+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frank Lampard

Re: Frank Lampard

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    In a way you are right. Then, more players who had a distinguished playing career turned their hand to management but I would argue that of the ones you mentioned only Dalglish was an exceptional player. Clough was not a great footballer but he did score a lot of goals before his career ended prematurely through injury.
    I forgot Bobby Robson.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    Pep, Conte, Ancelotti, Zidane, Mancini, Deschamps.

Xavi and Gerrard both had a decent start to their managerial careers. Viera and Arteta both doing well in the PL.

Plenty of top players still making good managers.
    That's not the point. No one is saying that great players can't be great managers. The point is that being a great and very successful player doesn't necessarily make you a good manager.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    That's not the point. No one is saying that great players can't be great managers. The point is that being a great and very successful player doesn't necessarily make you a good manager.
    No one is saying it? It was said in the second reply on the thread??

“Can't get my head around top clubs who employ famous ex-players in the belief that they are destined to become great managers.”

And

“There will always be exceptions to the rule but not many players follow up a stellar playing career by achieving top honours as a coach/manager.”

There are loads of examples in the past and the present and no doubt will be in the future.

Neither of those statements says that a great player can't be a great manager.

There are also plenty of examples of great players that failed as managers.