+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Frank O'Farrell RIP

Frank O'Farrell RIP

I met Frank when he did a series of talks in the valleys while our manager. Seemed a terribly nice chap. RIP Frank. https://www.theguardian.com/football...r-dies-aged-94

Re: Frank O'Farrell RIP

Ah...didn't know he had passed away....a good age...and a real gentleman. RIP.

Barely feels like he was our manager now. Did a very good job with Leicester and I think he didn’t do badly at Manchester United when you consider what happened to them after he left.

RIP

TOBW - Frank O'Farrell replaced Jimmy Scoular and was with us for less than a season although he kept us up - wasn't that the season when Tony Villars goal kept us up and sent Palace down? Jimmy Andrews was his coach and was appointed manager after Frank O'Farrell left although in Andrew's first season (74/75) we were relegated to the 3rd division before the 'Tony Evans Walks on Water' season (75/76) when we finished 2nd behind Hereford.

Who takes over now as the City’s oldest living ex manager? Frank had been the oldest for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Who takes over now as the City’s oldest living ex manager? Frank had been the oldest for a while.
    Durban i would have thought.

I never realised he was the manager of Leicester during our near miss season.

RIP Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bill_Irwin_Fan View Post
    TOBW - Frank O'Farrell replaced Jimmy Scoular and was with us for less than a season although he kept us up - wasn't that the season when Tony Villars goal kept us up and sent Palace down? Jimmy Andrews was his coach and was appointed manager after Frank O'Farrell left although in Andrew's first season (74/75) we were relegated to the 3rd division before the 'Tony Evans Walks on Water' season (75/76) when we finished 2nd behind Hereford.
    Yes it was. Frank O’Farrell left us with five matches of the season left and the win (against Champions Middlesbrough) and three draws Jimmy Andrews managed in that time just about kept us for one more season. There were two games under Frank O’Farrell that I remember now, the rest are a bit of a blur. The first was the 2-1 win at promotion chasing Orient on a very cold day in December 73 when lots of games were called off, simply because it was our first away league win in over two years and the second was just after Christmas when we thrashed the FA Cup holders Sunderland 4-1 with John Farmington scoring a hat trick in what was, by far, his best game for City.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes it was. Frank O’Farrell left us with five matches of the season left and the win (against Champions Middlesbrough) and three draws Jimmy Andrews managed in that time just about kept us for one more season. There were two games under Frank O’Farrell that I remember now, the rest are a bit of a blur. The first was the 2-1 win at promotion chasing Orient on a very cold day in December 73 when lots of games were called off, simply because it was our first away league win in over two years and the second was just after Christmas when we thrashed the FA Cup holders Sunderland 4-1 with John Farmington scoring a hat trick in what was, by far, his best game for City.
    Bob, I think you, or the spell checker, will find it was Farrington.

I remember finding it difficult to accept that Frank O'Farrell left us after such a short period of time.

RIP Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    Bob, I think you, or the spell checker, will find it was Farrington.

I remember finding it difficult to accept that Frank O'Farrell left us after such a short period of time.

RIP Frank.
    There's a lot of things my over enthusiastic spell checker messes up, but I think that one's probably down to me. Farrington used to be into pigeon racing - I wonder if there's a single modern day pro footballer who keeps racing pigeons?

Strange that the club hasn't acknowledged Frank's passing. When it wasn't mentioned on Saturday, I thought maybe they would do something at today's game (v Stoke), but instead we applauded two years since the death of Peter Whittingham. Nothing wrong with that, but no mention of the death of an ex-manager does seem a little strange. Surely the club must be aware of it?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I wonder if there's a single modern day pro footballer who keeps racing pigeons?
    Feels like something that James Milner would be in to.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Feels like something that James Milner would be in to.
    I seem to recall that Joe Allen keeps chickens. That's the nearest I can think of.