+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had their utility prices for April onwards yet?

Anyone had their utility prices for April onwards yet?

Shows how bad things have got - mine’s going up £39 a month and I was pleasantly surprised at how low it was.

Re: Anyone had their utility prices for April onwards yet?

Up by £32 for me on a fixed tariff, nobody likes an increase but under the circumstances and scaremongering I’ll take that.

It might be a good idea for us to post which energy provider we use, and their prices per gas therm/elec unit, as this is something the firms never do - it's always "you could save £xxx with us (based on average use)" which is often meaningless. I think this is the only industry which doesn't tell you the exact price you pay for an item.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    It might be a good idea for us to post which energy provider we use, and their prices per gas therm/elec unit, as this is something the firms never do - it's always "you could save £xxx with us (based on average use)" which is often meaningless. I think this is the only industry which doesn't tell you the exact price you pay for an item.
    I got stuck on Shell after my original company went bust - all of the advice I've seen and heard says not to switch at the moment, but I'll definitely be looking to do so when it's considered safe.

One thing I am always interested to know - generally speaking, how much do people have their central heating on? I have it on less than I would like, probably no more than 30 mins a day on average during winter. I'm tight i guess. My mum also knits blankets. As such, I am typically below the £65 a month I pay in direct debits to Shell energy

I also have a two year fixed tariff from last summer - can that still go up by the price cap thingy?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    One thing I am always interested to know - generally speaking, how much do people have their central heating on? I have it on less than I would like, probably no more than 30 mins a day on average during winter. I'm tight i guess. My mum also knits blankets. As such, I am typically below the £65 a month I pay in direct debits to Shell energy

I also have a two year fixed tariff from last summer - can that still go up by the price cap thingy?
    30 minutes a day? Your house must be permanently cold.

Mine is on all day, though the thermostat isn't set that high. We worked out that it was cheaper to do that than for the heating to come on in the morning and the evening with the house getting cold in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Mine is on all day, though the thermostat isn't set that high. We worked out that it was cheaper to do that than for the heating to come on in the morning and the evening with the house getting cold in between.
    thats how i see it

Well, I'm not in it for 10 hours of that, and i just use a blanket if I'm chilly. And there are benefits to not currenly living with a woman..

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    thats how i see it
    Me too.
    My fix runs out tomorrow and I'll be sticking with my supplier (Octopus) for the foreseeable as they are the best energy company I've ever been with in 50 years.
    Outrageously they answer the phone and emails, shocking really I know.
    Russia Today don't report that do they?

I'm at home most days and tend to have the radiators on for about two or three hours in the morning and then three hours or so in the late afternoon/evening - they're not on as I type this.

in the vast majority of cases this will not be cheaper

We have a blast of heat for 40 mins from 07.30 and 18.00. Then we're in the living room in the evening with a gas fire, which we turn off about an hour before going to bed. Our present tariff expires in May. I deliberately avoided the smaller companies a couple of years ago (could see the writing on the wall) and am with British Gas. I also turn the rads off in rooms we don't use, except for a blast on occasional milder days.

If it's cold during the day, we use the gas fire.

We upgraded from a back boiler to a combi and installed a more efficient gas fire just before last Xmas. A couple of weeks ago, I measured our fuel usage for a week and the cost was £13 gas and £15 electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    We have a blast of heat for 40 mins from 07.30 and 18.00. Then we're in the living room in the evening with a gas fire, which we turn off about an hour before going to bed. Our present tariff expires in May. I deliberately avoided the smaller companies a couple of years ago (could see the writing on the wall) and am with British Gas. I also turn the rads off in rooms we don't use, except for a blast on occasional milder days.

If it's cold during the day, we use the gas fire.

We upgraded from a back boiler to a combi and installed a more efficient gas fire just before last Xmas. A couple of weeks ago, I measured our fuel usage for a week and the cost was £13 gas and £15 electricity.
    You should try layered clothing, it works a treat

I'm with Octopussy after Avro went t*ts up. They seem genuine. Might take a look at some Gazprom deals later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You should try layered clothing, it works a treat
    Hear, hear.

Wear a bobble hat, donkey jacket and insulate your body and legs with newspaper when at home to offset higher energy prices. Alternatively, spend as much time as you possibly can in bed clinging to a hot water bottle.

Selfishly, I pay no attention to rising leccy and gas prices because I resisted all attempts the energy supplier made to get their smart meters through my front door.

Let's say it's not difficult, once you know how to, for your analogue meter readings to reflect the usage you want them to. This method, which involves a few minutes of prayer each day, doesn't work on smart meters.

Mine was $307. It's normally about $230.

I am electric only flat.

current rates: 21.2p per kWh
    standing charge: 24.8p per day

New rates: 28.2p per kWh
    standing charge: 48.1p per day

Fortunately my usage is very low ( I do not use heating)

so on my average usage an increase of £4 a week.

----------

this week I cancelled Sky TV, Netflix and bought a firestick.

savings £38 a month (-£50 iptv per year). This will cover all energy increases with change

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I am electric only flat

----------

savings £38 a month (-£50 iptv per year). This will cover all energy increases with change
    Good grief, your paying the thick end of £22 pm even if you use no energy at all!

You jammy bugger! If you got a two year fix from last summer, your bills won't go up until summer next year!
    Unless Shell go bust and you're moved elsewhere, which is unlikely, but that's what happened with all those smaller companies that went bust - they couldn't put their retail fixed prices up, but had to pay higher wholesale prices.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I am electric only flat.

----------

I'd like to know how they can possibly justify almost doubling the standing charge. Search for a different supplier for a better deal, there's plenty out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    You jammy bugger! If you got a two year fix from last summer, your bills won't go up until summer next year!
    Unless Shell go bust and you're moved elsewhere, which is unlikely, but that's what happened with all those smaller companies that went bust - they couldn't put their retail fixed prices up, but had to pay higher wholesale prices.
    That was my assumption, but I have read somewhere that even fixed rates are only linked to the energy price cap or something? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    Me too.
    My fix runs out tomorrow and I'll be sticking with my supplier (Octopus) for the foreseeable as they are the best energy company I've ever been with in 50 years.
    Outrageously they answer the phone and emails, shocking really I know.
    Russia Today don't report that do they?
    I'm with Octopus and have just received revised figures for April:

Unit rate: 36.04p/kWh (was 18.93p)
    Standing charge: 24.86p/day (was 23.29p)

This is for a 12 month fixed deal. Whilst the standing charge has hardly changed, the unit cost has doubled! I was anticipating a 50% hike maybe, to about 28p but 36p is surely a rip-off?!

What price are you paying Lincoln Blue?

Your deal will last until it expires, so you should escape any immediate increases - but get walloped when it does expire.

Im with shell 886 a year rise.

Anybody with e on read this could be good news you need to act quick
    https://www.express.co.uk/finance/pe...d-78f22b0fb0cf

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I'd like to know how they can possibly justify almost doubling the standing charge. Search for a different supplier for a better deal, there's plenty out there.
    There aren't actually. The leading websites like U-switch state that because of the volatility in wholesale prices, no-one is prepared to offer any deals at the moment.