+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 41 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The War starts Putin announces "Military Operation" in Ukraine. Explosions heard in Kyiv

The War starts Putin announces "Military Operation" in Ukraine. Explosions heard in Kyiv

From the BBC website

Russian President Vladimir Putin has just announced a "military operation" in Ukraine's Donbas region.

He made the declaration in a televised speech at the same time as the UN Security Council was imploring him to stop.

Ukraine's UN ambassador Sergiy Kyslytsya says Russia's UN envoy has confirmed that his president declared "a war on my country", reports Reuters news agency.

Re: The War starts Putin announces "Military Operation" in Ukraine. Explosions heard in Kyiv

I haven't been keeping up with this very much. Will it affect us in any way?

Re: The War starts Putin announces "Military Operation" in Ukraine. Explosions heard in Kyiv

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with this very much. Will it affect us in any way?
    Putin said:

"To anyone who would consider interfering from the outside: if you do, you will face consequences greater than any you have faced in history. All relevant decisions have been taken. I hope you hear me."

If he's threatening nuclear attacks on any country that tries to defend Ukraine, yeah it might affect us.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Putin said:

"To anyone who would consider interfering from the outside: if you do, you will face consequences greater than any you have faced in history. All relevant decisions have been taken. I hope you hear me."

If he's threatening nuclear attacks on any country that tries to defend Ukraine, yeah it might affect us.
    So, this is a “peace keeping” force entering Ukraine, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, this is a “peace keeping” force entering Ukraine, yes?
    Yes. They’re just going to “denazify” and leave behind a democracy.

Just for once, I agree with Trump.

There's already a 12-page thread on the Ukraine situation started on this forum (same page).

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Putin said:

Considering mother Russia would equally be annihilated then threatening nukes would be rather pointless.

Maybe he means a more of a digital attack, full scale cyber war would be something different.

Or maybe he's saying it more for the Russian people.

Truly awful situation. Thoughts entirely with people of Ukraine.

I have no idea what the solution here is. Best hope is that he stops in eastern Ukraine, which currently seems unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Considering mother Russia would equally be annihilated then threatening nukes would be rather pointless.

Maybe he means a more of a digital attack, full scale cyber war would be something different.

Or maybe he's saying it more for the Russian people.
    That's the long established theory. Let's hope everyone sticks to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    There's already a 12-page thread on the Ukraine situation started on this forum (same page).
    I know,but this now a new ball game

It is now war and I though this momentous moment deserved a thread of its own so that anyone coming on the site could immediately see what a dreadful situation we were now in

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

It is now war and I though this momentous moment deserved a thread of its own so that anyone coming on the site could immediately see what a dreadful situation we were now in
    It does deserve a thread here, you are right.

Absolutely tragic news. Totally pointless loss of human life and destruction of infrastructure. Putin must surely be bordering on insanity just like Hitler in the last days of the Third Reich. Will the Russian people themselves including Putin's political pals say "enough is enough" I wonder and bring an end to his reign?

Putin's played the long game. He had a 10 year plan. Funded Brexit to create disharmony in Europe, fund Trump's conspiracy plans and anarchy in America, make countries such as Germany dependant on Russian oil so they don't want sanctions. UK did f*** all when Russian spies poisoned brits on UK soil. We did f*** all when Russia bombed Syria. He has played us for fools, tested the water in the Crimea. He has China as an ally, supporting their lack of human rights. He funded oligarchs to fund the Tory party. So now he knows he can just do what the hell he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Absolutely tragic news. Totally pointless loss of human life and destruction of infrastructure. Putin must surely be bordering on insanity just like Hitler in the last days of the Third Reich. Will the Russian people themselves including Putin's political pals say "enough is enough" I wonder and bring an end to his reign?
    For a short term solution let's hope there are enough of his 'team' with the backbone to risk their lives and stand up to him; however now he's in war mode and he knows he has the eyes of the world on himself, his unstable mental state, delusion and twisted ego is taking us all to the brink of WW3.

Now the recent nuclear subs detected north of Scotland and jets carrying nuclear weapons off the coast of Southampton take on a very different dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Now the recent nuclear subs detected north of Scotland and jets carrying nuclear weapons off the coast of Southampton take on a very different dimension.

and to think some wanted to scrap Trident

he might have been at calais by now with the threat that any company stands in his way then they are nuked

certainly feels like a chill of the Cold War is back

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Putin's played the long game. He had a 10 year plan. Funded Brexit to create disharmony in Europe, fund Trump's conspiracy plans and anarchy in America, make countries such as Germany dependant on Russian oil so they don't want sanctions. UK did f*** all when Russian spies poisoned brits on UK soil. We did f*** all when Russia bombed Syria. He has played us for fools, tested the water in the Crimea. He has China as an ally, supporting their lack of human rights. He funded oligarchs to fund the Tory party. So now he knows he can just do what the hell he likes.
    Absolutely. Tories receive money from the by Russians but the media said Corbyn is a Russian stooge. Its incredible how the thick majority among us have been duped so easily. If you voted tory/brexit you should be beyond ashamed.

Yup, on reflection, the newly developing gravity of the situation means you've called it right.

The next 48 hours is everything here. Military intervention is seemingly not an option so the raft of sanctions will have to be monumental and the crippling of the Russian economy pretty immediate and profound if it is to have any real effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    The next 48 hours is everything here. Military intervention is seemingly not an option so the raft of sanctions will have to be monumental and the crippling of the Russian economy pretty immediate and profound if it is to have any real effect.
    I think this is definitely the case, I think the Ukrainians will put up a fight but the way the Russians are rolling into the country from numerous directions makes me feel they will quickly be overwhelmed and could be overridden in a matter in less than a week or so. I really hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Absolutely. Tories receive money from the by Russians but the media said Corbyn is a Russian stooge. Its incredible how the thick majority among us have been duped so easily. If you voted tory/brexit you should be beyond ashamed.
    There are of course questions to be answered about Russian influence

But there are other more suitable threads to criticise the government

Can we please keep the petty comments about Brexit etc out of this thread. Elsewhere fair enough, let's try to keep this thread free of party politics. It is not about that

Innocent people will be dying in the Ukraine in the next few days and weeks.

Only one man bears respnsibility for that. The Russian President

Let any criticism in this thread be saved for that bastard

There are of course questions to be answered about Russian influence

But there are other more suitable threads to criticise the government

Can we please keep the petty comments about Brexit etc out of this thread. Elsewhere fair enough, let's try to keep this thread free of party politics. It is not about that

Innocent people will be dying in the Ukraine in the next few days and weeks.

Only one man bears respnsibility for that. The Russian President

Let any criticism in this thread be saved for that bastard
    That's all well and good saying that but our government just unleashed pathetic sanctions against Russia. Our government impose worse sanctions against its own population ffs. Weak sanctions will continue because they receive donations from that country. It's about time those who voted for this realise what they've voted up and be shamed because me and the majority of young people are fed up of the anchor that is the elderly in this country and their voting patterns.

Of course Russia will roll in and "win" - they are one of the biggest armed countries in the world.
    However what Russia has done is invade a country which hasn't been hostile to them, alas when Saddam invaded Kuwait.
    They have broken every rule within the UN so sanctions and wrecking them financially will have to happen first. The Russians will be prepared for this surely though so what effect it has who knows. Then where does it stop, does Western europe and America form a coalition military wise (already NATO) as they did with Iraq in 1991 as surely invasions like this can't just happen without consequences. As soon as that happens Putin starts firing ICBM's towards us all then as he sees outside alliances attacking Russia.
    The man is mad but he's doing it. He's called everyone's bluff, surely the Russian people don't want this.

You do wonder if this is about his legacy , he has always found the removal of the Soviet Union difficult to comprehend and quotes it regularly , perhaps its his last fling to then have him see as one of the great Russian Leader up there with Stalin and Lenin .

The West should really sting him for decades to serve notice to others who follow .

Stuff like this masks his his country's mismanagement and neglect of the Russian economy it relies on energy exports has no foreign investment hence a lot its money is in foreign banks , suffers internally form Russia Mafia and extortion, some experts believe he is just a puppet and nice face of that criminal faceless regime , wages and pensions on the floor .

God I'm glad I live in the UK

Gary Kasparov has been going on about Putin for years.
    Of course he tried to stand as a political opponent to him briefly, but corruption meant that he was prevented from doing so.

This isn't a problem that has emerged overnight, the west's continual weak responses to increasing aggression has emboldened putin

Kasparov's book "winter is coming" published back in 2015

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nter-is-coming

Foresaw a lot of what was happening, and lays the blame at the west

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    That's all well and good saying that but our government just unleashed pathetic sanctions against Russia. Our government impose worse sanctions against its own population ffs. Weak sanctions will continue because they receive donations from that country. It's about time those who voted for this realise what they've voted up and be shamed because me and the majority of young people are fed up of the anchor that is the elderly in this country and their voting patterns.
    I will discuss this with you elsewhere but not on this thread