+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-white City fans

Re: Non-white City fans

I am also of mixed race and there has been a vast improvement from when i started watching city in the late sixties. Then you could count on one hand the non whites down there but it has slowly improved over the years. Maybe its because there are more non whites actually playing the game or just because times have changed. I have never really had any racism thrown at me following the city but i am speaking for myself. As i said,it has greatly improved over the years and long may it continue and maybe then we will see people of the Asian minority and other races.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I've been to lots of grounds over the years and wondered why most clubs do not reflect the ethnicity of their surroundings. The only exception I can think of is Arsenal.
    Possibly Spurs

Certainly not Birmingham , Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I am also of mixed race and there has been a vast improvement from when i started watching city in the late sixties. Then you could count on one hand the non whites down there but it has slowly improved over the years. Maybe its because there are more non whites actually playing the game or just because times have changed. I have never really had any racism thrown at me following the city but i am speaking for myself. As i said,it has greatly improved over the years and long may it continue and maybe then we will see people of the Asian minority and other races.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    To be fair most racists are total cowards and saying something to someone like alfie wouldn't be a very wise move

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    White British is 80 percent

It's got 16 percent of its population from a non white background

That's very diverse

In fact unlike cities like Birmingham or Bradford whose ethnic minority populations are dominated by one of two racial groups , Cardiff has a mix of ethnic minority population from across the racial and cultural background . In many schools in Cardiff there are dozens and dozens of different languages being spoken .

That's very diverse . In fact the very definition of it .
    White British average for UK is also 81%

It’s a typical British city with an average level of diversity - no more and no less. Similar to Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield etc

Don’t get me wrong Cardiff has a good level of diversity (especially for Wales - jeez) but nothing like as deep rooted as Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Leicester, Reading, London which have around 60% and you’d class as “very diverse” plus in those cities ethnicity is more spread throughout the city and not generally localised in a few neighbourhoods which bump up the stats

Anyway I’ve just Google “white British” far too much in the last few minutes, I’m going to stop before I get targeted by a load of far right materials across my social media

As someone who has been going 'down the City' for forty years, I would say that the make-up of the crowds attending games has changed. Crowds are older (generally speaking) than they used to be. There are far more women and girls at football than there used to be. And there are more black or Asian fans than there used to be. I agree that the figure for black/Asian fans is not as high as the 16% quoted elsewhere, but it is certainly higher. These things take time.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    This is an important thread.

As someone who comes from a mixed family with both Ugandans and Nigerians in my family, I can only share 'our' experiences. When I used take my son when he was a kid, I was quite consious that often he and my brother in law were two of a minority of black people attending games.

Now my son is in his kid twenties and lives a few doors down from the ground, he goes to games with his mates as I spend most of my time in Uganda and India. He has never experienced any racism at city and attends games regularly.

He plays for a football team in Grangetown which is almost exclusively black or Asian. He often asks his teammates to go along with him but there is still some resistance due to some perceived ideas that they wouldn't be welcome. Also these are working class boys who can't afford tickets. However, they all look out for and support city.

I do think the club could do a better job of engaging with minorities and encouraging them to attend games. My city, my shirt is a wonderful idea and the club scored an on goal with not engaging with that.

Cardiff has growing diversity and on a purely economic basis the club needs to tap into sections of our communities who love football so they feel more welcome at city.

On a positive note the CCFC foundation actually does a tremendous job I'm communities, many black and Asian... But the club needs to do more.
    Good post. And nice to read a first hand account of the situation.

I totally agree our club can and should be much better at engaging with the community. The recent trip to Liverpool really highlighted the difference between the 2 scouse teams and our own. You couldn’t throw a stone in the city centre without hitting a flag, scarf, poster, mural, shop selling club merchandise, etc for the 2 teams. In the area around Anfield I saw huge multi storey artworks for King Kenny, the CL winning team, Ex captains and on the way back I must’ve walked down one of the main routes to Goodison as there was a stretch of road lined with Everton flags.

Now obviously the 2 clubs are much much bigger than our own but the My City My Shirt debacle shows how uncaring our club seems. I have no doubt if the same artist was from Liverpool both the clubs there would be happy to have covered the costs and probably commissioned more art.

Considering how many millions we spend on players and wages it’s sad the club can’t set aside a few hundred thousand to fund or partially fund some engaging community projects.

No allegedly about it

Its ironic how white people tell us Cardiff City doesn't have a problem with racism

How the feck would you know ?
    But aren't you a white person telling us that Cardiff City does have a problem with racism. So how would you know ?

The trust tried

The club wasn't really interested

CCFC has never been any good at this sort of thing

It's not a community club really
    Hasn’t the club won football community awards in the past ? If so, someone must think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Hasn’t the club won football community awards in the past ? If so, someone must think it is.
    Probably awarded by another white person who wouldn’t have the first clue about racism.

You only have to look at the clubs response to the My City mural. Tone deaf.

But aren't you a white person telling us that Cardiff City does have a problem with racism. So how would you know ?
    I usually support your never ending support of Cardiff City

Bit when it comes to community initiatives Cardiff City is stuck in the old fourth division I am afraid .

That was regarding dealing with the naughty boys I believe

I usually support your never ending support of Cardiff City

Bit when it comes to community initiatives Cardiff City is stuck in the old fourth division I am afraid .
    I am afraid your wrong on this one sludge . we are very active within communities throughout south wales over the last few years

https://www.cardiffcityfcfoundation.org.uk/news

Smile Re: Non-white City fans

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    I am afraid your wrong on this one sludge . we are very active within communities throughout south wales over the last few years

Leathered Again

Oh come on, anything in recent ( lets say last 20 years ) doesn't count

No allegedly about it
    Have you any proof of this alleged meeting ? ? ?

My daughter is genetically diverse, so a person of interest regarding this topic. However, we've never actually racially profiled our surroundings when we go out, as it just seems like an odd thing to do. Is it the media who are putting these ideas into peoples heads? I've had friends of from all backgrounds since school days, and never once felt the need to categorise anybody as being this or that. It's what you are as a person that matters.

It's really tricky to be sure when someone posts an anecdote of some discussion they had with some random people whether it was factual or not I agree!

That's called blowing your own trumpet

We are doing a great job !

Who says ?

We do !

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Leathered Again
    I think you need to stick to ice hockey or whatever it is

I was a member of the Trust community group that organised a community event with CCFC

At that meeting I spoke to a group of lads from the Hindu community centre at the temple in Grangetown and Butetown Community Centre who spoke of their experiences supporting Cardiff City

At that meeting Wayne Nash when asked what job opportunities were available for local communities said well they could help out with match day burgers ?

That all happened , whether or not you believe it happened is irrelevant really . I think you are as much part of the problem although I will stop short of judging you as a racist .

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    My daughter is genetically diverse, so a person of interest regarding this topic. However, we've never actually racially profiled our surroundings when we go out, as it just seems like an odd thing to do. Is it the media who are putting these ideas into peoples heads? I've had friends of from all backgrounds since school days, and never once felt the need to categorise anybody as being this or that. It's what you are as a person that matters.
    I totally agree but that's different to a person not feeling welcome at a football club whether that's us or someone else

Perhaps non white people are simply not attracted to this sport and its culture .

There are many great black players in the game , you'd would think that would bring more non white fans into the grounds ,.

Perhaps we have to accept that in the UK it is a white male fan event , sadly non white fans dont feel comfortable with the culture and probably feel more at ease at home , or cant afford to go ?.

I can find out the date of the Trust CCFC joint community meeting if you want . It will take a while as I am no longer a member . But it will be in the minutes .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Perhaps non white people are simply not attracted to this sport and its culture .

There are many great black players in the game , you'd would think that would bring more non white fans into the grounds ,.

Perhaps we have to accept that in the UK it is a white male fan event , sadly non white fans dont feel comfortable with the culture and probably feel more at ease at home , or cant afford to go ?.
    Today's VoxPop on GB News. Now it's 17.30 and over to Nigel Farage