+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is this the new "Driving" ?

Is this the new "Driving" ?

Drove to the National Archives at Kew today as I wanted to copy hundreds of 1921 census entries for clients, my own family and the village for which I research local history. At £3.15 a household, it was far cheaper to drive to London than sit at home downloading the entries.

I drive a Honda Jazz which has a fuel tank with a capacity of 40 litres. I normally drive at a steady 70 mph on motorways, but with the present steep escalation of fuel prices, I decided to drive there and back at 55 - 60 mph. The round trip of 305 miles (the M4 was closed eastbound near London) used 33 litres of petrol. It took two hours 50 coming home and apart from overtaking two lorries I was in the left lane the whole way. I should also add that I filled the tank when the price was £1.33 a litre.

The pros of driving more slowly: I estimate I saved about £10 by using less fuel. I arrived there and back far, far more relaxed than when driving at 70 mph - there was hardly any overtaking/changing lanes. I was also able to enjoy a beautiful sunset and the drifts of daffs just before Cardiff Gate - and some great music (Atlanta Rhythm Section and Robben Ford.)

The cons - took maybe 30 minutes longer each way.

For me, this is the shape of things to come - the 'New Driving'.

I'm also going to try that trick of turning the engine off when stuck in traffic for whatever reason.

Re: Is this the new "Driving" ?

I've driven rental cars that switch off when you're "idling". Then you just put your foot on the gas and they start right back up. Not fancy cars either.

Not for me.
    I drive approx. 35,000 miles a year and it would do my head in driving like that. I’m happiest driving at a pace that keeps me actively engaged & alert. Around a decade ago I was on 9 points & tried driving as you describe. I found it dangerous as it was so boring I lost concentration. Each to their own but it’s not for me.

By the way what’s the deal with the 21 census. Will Find My Past make it available at cost to the other sites?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Soon you will have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

By the way what’s the deal with the 21 census. Will Find My Past make it available at cost to the other sites?
    It costs £3.50 to see one household entry (assuming you can locate it - which is not a given) on the FMP website. If you have a sub, it costs £3.15. Ancestry haven't got access at present as the 1921 census was an exclusive deal between FMP and the National Archives. Considering the cost involved in transcribing 35,000+ enumerator books (one of which was compiled by my grandfather), I can't see access to the census being part of the annual sub for some time to come. Fair's fair, I suppose. But if you go to the England and Welsh National Archives and a Manchester outlet, you can use either their computers or take your own and download as much as you want for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Soon you will have no choice.
    (Good to chat with tu, btw)
    Actually, that's truer than you think. I'm seriously thinking that there is a time coming quite soon when I should stop driving. Am I the only one on here who checks his route using Google to actually see how to negotiate difficult situations? There's a roundabout at Chiswick I had to use today and I went thru this about four times in real time to make sure I got the lane sequence right. And that magic roundabout at Aylesbury just did my head in. I got thru it but saw at least two near collisions in one visit.

Drove to the National Archives at Kew today as I wanted to copy hundreds of 1921 census entries for clients, my own family and the village for which I research local history. At £3.15 a household, it was far cheaper to drive to London than sit at home downloading the entries.

I drive a Honda Jazz which has a fuel tank with a capacity of 40 litres. I normally drive at a steady 70 mph on motorways, but with the present steep escalation of fuel prices, I decided to drive there and back at 55 - 60 mph. The round trip of 305 miles (the M4 was closed eastbound near London) used 33 litres of petrol. It took two hours 50 coming home and apart from overtaking two lorries I was in the left lane the whole way. I should also add that I filled the tank when the price was £1.33 a litre.

The pros of driving more slowly: I estimate I saved about £10 by using less fuel. I arrived there and back far, far more relaxed than when driving at 70 mph - there was hardly any overtaking/changing lanes. I was also able to enjoy a beautiful sunset and the drifts of daffs just before Cardiff Gate - and some great music (Atlanta Rhythm Section and Robben Ford.)

The cons - took maybe 30 minutes longer each way.

I'm also going to try that trick of turning the engine off when stuck in traffic for whatever reason.
    That's how people drove during the fuel crisis about 20 years ago. Yes fuel is expensive but just a few do something to improve their own driving to make it go further

Actually, that's truer than you think. I'm seriously thinking that there is a time coming quite soon when I should stop driving. Am I the only one on here who checks his route using Google to actually see how to negotiate difficult situations? There's a roundabout at Chiswick I had to use today and I went thru this about four times in real time to make sure I got the lane sequence right. And that magic roundabout at Aylesbury just did my head in. I got thru it but saw at least two near collisions in one visit.
    (Nice to see you too )
    I admire your effort to save the planet, but don't forget the same people who are telling us to modify our behaviour are still crisscrossing the globe in their private jets, while owning multiple large mansions on huge private estates. I also read 100 hundred companies are responsible for 71% of global emissions.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...climate-change

I presume you went over Kew Bridge? When driving in London, just do what you like, nobody takes it personally

I've bought a horse and trap

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I presume you went over Kew Bridge? When driving in London, just do what you like, nobody takes it personally
    Yeah, over the Bridge.
    One time I went there in the summer and if you remember there's a piece of green on either side of the road just after the bridge and there, right beside the A205 with no netting or fencing a full-on game of cricket was being played.
    Do you know the rat run going back to the M4 just after you turn right after the bridge. It cuts the corner. Anyway, I checked this on Google and it had been blocked off because of work connected with Brentford's new ground. And sure enough, today it was sort of coned off - and I didn't take a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Not for me.
    I drive approx. 35,000 miles a year and it would do my head in driving like that. I’m happiest driving at a pace that keeps me actively engaged & alert. Around a decade ago I was on 9 points & tried driving as you describe. I found it dangerous as it was so boring I lost concentration. Each to their own but it’s not for me.

I travel up to N.York’s frequently, I usually do about 75 mph on average on the motorways but the last time I dropped down to about 67 and still saved on fuel and remained alert etc as you still need to change lanes.

Driving at 56/60 is a little too slow for me but would advocate that speed around the metroplex as the fuel savings are around 15%.