+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 MPH Cardiff Road Scheme Goes Live

Re: 20 MPH Cardiff Road Scheme Goes Live

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Does it say that a singular cyclist can ride near the centre of the road?
    Does it say that a singular cyclist has to ride in the gutter on the side of the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    In my fifties I was averaging 27 mph in ten mile time trials and 22 mph over fifty miles.
    Yes, averaging.
    I would imagine there’s quite a difference in riding styles between a commuter cycling to work and you doing time trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I would imagine there’s quite a difference in riding styles between a commuter cycling to work and you doing time trials.
    Quite. You can never cycle harder than when you've got a bus up your arse.

Does it say that a singular cyclist can ride near the centre of the road?
    Try reading it

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    In my fifties I was averaging 27 mph in ten mile time trials and 22 mph over fifty miles.
    Yes, averaging.
    Easy when you haven't got 1 tonne metal boxes, transporting just 1 person, blocking the roads and causing congestion and polution though.

Most of North Cardiff been down to 15mph for a while, how the hell were going to enjoy the extra 5mph is beyond me ?

Tour de France winners average just above 20mph. You can rest easy knowing cyclists won’t be affected by these rules as they won’t be hitting 20mph cycling to work
    A bit more than 20mph

25-28 mph
    Average Speed on Flat Ground: 25-28 mph
    For many pro athletes racing in the Tour de France, being able to maintain a fast speed on flat terrain allows them to simply stay competitive with the other athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Car drivers don’t pay road tax either
    They pay vehicle tax. It's semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    A bit more than 20mph

25-28 mph
    Average Speed on Flat Ground: 25-28 mph
    For many pro athletes racing in the Tour de France, being able to maintain a fast speed on flat terrain allows them to simply stay competitive with the other athletes.
    How many Tour de France grade cyclists do you encounter commuting to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Does it say that a singular cyclist has to ride in the gutter on the side of the road?
    You are just looking for an argument.

I was riding my moped down Newport Rd in the 70s and had the throttle flat out when a cyclist overtook me. Never lived it down.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Try reading it
    You can just post the answer here.

You're arguing with me now as someone who is anti bike. I ride myself and when alone I stick as close to the kerb as possible without hindering myself or my ability to cycle.

The lengths some people will go to to justify a moan is what makes this site great

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The lengths some people will go to to justify a moan is what makes this site great

I can reach 20mph on my bike, looking forward to the speed I hit once I take the stabilisers off

I don’t, as I’ve retired

You can just post the answer here.

You're arguing with me now as someone who is anti bike. I ride myself and when alone I stick as close to the kerb as possible without hindering myself or my ability to cycle.
    I'm not arguing with anyone. I was suggesting that if you want to know the rules for cyclists you shout read them.

Rule 66
    You should

be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so

Rule 72
    Road positioning. When riding on the roads, there are two basic road positions you should adopt, depending on the situation.

1) Ride in the centre of your lane, to make yourself as clearly visible as possible, in the following situations

on quiet roads or streets – if a faster vehicle comes up behind you, move to the left to enable them to overtake, if you can do so safely
    in slower-moving traffic - when the traffic around you starts to flow more freely, move over to the left if you can do so safely so that faster vehicles behind you can overtake
    at the approach to junctions or road narrowings where it would be unsafe for drivers to overtake you
    2) When riding on busy roads, with vehicles moving faster than you, allow them to overtake where it is safe to do so whilst keeping at least 0.5 metres away, and further where it is safer, from the kerb edge. Remember that traffic on most dual carriageways moves quickly. Take extra care crossing slip roads.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I'm not arguing with anyone. I was suggesting that if you want to know the rules for cyclists you shout read them.

Rule 66
    You should

be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so

Rule 72
    Road positioning. When riding on the roads, there are two basic road positions you should adopt, depending on the situation.

1) Ride in the centre of your lane, to make yourself as clearly visible as possible, in the following situations

on quiet roads or streets – if a faster vehicle comes up behind you, move to the left to enable them to overtake, if you can do so safely
    in slower-moving traffic - when the traffic around you starts to flow more freely, move over to the left if you can do so safely so that faster vehicles behind you can overtake
    at the approach to junctions or road narrowings where it would be unsafe for drivers to overtake you
    2) When riding on busy roads, with vehicles moving faster than you, allow them to overtake where it is safe to do so whilst keeping at least 0.5 metres away, and further where it is safer, from the kerb edge. Remember that traffic on most dual carriageways moves quickly. Take extra care crossing slip roads.
    On a bright and clear day, with traffic coming in both directions and 478 cars piled up behind you because you are in the centre of your lane, visible to all, should you then move in closer to allow vehicles to pass or stay there letting the congestion build up behind you?

Isn't bright clothing for visibility?

I've not seen any of this about!!.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...e304581f&ei=32

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Effects those in Llandaff North,Whitchurch,Tongwnlias, Rhiwbina and Heath.

Goes live March 22.
    The idiot deliveroo type cyclists round by us in Canton must be doing well over 20, I doubt the Plod will bother trying to stop them

Going live accross Wales in September. Thank god .

It brings peace , safety and tranquility .

I'd introduce it on the M4 through Wales to speed up the traffic ..

Drakeford loves Motorists revolution rolls on , no new roads , deter holidays makers, speed cameras watching every movement.

Yep North Korea model moves closer.

"Drivers are saying a drop to 20mph will see an increase in Road Rage incidents."

That says more about the drivers than the speed limit, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    "Drivers are saying a drop to 20mph will see an increase in Road Rage incidents."

Yes do agree .

If someone gets road rage at something like 20mph they need to be hospitalised or stay in..

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Going live accross Wales in September. Thank god .

It brings peace , safety and tranquility .

I'd introduce it on the M4 through Wales to speed up the traffic ..

Drakeford loves Motorists revolution rolls on , no new roads , deter holidays makers, speed cameras watching every movement.

Yep North Korea model moves closer.
    I like your Idea on the M4. What drugs have you been taking? You seem intelligent suddenly!

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post

Anyone with Road Rage should be summarily euthanised!