+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cup Tied

Cup Tied

I saw that Luis Diaz played for Liverpool last night even though he had previously played for Porto in the Champions League, which is now allowed under UEFA rules.

Got me wondering what purpose the cup-tied rule now serves in domestic football. Any advantage it was trying to eliminate is significantly reduced by transfer window restrictions. Also the general lowering of importance of cup competitions for the biggest clubs vs say, finishing 4th or above in the Premier League.

Maybe it has outlived its usefulness and should be abolished domestically.

Re: Cup Tied

Very good point.

Hmmm. Seems so obvious now you've said it.

Man Utd were, understandably after Munich, allowed to bring in and play players in the FA Cup who’d played in it already for other clubs, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Man Utd were, understandably after Munich, allowed to bring in and play players in the FA Cup who’d played in it already for other clubs, I believe.
    That's no more logical than the fact that other clubs can't?! Made perfect sense in the aftermath, but that concession really should have expired by now

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    That's no more logical than the fact that other clubs can't?! Made perfect sense in the aftermath, but that concession really should have expired by now
    It was only for the one season, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It was only for the one season, obviously.
    Haha- my mistake! Thouit you were saying it still applied!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Haha- my mistake! Thouit you were saying it still applied!