+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: £2BN Per Month

£2BN Per Month

Testing costs which for most is a cold is to be scrapped , hopefully they will reallocate this expenditure into the NHS more pressing issues like housing , fuel poverty and the like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sMVFNoH0BI

Re: £2BN Per Month

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Testing costs which for most is a cold is to be scrapped , hopefully they will reallocate this expenditure into the NHS more pressing issues like housing , fuel poverty and the like
    In your dreams

If those issues are important to you I'm really curious as to who you vote for.

Do agree.

To continue as we are will only see folk not being treated for other critical diseases.

Testing could return if a more dangerous variant rocks up , let's remember we were advised by South African experts that Omicron was a much weaker variant . Think England has got it right now and before Xmas .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Do agree.

To continue as we are will only see folk not being treated for other critical diseases.

Testing could return if a more dangerous variant rocks up , let's remember we were advised by South African experts that Omicron was a much weaker variant . Think England has got it right now and before Xmas .
    Perhaps you can explain why you have so much faith in the UK Government's decision making "right now" when the WHO, the BMA and NHS consultants' organisations are urging a more cautious approach, as are other Parliamentary parties, many scientists and virologists? Why is it that you believe that the Conservative party, in particular a Prime Minister clinging on to his job by his finger nails in recent months, is right and "the science" is wrong?

That's the truth of it - if and when Messrs Valance, Whitty etc. come out and outline the data which is driving the decisions to be announced today, then things become different and we can make a decision based on data, logic and analysis because at the moment all we're hearing is Johnson apologists talking about "moving on" when there's still tens of thousands testing positive every day, hospital admissions are in five figures and deaths per day are still often in the hundreds every day - if there are sound scientific reasons, rather than urgent political ones, why dropping all restrictions makes sense, let's hear them because we're not doing so yet.

Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Perhaps you can explain why you have so much faith in the UK Government's decision making "right now" when the WHO, the BMA and NHS consultants' organisations are urging a more cautious approach, as are other Parliamentary parties, many scientists and virologists? Why is it that you believe that the Conservative party, in particular a Prime Minister clinging on to his job by his finger nails in recent months, is right and "the science" is wrong?

That's the truth of it - if and when Messrs Valance, Whitty etc. come out and outline the data which is driving the decisions to be announced today, then things become different and we can make a decision based on data, logic and analysis because at the moment all we're hearing is Johnson apologists talking about "moving on" when there's still tens of thousands testing positive every day, hospital admissions are in five figures and deaths per day are still often in the hundreds every day - if there are sound scientific reasons, rather than urgent political ones, why dropping all restrictions makes sense, let's hear them because we're not doing so yet.
    Very good post.

Denmark and Norway are also lifting all restrictions. What a bunch of neo-fascist Tory scumbags hellbent on killing their own citizens.

https://www.thelocal.no/20220212/nor...-restrictions/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eur...ic%20transport.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Denmark and Norway are also lifting all restrictions. What a bunch of neo-fascist Tory scumbags hellbent on killing their own citizens.

https://www.thelocal.no/20220212/nor...-restrictions/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eur...ic%20transport.
    Neither story says that all restrictions have been scrapped though do they and all you’re indulging in there is whataboutery - I’m not against the lifting of all restrictions, but I’d like to think you’d appreciate why I’d want a bit more convincing that it’s safe to do so than the word of the man who was bragging about how he’d still be carrying on shaking hands with everyone a couple of years ago.

Neither story says that all restrictions have been scrapped though do they and all you’re indulging in there is whataboutery - I’m not against the lifting of all restrictions, but I’d like to think you’d appreciate why I’d want a bit more convincing that it’s safe to do so than the word of the man who was bragging about how he’d still be carrying on shaking hands with everyone a couple of years ago.
    I was only intending to be light hearted. I do understand your point.

I think the issue here though, is that it will never be wholly safe. Just like it's not wholly safe to spend £2bn a month on tests instead of on other health issues. Or it wont be safe making people sit all day at home for work. Or in closing local GP clinics (as mine is) or in making cancer treatments more difficult to diagnose.

Government has to achieve balance. It's normal for experts in numerous fields to advise for or against something, but these are frequently contradictory. For example, an expert advising against any airborne virus will always advise that restrictions will keep that virus more under control. But those same restrictions will impact upon other people in other ways.

Personally, I think we urgently need to live with this, and people can take personal responsibility, take additional precautions if needs be and as a society we can move on from the hell of the last two years.

I do appreciate you are probably only arguing for a modest retention of some restrictions, but if needs be those can be bought back in. Until then, I think we should go for it.

I think the issue here though, is that it will never be wholly safe. Just like it's not wholly safe to spend £2bn a month on tests instead of on other health issues. Or it wont be safe making people sit all day at home for work. Or in closing local GP clinics (as mine is) or in making cancer treatments more difficult to diagnose.

Government has to achieve balance. It's normal for experts in numerous fields to advise for or against something, but these are frequently contradictory. For example, an expert advising against any airborne virus will always advise that restrictions will keep that virus more under control. But those same restrictions will impact upon other people in other ways.

Personally, I think we urgently need to live with this, and people can take personal responsibility, take additional precautions if needs be and as a society we can move on from the hell of the last two years.

I do appreciate you are probably only arguing for a modest retention of some restrictions, but if needs be those can be bought back in. Until then, I think we should go for it.
    More than 10,000 in hospital is too many for me to agree with easing of all restrictions. I know Covid has been able to prosper in warmer climates in other parts of the world, but in the last two years the infection rate has fallen back dramatically in the spring/early summer and, on the information we have at the moment, it seems sensible to hang with the light restrictions we have until then, unless, as I mentioned earlier, the UK Government has access to new scientific information which changes things for the better.

Unlikely the genie can go back in the bottle. Bringing restrictions back in if needed will be very very difficult.

Relaxing is definitely a step in the right direction, something we all want to happen. Complete removal of everything, including the requirement to isolate if positive, is probably too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Unlikely the genie can go back in the bottle. Bringing restrictions back in if needed will be very very difficult.

Relaxing is definitely a step in the right direction, something we all want to happen. Complete removal of everything, including the requirement to isolate if positive, is probably too soon.
    Hic!

It's two fingers up to vulnerable people and although this move is primarily about Boris keeping his job, it will definitely play well with a not insignificant portion of the public who really couldn't give a **** anymore.

I just think no government had any experience in this and yes mistakes were made all over the world in a rush and panic , therefore it is very difficult to judge what they did right or wrong , or good or bad .

What i do appreciate is that early gamble to fund and find a vaccine so quickly , you could see Europe's hesitancy and doubts early and telling folk that some vaccines were not safe was bewildering , and may have caused death through vaccine hesitancy , as was the oppositions desire to line up and wait with Europe , wait we have now is the bitterness to dampen the success ( guess its old fashioned politics )

I am sure there is a lot crap and dubious decision to be revealed both in Westminster , Wales and Scotland , bring on the enquiry I say in all the countries .

Lets be honest whatever the government did with Boris in charge folk would hate as Brexit and nailed on Tory hatred exists so embedded no recognition of anything they do well would be applauded ,its almost pointless debating it .

Lastly I do think as a people we dont like to recognise and applaud our achievements .

Still not quite feeling the same impact as others as I have pretty much been doing whatever I like for months now. Wearing a mask for 15 minutes a day and staying away from people when I'm ill didn't seem like a massive ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Still not quite feeling the same impact as others as I have pretty much been doing whatever I like for months now. Wearing a mask for 15 minutes a day and staying away from people when I'm ill didn't seem like a massive ask.
    Masks the majority of the population wear make no difference whatsoever, neither do those plastic screens They are just a reminder to the public that we are in a pandemic.

Places with mandatory mask mandates have had much higher case rates than here in general.

Masks the majority of the population wear make no difference whatsoever, neither do those plastic screens They are just a reminder to the public that we are in a pandemic.

Places with mandatory mask mandates have had much higher case rates than here in general.
    There is a lot of debate out there I was still wearing mine after the first opening after the first knockdown early last year when even the the cautious Welsh government hadn't mandated it did it out of courtesy .

I feel its sad you have to make a law to show courtesy and think of others and we post the finger at governments lack of duty and care .

Face masks are part of a measure , sitting alongside other preventive measures, such as getting vaccinated, hand-washing ,physical distancing , it only slows the spread of the virus though .

Trouble with mask wearing rules its inconstant okay not to wear one in a huge pub like say Walkabout whcih must see thousands pass each other and them wear one on transport with the bus windows open or less folk about .

Rules down the City are equally bizarre mask on to approach and go through an turnstiles take them off when you enter the concourse where there are thousand of fans drinking , mingling , laughing , ,eating , talking ,some singing ,chanting .

??

That is not true.

The masks that the majority of the population wear do make a difference - based on the best available evidence to date from a range of international surveys. It may be a 'modest' difference, but even re-used and badly fitting they form a partial barrier to aerosol transmission. Even if it is just a 15-20% reduction in risk of receiving or passing on the virus, it is worth doing whilst the infection rate is still so high.

In high risk situations medical grade masks have been the difference between life and death for health professionals.

Your final comment suggests that mask wearing actually contributes to infection rates. Which rabbit hole is hiding the 'evidence' for that claim?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    That is not true.

The masks that the majority of the population wear do make a difference - based on the best available evidence to date from a range of international surveys. It may be a 'modest' difference, but even re-used and badly fitting they form a partial barrier to aerosol transmission. Even if it is just a 15-20% reduction in risk of receiving or passing on the virus, it is worth doing whilst the infection rate is still so high.

In high risk situations medical grade masks have been the difference between life and death for health professionals.

Your final comment suggests that mask wearing actually contributes to infection rates. Which rabbit hole is hiding the 'evidence' for that claim?

I don’t agree , and my final comment suggests that people become complacent wearing them thus increasing infection rates. Medical Grades ones probably do assist, however , they are not mandatory. Furthermore they are not correctly placed on the face on most people , they are often touched and are not replaced often enough.

If they were that effective don’t you think there would be medical grade collection bins fitted on every street corner to minimise contamination ?

Van Tamm and Jenny Harris stated this also about two months into Lockdown

I don’t agree , and my final comment suggests that people become complacent wearing them thus increasing infection rates. Medical Grades ones probably do assist, however , they are not mandatory. Furthermore they are not correctly placed on the face on most people , they are often touched and are not replaced often enough.

If they were that effective don’t you think there would be medical grade collection bins fitted on every street corner to minimise contamination ?

Van Tamm and Jenny Harris stated this also about two months into Lockdown
    Mask collection bins on every street would be insanely expensive, and there's no where near enough supply.

That's the reason we don't have them, not because masks are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I just think no government had any experience in this and yes mistakes were made all over the world in a rush and panic , therefore it is very difficult to judge what they did right or wrong , or good or bad .

What i do appreciate is that early gamble to fund and find a vaccine so quickly , you could see Europe's hesitancy and doubts early and telling folk that some vaccines were not safe was bewildering , and may have caused death through vaccine hesitancy , as was the oppositions desire to line up and wait with Europe , wait we have now is the bitterness to dampen the success ( guess its old fashioned politics )

I am sure there is a lot crap and dubious decision to be revealed both in Westminster , Wales and Scotland , bring on the enquiry I say in all the countries .

Lets be honest whatever the government did with Boris in charge folk would hate as Brexit and nailed on Tory hatred exists so embedded no recognition of anything they do well would be applauded ,its almost pointless debating it .

Lastly I do think as a people we dont like to recognise and applaud our achievements .
    You didn’t answer any of the questions I asked. Just because I don’t like this Government, it doesn’t mean the questions I asked you are not valid.

You didn’t answer any of the questions I asked. Just because I don’t like this Government, it doesn’t mean the questions I asked you are not valid.
    Oops sorry , my view is that the evidence is that Omicron is a weak version, in my view we need to crack on with life , live sensibly with the virus , take personal responsibility for one's interaction with others , get the economy going , and the health service , before we have even greater problems with mental health, poverty, education of the young, and long lasting treatment issues for those with Cancer and other critical health issues.

Bors called it right on this , and the Vaccines , I'm sure he's feckless in many ways , sadly the alternative leadership choices in 2019 wasn't palatable or capable .

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    That is not true.

As is evident from a review of available pre-COVID evidence, masks do not stop aerosols. Aerosol transmission essentially ends any pretense of controlling or stopping COVID in the long run, because it only requires shared air space with someone who’s infected with the virus.

Masks do not stop the spread of aerosols, nor do they protect against inhaling them.

Any reasonable individual reviewing this case would immediately advocate for an end to forced universal masking since there is clearly no benefit against aerosols