+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1927 Cup Final - Abide With Me 92,000 voices

1927 Cup Final - Abide With Me 92,000 voices

Re: 1927 Cup Final - Abide With Me 92,000 voices

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I've got a copy of the original recording on 78.

Wow have you , amazing.

Imagine being there. What a day that would have been.
    1927 was the first year it was sung at the cup final I think, and the first time there was live radio commentary. A significant year for the FA Cup for lots of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Family heirloom. I wasn't there personally. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Wow. It's also rare because of just how brittle those 78s were so there can't be many of that particular recording left in the world. Hope you have it insured.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Wow. It's also rare because of just how brittle those 78s were so there can't be many of that particular recording left in the world. Hope you have it insured.
    Not separately. Perhaps I should.

I was choked when we sang it in the 2008 cup final. I’m a football romantic and that was the moment it really hit me that we were in an FA Cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I was choked when we sang it in the 2008 cup final. I’m a football romantic and that was the moment it really hit me that we were in an FA Cup final.
    Yeh, me too. And knowing it’s link with the 1927 final made it a special moment.

For the few that don't know, the king was there in 1927 and he liked the singing of Abide With Me so much that he requested that it should be sung every year.
    What he didn't know was that a welsh crowd wouldn't be there for another 81 years, so male voice choir members would not be so prominent.
    Also he didn't know that the singing would be led, or should I say ruined, by some celeb singer a la Lesley Garret in 2008 wailing like a banshee.

My memory of the 2008 final, is one of major disappointment in as much as, we were playing a bang average Pompey side, and let a glorious chance slip through our hands.
    Also thought Ramsey should have been on from the start.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    For the few that don't know, the king was there in 1927 and he liked the singing of Abide With Me so much that he requested that it should be sung every year.
    What he didn't know was that a welsh crowd wouldn't be there for another 81 years, so male voice choir members would not be so prominent.
    Also he didn't know that the singing would be led, or should I say ruined, by some celeb singer a la Lesley Garret in 2008 wailing like a banshee.
    Garret and Jenkins appeared to be on a self promotion mission by seeing who could be more ott during the singing.

Dare I say it, having waited decades to see us in a cup final at Wembley ,the semi final and the League Cup against Liverpool were better occasions.

Maybe a case of I expected so/ too much of the occasion .

International

Its perhaps something to do with the Choirs but a Welsh Match is also the reason that national anthems are sung before internationals. This time though rugby.
    In 1905 the first ever New Zealand rugby team toured UK. At that time the weren't known as the All blacks but called themselves The Originals.
    Before they left on the ship they had a reception in Wellington and the NZ Prime minister in his speech said that he didn't care if they lost every game so long as they beat Wales.
    In the event they won every single match before they came to Wales for the last game of their tour. there was a crowd of about 49,000 people there, a huge number in those days.
    The welsh captain gathered the team together and to try to instil some pride into them he started singing the Welsh National Anthem and the team joined in. The crowd picked up on it and by the end all 49,000 were singing. Wales wone the game 3 - 0!
    Interviewed after the match about the loss the NZ Captain said words to the effect of "When those thousands of Welshmen started singing, that is when we lost the game. Right then before a ball was kicked."
    After that Wales started doing it all the time so the opposition started doing it because they saw the way it motivated the Welsh.
    As an added point, NZ at the time was still a colony so had no national anthem of their own to answer any anthem so they started doing the Hakka as their anthem. So wales is responsible for that too!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Its perhaps something to do with the Choirs but a Welsh Match is also the reason that national anthems are sung before internationals. This time though rugby.
    In 1905 the first ever New Zealand rugby team toured UK. At that time the weren't known as the All blacks but called themselves The Originals.
    Before they left on the ship they had a reception in Wellington and the NZ Prime minister in his speech said that he didn't care if they lost every game so long as they beat Wales.
    In the event they won every single match before they came to Wales for the last game of their tour. there was a crowd of about 49,000 people there, a huge number in those days.
    The welsh captain gathered the team together and to try to instil some pride into them he started singing the Welsh National Anthem and the team joined in. The crowd picked up on it and by the end all 49,000 were singing. Wales wone the game 3 - 0!
    Interviewed after the match about the loss the NZ Captain said words to the effect of "When those thousands of Welshmen started singing, that is when we lost the game. Right then before a ball was kicked."
    After that Wales started doing it all the time so the opposition started doing it because they saw the way it motivated the Welsh.
    As an added point, NZ at the time was still a colony so had no national anthem of their own to answer any anthem so they started doing the Hakka as their anthem. So wales is responsible for that too!!
    That’s interesting, thank you for your posting

Here’s a nice video of the 1990 Cup Final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqHqC8PLJfU

It was played in my Dad's funeral, so it's always a bit of a choker for me.

Also, Bridge Over Troubled Water and A long and Winding Road.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    My memory of the 2008 final, is one of major disappointment in as much as, we were playing a bang average Pompey side, and let a glorious chance slip through our hands.
    They were hardly a bang average side. They didn't play that well on the day, but a team including James, Campbell Johnson, Kanu Distin, Utaku and Pedro Mendez was hardly average. Overpaid with questionable financial management yes, but not average.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    They were hardly a bang average side. They didn't play that well on the day, but a team including James, Campbell Johnson, Kanu Distin, Utaku and Pedro Mendez was hardly average. Overpaid with questionable financial management yes, but not average.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    It was played in my Dad's funeral, so it's always a bit of a choker for me.

Also, Bridge Over Troubled Water and A long and Winding Road.
    My dad was in Risca MVC when he died. Many of them were in the church so the singing of Cwm Rhondda was pretty good, to say the least.
    But then they marched in front of the hearse to the cemetery, and sang Clef at the graveside, a little way up the hill.
    I was told the singing could be heard not only in the town, but on the other side of the valley.
    I couldn't hold the tears in.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Funny you should mention this. A few years ago I stumbled across a book of music for a British Empire Exhibition to be held at Wembley Stadium. The King had requested a Welsh week at the exhibition, held at the end of August 1924. Hundreds of thousands appeared there by all accounts.

At the time the stadium was built for this exhibition, seen as essential in promoting British trade after WWI. The then Prince of Wales was keen that the building would include a national sports stadium. It was built in April 1923 and the FA were interested in hosting cup finals there. The original name for Wembley was the Empire Stadium.

There were two exhibitions, in 1924 and 1925, and while FA cup finals were held there, there were plans to demolish the ground. These failed and it was bought in 1927.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Also what sticks in my mind from that day was the way the fair-weather fans seated around us fell silent after Pompey scored and remained so for the rest of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Also what sticks in my mind from that day was the way the fair-weather fans seated around us fell silent after Pompey scored and remained so for the rest of the match.
    I was probably one of those, then. Nice to be labelled as a fair-weather fan. I've never been one of those to sing and chant throughout a game, but will do from time to time.

For me, I was more interested in watching the game, very nervously, hoping we could get an equaliser. I think that would render quite a few non-fair-weather City fans quiet.