+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff v Brentford 1999

Cardiff v Brentford 1999

https://youtu.be/m9fscrz0qWQ

Several clips of the fans in the Grange end: someone may recognise themselves.

Excellent goal by Fowler. Imagine if we had him a Whitts in the same team!

Not so Excellent defending by Brentford for our 4th

Re: Cardiff v Brentford 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post

That goal by Jason Fowler is one of my favourites.

I always rated him as a player and expected him to go on and have a decent career
    at a higher level (but I think that he was hampered by illness :-( )

I saw the title. Immediately thought: Fowler's chip; Herman Heridarssson getting the runaround all game. Fowler's goal was amazing. One of my top 5. This was a big game, we battered them. Fowler was class. Should really have played at a higher level, but had a thyroid problem which must have been a nightmare for him.

Mark Delaney was one hell of a player, too. And Eckhardt.

Man, I miss Ninian Park!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I saw the title. Immediately thought: Fowler's chip; Herman Heridarssson getting the runaround all game. Fowler's goal was amazing. One of my top 5. This was a big game, we battered them. Fowler was class. Should really have played at a higher level, but had a thyroid problem which must have been a nightmare for him.

Mark Delaney was one hell of a player, too. And Eckhardt.
    While our results didn’t fall off the edge of a cliff after we sold Delaney, the home wins virtually dried up as we drew game after game. Delaney was sometimes unplayable at that level, he was a true wing back that season proving to be very solid defensively and, arguably, our best attacker. He didn’t play much for Villa in the last few months of 98/99, but he was in the team every week the following season and stayed there until injury started taking a toll - I’m struggling to think of another player who handled the jump from fourth tier to first in the Premier League era so seamlessly.

Watching this clip, how on earth did Grahame Lloyd have a career in commentary? He was utterly useless.

A great afternoon, was on the Grange End - recall it was also Frankie Burrow's birthday too. Remember him throwing his cap on the floor at 3-0 up after one of our lot made a mistake!

I was there for that day. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    While our results didn’t fall off the edge of a cliff after we sold Delaney, the home wins virtually dried up as we drew game after game. Delaney was sometimes unplayable at that level, he was a true wing back that season proving to be very solid defensively and, arguably, our best attacker. He didn’t play much for Villa in the last few months of 98/99, but he was in the team every week the following season and stayed there until injury started taking a toll - I’m struggling to think of another player who handled the jump from fourth tier to first in the Premier League era so seamlessly.
    A couple of years ago, I watched one of those Sky shows, It was presented by Paul Merson and he interviewed someone every week and would go through that players best players he ever played with from 1-11. Can’t remember exactly who it was, but think it was Deon Dublin? He picked Delaney in his team. I remember being quite shocked at that. Goes to show what a quality player Delaney was.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    His goal against Chester in the cup (from his own penalty area if I remember correctly?) was one of the best I've ever seen live.

I seem to remember Warren Aspinall grabbing and wobbling his stomach at the Bob Bank after being at the receiving end of the 'you fat b*st*rd' chant all game...

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Pillock View Post
    I seem to remember Warren Aspinall grabbing and wobbling his stomach at the Bob Bank after being at the receiving end of the 'you fat b*st*rd' chant all game...
    I think that was when he was playing for Carlisle? Stripey job, with Eddie Stobart on it.

He had a rough time of it after retirement, I hope he's doing better now.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    His goal against Chester in the cup (from his own penalty area if I remember correctly?) was one of the best I've ever seen live.
    Yeah ran the length of the pitch, took on half their team. Only goal he scored for us.

I also wonder: how many of our ex players have gone on to manage an EPL side? Admittedly his stint lasted days and was really only as a result of Covid, but nevertheless it must put him in quite a small group.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Yeah ran the length of the pitch, took on half their team. Only goal he scored for us.

I also wonder: how many of our ex players have gone on to manage an EPL side? Admittedly his stint lasted days and was really only as a result of Covid, but nevertheless it must put him in quite a small group.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAxaDZZ5JCA about a minute in.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous Angel View Post
    Brilliant.

That final touch before the goal, tho..... did the keeper mess up there? Looks like he should have collected it.

great game, superb kit. thought hallworth was a class keeper, qpr pen saves spring to mind.

This clip had us talking on Tuesday night in the pub beforehand, no one could remember Mitchell
    Playing centre half for us at the time?
    We couldn't get a signal until we got outside
    I even bumped into the Boss MM in the concourse under the Ninian stand and he didn't have a clue either
    Turns out he played over 40+ games for us and I remembered his face once Google was available

Brentford 'keeper is Freddie Woodman's [ex Swansea] father..