+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tough Love? Is it a thing and does it have a place?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tough Love? Is it a thing and does it have a place?

Psychology and social norms aside, most professional footballers are not on typical employment contracts so have a different legal service relationship with clubs as most people have with the employer who pays their salary.

Re: Tough Love? Is it a thing and does it have a place?

Quote Originally Posted by ashi83 View Post
    Psychology and social norms aside, most professional footballers are not on typical employment contracts so have a different legal service relationship with clubs as most people have with the employer who pays their salary.
    Surely those atypical employment contracts wouldn't override basic employment rights of the time though?

Question: would it be legal for an employer to write into a contract that they could publicly humiliate you? If you signed that contract therefore would you be waiving your rights? Would you even be allowed to do so? Would that stand up at a tribunal? You'd have to be of sound mind too i.e. not need the support of a responsible adult.

Compromise agreements i.e. where you effectively agree to shut the f*ck up in exchange for a financial package exist. I've signed one in my time. It was complex and I had to employ the services of a suitable lawyer (in fact it was a legal requirement that I did).

I'm not expecting you to answer all of these questions and if you are a lawyer then what are the chances of some free legal advice anyway? (I'm kidding mate) but if there are others out there that do know I'd be interested in the views.

I still think, no matter what anyone says, that footballers i.e. any employee will have the same rights as anyone else regarding laws associated with bullying.