+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Lampard

Frank Lampard

Like hiring OGS but with a smaller squad of lesser quality players. What were they thinking?

Re: Frank Lampard

Wonder if he broke his other hand today, but this time out of frustration and desperation.

Can't get my head around top clubs who employ famous ex-players in the belief that they are destined to become great managers. Even Chelsea fell into that trap prior to getting Tuchel.

Yes Pep had a decent playing career but Klopp, Tuchel, Wenger, Ferguson etc etc er no.

There will always be exceptions to the rule but not many players follow up a stellar playing career by achieving top honours as a coach/manager.

He's starting to talk nonsense as well. I wonder if he'll be given big funds to rebuild in the pre season. They'll stay up, Frank will get them hovering around mid Table next season, sacked after being humiliated by Brentford, then onto his next job, probably high end championship.

If he’d been at Goodison a bit longer he would have been sacked by now. Half decent player,no good as a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's starting to talk nonsense as well. I wonder if he'll be given big funds to rebuild in the pre season. They'll stay up, Frank will get them hovering around mid Table next season, sacked after being humiliated by Brentford, then onto his next job, probably high end championship.
    I don't think they can spend big funds because of FFP,
    Wouldn't be to sure about them staying up either.
    One bad decision after another may finally catch them out.

The stuff he came out with yesterday was ludicrous.

“There is only so much you can keep trying to butter someone up to get confidence,” the manager said. “You’re playing at the cut-throat end of football; this is the FA Cup quarter-finals. If you haven’t got the confidence to play, you can flip it and say: ‘Have you got the bollocks to play?’"

WTF sort of message does that send to the players? "When I told you you were good I was lying"?

They are struggling with FFP at the moment. They wont be spending big.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

“There is only so much you can keep trying to butter someone up to get confidence,” the manager said. “You’re playing at the cut-throat end of football; this is the FA Cup quarter-finals. If you haven’t got the confidence to play, you can flip it and say: ‘Have you got the bollocks to play?’"

WTF sort of message does that send to the players? "When I told you you were good I was lying"?
    That's parks stuff, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    I don't think they can spend big funds because of FFP,
    Wouldn't be to sure about them staying up either.
    One bad decision after another may finally catch them out.
    Ah, ok, that's good news then I hope they do go down, although i think that it'll be the three that are there at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

That's known in the game as inverted double reverse psychology, which is a cutting edge motivational strategy.

Unfortunately for Frank Lampard this job is a little harder than realising that Mason Mount was better than Ikechi Anya

That's parks stuff, isn't it?
    Reminded me of Vinny Jones.

Xavi has turned Barcelona round impressively, so some players can do it. Gerrard looks the business as well. Doesnt look like Frank has it though, which surprised me as i thought he'd be good considering he's Mensa. Seems like stupid logic now.

Does anyone else follow 'Agent Lamps and 'Agent Rafa' on YouTube?

This guy's take offs of Lampard and Rafa never fail to get me smiling :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjnPhx1tYjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ35KPcWIAY

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Does anyone else follow 'Agent Lamps and 'Agent Rafa' on YouTube?

This guy's take offs of Lampard and Rafa never fail to get me smiling :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjnPhx1tYjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ35KPcWIAY
    I'll take your word for it, but generally
    'banter' between premier League teams fans is just the worst.

To be fair to Lampard hes inherited a terrible squad. A back 4 of Coleman Keane Holgate Kenny is going to struggles in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Can't get my head around top clubs who employ famous ex-players in the belief that they are destined to become great managers. Even Chelsea fell into that trap prior to getting Tuchel.

Yes Pep had a decent playing career but Klopp, Tuchel, Wenger, Ferguson etc etc er no.

There will always be exceptions to the rule but not many players follow up a stellar playing career by achieving top honours as a coach/manager.
    In the past most of the great managers had been top players, Shankly, Busby, Clough, Nicholson, Mercer, Kendall, Dalglish, Venables, Ramsey etc. Things have definitely changed with technical advancements, the more studious types who’ve put coaching skills above all else have certainly changed the image of the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

Ferguson played for Rangers and he was the most expensive player in Scotland when he signed for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Ferguson played for Rangers and he was the most expensive player in Scotland when he signed for them.
    Ferguson can be classed as being in the old system of employing ex pros, 36 years ago he joined Manchester United and that after a successful spell at Aberdeen. Started his managerial career in 1974 at East Stirling. He can hardly bracketed with Pep, Klopp, Tuchel etc.

Swap Lampard for Wazza

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ferguson can be classed as being in the old system of employing ex pros, 36 years ago he joined Manchester United and that after a successful spell at Aberdeen. Started his managerial career in 1974 at East Stirling. He can hardly bracketed with Pep, Klopp, Tuchel etc.
    I was commenting on him not having had a decent playing career, and by all accounts that's where he learnt how to handle players, after being poorly treated himself

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'll take your word for it, but generally
    'banter' between premier League teams fans is just the worst.
    It's not 'banter' between premier league teams fans at all. That too, would make me cringe. This is a very funny comedian Darren Farley taking off Lampard and Rafa

Pep, Conte, Ancelotti, Zidane, Mancini, Deschamps.

Xavi and Gerrard both had a decent start to their managerial careers. Viera and Arteta both doing well in the PL.

Plenty of top players still making good managers.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    In the past most of the great managers had been top players, Shankly, Busby, Clough, Nicholson, Mercer, Kendall, Dalglish, Venables, Ramsey etc. Things have definitely changed with technical advancements, the more studious types who’ve put coaching skills above all else have certainly changed the image of the manager.
    In a way you are right. Then, more players who had a distinguished playing career turned their hand to management but I would argue that of the ones you mentioned only Dalglish was an exceptional player. Clough was not a great footballer but he did score a lot of goals before his career ended prematurely through injury.