask wearing an extreme? It’s a way of living with the virus. Vaccines are not fully effective, but are pretty good so they are the main course with the Covid response. But you need sides such as mask wearing and ventilation. And with using dirty masks, I agree is stupid. It’s like as you said, a dirty hankie or a dirty plate.

We live with every virus out there but have an arsenal of measures to reduce them. I don’t get why Covid is any different. And with Covid, we are not out the woods or will ever be fully out of the woods so we need measures
    Mask wearing in everyday settings is an extreme. It's not natural, many people use masks incorrectly as I mentioned earlier, and it inhibits clear communication. Politicians have made it worse by introducing draconian measures without scientific evidence. ie need them in a supermarket but not in a pub or restaurant. No need in football stadium although I'm standing next to someone for 2 hours, but then need them on bus home ...it's all a nonsense.

Mask wearing in everyday settings is an extreme. It's not natural, many people use masks incorrectly as I mentioned earlier, and it inhibits clear communication. Politicians have made it worse by introducing draconian measures without scientific evidence. ie need them in a supermarket but not in a pub or restaurant. No need in football stadium although I'm standing next to someone for 2 hours, but then need them on bus home ...it's all a nonsense.
    Then using the logic of masks being unnatural, what about clothes? I do agree with the communication point, which is why some people wouldn't wear them when speaking in public, for example, and that is fair enough. I think that masks should be used more and there is very strong rationale about using masks.

It was said to be more dangerous because of its mutation an d fear that our antibodies would not recognise it, or the vaccines be effective.

The general trend with viruses is that the more transmittal the less virulent.....not that they are any less nasty in vitro, but people have developed natural defence against similar viruses, vaccines are targeting new variants etc, plus the new antivirals...all blunting the 'potency' of the virus....just as is happening currently with Omicron
    The anti virals are very good I hear, possibly the best thing to counter it for severe cases. Let’s hope it continues the trend of less severe but more infectious. If I had a rough cold I wouldn’t be out and about to spread it anyway, most people wouldn’t either I’d imagine.

It is completely….

None of the above proves what I said about a later variant being more deadly than the first one wrong though. Covid is new and so predictions that it will gradually get milder come across a bit like wishful thinking to me. It may be right, but abandoning all restrictions so quickly seems a move driven by politics more than science - especially in the absence of info from the likes of Whitty and Valance as to why it is justified.

I’m sorry to bring Johnson up here, but I suppose the decision to end all restrictions may be driven by a realisation that he is such damaged goods to a significant proportion of the country that any move led by him towards more restrictions or a reintroduction of them would be a failure because many people will just do the opposite of what he tells us. Maybe by the time the next variant comes Johnson will have regained the trust of the British public sufficiently for what they are being asked to do to be more important than who’s asking them to do it, but I very much doubt it - the character of the man at the top will always be an issue under this PM I believe.