+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tommy Doyle

Re: Tommy Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He's a good player, no doubt that, and he'll almost certainly get better with time and experience. I just think some of the plaudits he's been getting since his arrival here have been over the top. He's had a couple of really good games, some decent games and a few where you wouldn't know he was supposed to be anything special by any stretch of the imagination.

There was a suggestion earlier in this thread that Doyle would walk into any side in the division. On yesterday's showing, he wouldn't get into the Preston team.
    I was paying attention. He had a poor game. It was his worst in a city shirt......by a distance. But he is young, and he has still been an excellent signing. i understand he has captained England at all levels - he must have something. And he is the kind of player, I doubt we would have been successful in signing under previous managers. Just another part of Morison's remarkable job.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    I was paying attention. He had a poor game. It was his worst in a city shirt......by a distance. But he is young, and he has still been an excellent signing. i understand he has captained England at all levels - he must have something. And he is the kind of player, I doubt we would have been successful in signing under previous managers. Just another part of Morison's remarkable job.
    That's the thing with playing kids. They'll have bad games. As long as we don't dwell on those, focus on the positives when they do play well, hopefully they'll grow. Analysing their performances game by game is a totally futile exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    And he is the kind of player, I doubt we would have been successful in signing under previous managers. Just another part of Morison's remarkable job.
    This is a curious idea that I've seen mentioned elsewhere (including in the local press) and I don't understand it.

Neil Warnock was able to sign Marko Grujic on loan from Liverpool. Neil Harris was able to sign Dion Sanderson from Wolves, Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo from Liverpool and Jordi Osei-Tutu from Arsenal. Mick McCarthy was able to sign Ryan Giles from Wolves. So what's the difference?

This is a curious idea that I've seen mentioned elsewhere (including in the local press) and I don't understand it.

Neil Warnock was able to sign Marko Grujic on loan from Liverpool. Neil Harris was able to sign Dion Sanderson from Wolves, Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo from Liverpool and Jordi Osei-Tutu from Arsenal. Mick McCarthy was able to sign Ryan Giles from Wolves. So what's the difference?
    Yep, in fairness to Neil Harris, he did well in signing those. He was also at the helm when Morison was brought in. No doubt the Millwall connection played a role. He was far less of a dinosaur than Warnock or Mick. I have it on impeccable authority that Warnock tried to sign Eddie Nketiah in Summer 2019. But was blown out of the water by the professionalism of the Leeds case that was made to Arsenal. My guess is that Mick called in a favour at Wolves to sign, Giles. The professionalism of our case making has gone up considerably under Morison and his backroom team. Doyle and Drameh would have been amongst the most sought after Premier loan players in January. And we got them. Give credit where it is due.

I think it's significant that he made the signings in January. And to a team going nowhere.

Yes all decent signings, osei tutu didn’t work out but the others were good or better

Think we got lucky with the Wilson signing, Liverpool we’re looking to sell him for a sizeable fee, and when that didn’t pan out it was very late in the window and most clubs had already done all their business