+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These loanees

These loanees

It must be difficult to find the right players that will fit into a system but every one of our loanees looks to be a great signing. I don't know if it was Morison, his back room staff or even someone at board level but whoever it was they've finally got it right and that bodes well for our future.

Re: These loanees

Yes credit where it’s due but I highly doubt it was somebody at boardroom level

We've had so many disappointing ones over the years, but the last several all seem to have been a success, which gives a bit of hope when considering the mammoth recruitment task in the summer.

With no real evidence to back it up, I get the impression that these days it is more of a collaborative effort with the recruitment team rather than being mostly down to the manager as it seemed previously.
    Wintle was quite possibly not Mccarthy's signing, given he went out on loan straight away, and Marley Watkins was definitely wanted by him, but the club overruled it.
    I don't think the board members will be out there scouting players or anything, just that perhaps we have more strong voices within the process than previously - which would definitely be a good thing.

I think this must be the most successful crop of loan players I can remember us having, in terms of turn around in results, and changing the style of play. Granted the sample of games is still very small, but extremely encouraging.

Re-signing next season could be interesting. I doubt Drameh will return.”, based on Biesla’s comments, he could’ve involved for them next year.
    Doyle we may be able to get back for another loan if Man City agree and don’t look to sell him to another club. Doughty‘s situation is hard to assess after the injury. I could see us making Uche a permanent signing, and potentially Hugill.

Quote Originally Posted by Madlock View Post
    I think this must be the most successful crop of loan players I can remember us having, in terms of turn around in results, and changing the style of play. Granted the sample of games is still very small, but extremely encouraging.

Re-signing next season could be interesting. I doubt Drameh will return.”, based on Biesla’s comments, he could’ve involved for them next year.
    Doyle we may be able to get back for another loan if Man City agree and don’t look to sell him to another club. Doughty‘s situation is hard to assess after the injury. I could see us making Uche a permanent signing, and potentially Hugill.
    Midlesborough only wanted 750k for ikpeazu - that may well go up if he keeps scoring off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Midlesborough only wanted 750k for ikpeazu - that may well go up if he keeps scoring off the bench
    Unless the loan agreement had an obligation/option to buy at a previously agreed price?

Unless the loan agreement had an obligation/option to buy at a previously agreed price?
    none were mentioned for any of the deals. I got the impression we were only considering the short term as the managers position was still up in the air.

We've had so many disappointing ones over the years, but the last several all seem to have been a success, which gives a bit of hope when considering the mammoth recruitment task in the summer.

With no real evidence to back it up, I get the impression that these days it is more of a collaborative effort with the recruitment team rather than being mostly down to the manager as it seemed previously.
    Wintle was quite possibly not Mccarthy's signing, given he went out on loan straight away, and Marley Watkins was definitely wanted by him, but the club overruled it.
    I don't think the board members will be out there scouting players or anything, just that perhaps we have more strong voices within the process than previously - which would definitely be a good thing.
    That's the thing. It is not easy to get the right players in, in the right positions and get them playing into the system you want. Whoever is the person behind this they deserve much credit.

none were mentioned for any of the deals. I got the impression we were only considering the short term as the managers position was still up in the air.
    Makes sense. Will be a very big task to build the squad in the summer. Based on the work so far, I’m increasingly confident Morison is the man to oversee it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    That's the thing. It is not easy to get the right players in, in the right positions and get them playing into the system you want. Whoever is the person behind this they deserve much credit.
    I think it is easier if you have a strong identity around the way you want to play, and you understand how to make it work

i.e. we've targeted pacy wingers for the wing back positions specifically, rather than - for example - playing some central midfielders there and then bizarrely some centre backs.

Get players in to suit the system you want to play, rather than just get in whoever you can get and hope that you can find a system where it all works.

Makes sense. Will be a very big task to build the squad in the summer. Based on the work so far, I’m increasingly confident Morison is the man to oversee it.
    + whoever else has been involved with recent transfers

I think it is easier if you have a strong identity around the way you want to play, and you understand how to make it work

i.e. we've targeted pacy wingers for the wing back positions specifically, rather than - for example - playing some central midfielders there and then bizarrely some centre backs.

Get players in to suit the system you want to play, rather than just get in whoever you can get and hope that you can find a system where it all works.
    Simple really. Pity our previous dinosaurs had no idea.

Have we ever had so many loan players at the same time before? We may have, but I’m not sure when we’ve had three of them in our first choice starting eleven. Strictly speaking, with Wintle and Watters returning, it was like having five new players against Forest and so there may have been a bit of good luck involved that they all gelled so well, but I think that newness to our side caught Forest out to some extent because they didn’t know what to expect from us.

Great credit goes to our manager and the recruitment team who managed to bring in two of the sort of players I’d given up on us getting under previous managers in Drameh and Doyle and you’d like to think that having done it in January when there’s probably less players at Premier League clubs of comparable quality available, we should be able to get more good loanee in the summer assuming Morison and the recruitment people are still in a job.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Have we ever had so many loan players at the same time before? We may have, but I’m not sure when we’ve had three of them in our first choice starting eleven. Strictly speaking, with Wintle and Watters returning, it was like having five new players against Forest and so there may have been a bit of good luck involved that they all gelled so well, but I think that newness to our side caught Forest out to some extent because they didn’t know what to expect from us.

Great credit goes to our manager and the recruitment team who managed to bring in two of the sort of players I’d given up on us getting under previous managers in Drameh and Doyle and you’d like to think that having done it in January when there’s probably less players at Premier League clubs of comparable quality available, we should be able to get more good loanee in the summer assuming Morison and the recruitment people are still in a job.
    The trouble with loanees in the summer, is some of the better players might not go out until the very end of the window - if they are on the fringes of their squad then many teams will want to wait until they know if they sign their targets and who they lose before seeing if they can release them.

Similarly we got Harry Wilson out of the blue on transfer deadline day because they were looking for a permanent transfer but it fell through.

With so many players to need to bring in we can't afford to leave it too late.

They've shown that we can put a good case (and powerpoint presentation) together for some of the more discerning clubs, so that will hopefully stand us in good stead in getting more loanees in. (I dread to think what kind of powerpoint we would have put together under Warnock)

We also need to be looking at out of contract players sooner rather than later - there are lots who would do a job for us.

The trouble with loanees in the summer, is some of the better players might not go out until the very end of the window - if they are on the fringes of their squad then many teams will want to wait until they know if they sign their targets and who they lose before seeing if they can release them.

Similarly we got Harry Wilson out of the blue on transfer deadline day because they were looking for a permanent transfer but it fell through.

With so many players to need to bring in we can't afford to leave it too late.

They've shown that we can put a good case (and powerpoint presentation) together for some of the more discerning clubs, so that will hopefully stand us in good stead in getting more loanees in. (I dread to think what kind of powerpoint we would have put together under Warnock)

We also need to be looking at out of contract players sooner rather than later - there are lots who would do a job for us.
    We can’t rely solely on loanees when the odds are that there will be so many members of the first team squad leaving, but, whenever they come, I would be far more hopeful of this management group securing high quality young players on loan, whenever they arrive in the summer, than I have been with all of our previous four managers at least.

I think Morison is on record as saying that he’s been backed for nearly every player he’s wanted to bring in, so it’s likely they are his choices.

Tuerto’s observations on Doyle in another thread are spot on, but there were people on here opposed to bringing a young player in that blocked the path for one of ours. There may even have been similar opposition to Drameh as well and there were certainly people in the Hugill is shit camp.

Could it perhaps be that Morison actually knows what he is doing more than us in the peanut gallery give him credit for. I certainly don’t see any disunity and I’m so grateful that he replaced McCarthy, who was taking money under false pretences. No matter who the opposition I’d given up hope of seeing us play like we did yesterday.

I very much like what I have seen so far from Morisons tenure. If they continue in a similar vein till the end of this season and Morison is the man behind these signings then he has to be the man for our future.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-23046857

Nothing controversial in here. His point on Premier League loanees raising the bar for our younger players is a good one. As TLG says Morison knows best 😜

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yes credit where it’s due but I highly doubt it was somebody at boardroom level
    VT has been watching them 😳

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-23046857

Nothing controversial in here. His point on Premier League loanees raising the bar for our younger players is a good one. As TLG says Morison knows best 😜
    I agree with him completely. At the end of the day quality counts and it's a salutary lesson for the whole of the club to understand and to assimilate. I liked what he said about Isaac Davies too and hope we'll hear more of those kind of encouraging remarks as time goes on

I would guess Kevin Beadell has had a big say in Doyle and Drameh, as he was Arsenal's u23 head of recruitment for a while, so logic would suggest he's fairly familiar with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I would guess Kevin Beadell has had a big say in Doyle and Drameh, as he was Arsenal's u23 head of recruitment for a while, so logic would suggest he's fairly familiar with them.
    Oh please don't invite Logic to comment

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Pedro’s a multi!

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Pedro’s a multi!
    I wish