+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ukraine ask for WC play-off postponement

Ukraine ask for WC play-off postponement

Ukraine have asked for their WC play-off v Scotland to be postponed.

Hardly a surprise.

I presume Wales will plough on v Austria and take it from there.

Re: Ukraine ask for WC play-off postponement

I’m flying home for both games & have purchased tickets for each, selfishly I hope it’s not delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Ukraine have asked for their WC play-off v Scotland to be postponed.

Hardly a surprise.

I presume Wales will plough on v Austria and take it from there.
    Was always going to happen. The alternative is to exclude Ukraine for not fulfilling the fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Was always going to happen. The alternative is to exclude Ukraine for not fulfilling the fixture.
    Whilst thinking it is only fair for the Ukraine not to attend the Scotland game I have 2 questions:

1. Why should this affect Wales v Austria

2. If the Ukraine paralympic team can turn up in China in these circumstances, why can't the football team play?

I don't want this to sound harsh but it is an argument isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Whilst thinking it is only fair for the Ukraine not to attend the Scotland game I have 2 questions:

1. Why should this affect Wales v Austria

2. If the Ukraine paralympic team can turn up in China in these circumstances, why can't the football team play?

I don't want this to sound harsh but it is an argument isn't it?
    I think it's possible to have sympathy with Ukrainians but also be realistic that without a fairly swift ending to the conflict that this could otherwise be postponed for months which is difficult to see happening.

A Ukrainian lad played for Everton last night, I don't know how many overseas players they would have available to at least be competitive.

They should give them a bye to the finals and hope they can sort the situation out by then.
    Scotland should play Poland the same time as the other fixtures. Put the three winners into a draw, one bye to a play-off final away to the winners of another play off between the other two sides.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    They should give them a bye to the finals and hope they can sort the situation out by then.
    Scotland should play Poland the same time as the other fixtures. Put the three winners into a draw, one bye to a play-off final away to the winners of another play off between the other two sides.
    Good idea. Although considering its a fifa decisions I see 3 drawbacks ,
    it's sensible
    it's empathetic.
    3 The Ukrainians aren't in a position to bribe fifa officials.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Let's beat Austria and Scotland and give Ukraine our place.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I think it's possible to have sympathy with Ukrainians but also be realistic that without a fairly swift ending to the conflict that this could otherwise be postponed for months which is difficult to see happening.

A Ukrainian lad played for Everton last night, I don't know how many overseas players they would have available to at least be competitive.
    I think I read last week that 75% of their team play domestically.

Unfortunately, even if there was a delay of a few months, there's a possibility that a lot of their players could be killed defending their country.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    In their last squad 15 of the 23 were based in Ukraine. They wouldn't be competitive.