+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Smithies stat

Smithies stat

According to the commentator tonight, Smithies has the second worst shot-to-save ratio in the division.

Phillips is also none too clever.

Interesting, I’m sure you’ll agree.

He’s probably had more shots to deal with, but that would surely help his stats rather than hinder them?

Re: Smithies stat

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    According to the commentator tonight, Smithies has the second worst shot-to-save ratio in the division.

He’s probably had more shots to deal with, but that would surely help his stats rather than hinder them?
    I think from memory we don't actually concede that high s number of shots, at least we didn't even when we were crap, but teams only need a few chances to score against us. so likely we give up big chances.

Too many variables. There’s a better stat out there like vs/xg

His shots could be more one on ones where others are dealing with shots that are adequately closed down.

How many times have we thought Smithies has cost us the game? Very few and I think that is more telling.

I think Smithies has done well and will be very sad to see him go if he leaves at the end of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post

David Marshall made more saves than any other keeper in the PL for us, and was something like 3rd or 4th for shots saved per game. We still conceded a shedload.

Shots saved per shots faced would give a better answer for anyone wanting to work it out, yet xG might argue differently if you're allowing the opposition to keep hitting shots from long range and they're easy for the goalkeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Too many variables. There’s a better stat out there like vs/xg

His shots could be more one on ones where others are dealing with shots that are adequately closed down.

How many times have we thought Smithies has cost us the game? Very few and I think that is more telling.

I think Smithies has done well and will be very sad to see him go if he leaves at the end of his contract.
    he made a couple of good saves in this match, but could have done better for the goal.
    I still rate him

I've just watched the highlights from last night. Smithies has to do a lot better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I've just watched the highlights from last night. Smithies has to do a lot better than that.
    I thought he had a few ropey moments last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Shots saved per shots faced would give a better answer for anyone wanting to work it out,yet xG might argue differently if you're allowing the opposition to keep hitting shots from long range and they're easy for the goalkeeper.
    This is the stat the commentator was using. Smithies has saved only 60% of the shots faced. Only Simon Sluga formerly of Luton had a worse save percentage. Phillips was only marginally better than Smithies but didn't state the percentage.

I'd like to know what his xG score is. Was he leaking goals because the defence gifting easy chances?

I thought he should have saved last nights goal.

Seems to be poor on shots from outside the box this season.
    Last night was a shocking effort for a keeper of his standard.
    Phillips is no better .

I'm a bit 50/50 about Smithies. Very good stopper on his day, but sometimes could do better. Would not be disappointed if he was let go in summer.

All depends what else is available, Phillips isn’t quite as good but not miles behind.

I wouldn't be too disappointed to go with Phillips and ratcliffe next season and free up some wages to be used elsewhere.

if our defence continues to be more solid then I think Phillips would look better as well

I think Smithies will copy Danny Ward and join his hometown club on a free.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I think Smithies will copy Danny Ward and join his hometown club on a free.
    and Gareth bale

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wouldn't be too disappointed to go with Phillips and ratcliffe next season and free up some wages to be used elsewhere.

if our defence continues to be more solid then I think Phillips would look better as well
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Agreed.
    I am assuming that Smithies will want to go back oop North, which will give Phillips a chance. If he gets a run of games before the season end it will be a sign that Smithies is on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I am assuming that Smithies will want to go back oop North, which will give Phillips a chance. If he gets a run of games before the season end it will be a sign that Smithies is on his way.
    I don't think Morison rates Phillips. Both McCarthy and Harris gave him a chance, but since Morison took over, Phillips' has played in two FA cup ties. That's a sure sign you're very much second in command.

I hope we give Ratcliffe a chance this season. Smithies is too expensive to keep around and I've never been hugely convinced by Phillips

I think he has been in good form, some terrific saves over the last couple of months.

Other night was one to forget though, poor on the goal, flapped at a corner, pushed another couple of tame looking efforts away. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I hope we give Ratcliffe a chance this season. Smithies is too expensive to keep around and I've never been hugely convinced by Phillips
    Yes moving Smithies on does free up money , question the club has to ask itself if he is worth the alleged 25kper week making him the highest player at the club , or look at improving the defences performance in from of him .

The beauty of goalies you can get a good un even as they age , the excellent Allan McGregor at 40 earns £13,000 per week and is still delivering.

There aren't many out of contract keepers out there, compared to some other positions.

Sam Johnson at WBA

Alex McCarthy at Southampton

Not sure what this lot mean in terms of wages /skill :

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spie...=alle&yt0=Show