+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Yma O Hyd

Yma O Hyd

I wasn't at the game unfortunately but I just saw this video of Dafydd Iwan, incredible atmosphere. So good to see the passion behind a Welsh language song from young and old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...rginMediaSport

Re: Yma O Hyd

Passion at the rugby ?

You are having a laugh 😃

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Passion at the rugby ?

You are having a laugh ��
    Rugby?

Passion at the rugby ?

You are having a laugh ��
    Sludgey, the clip is from Wales v Austria last week!

I bet you are currently phoning your mates in the metal world to do a thrash version, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Rugby?
    I was being sarcastic

At the rugby you get a few Tom Jones songs rattled out by pissed up once a year look at me in my daffodil fancy dress .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Sludgey, the clip is from Wales v Austria last week!

I bet you are currently phoning your mates in the metal world to do a thrash version, eh?
    I know that , I was taking the piss

Amazing video and you wouldn't get that passion at the rugby , it's just not in the same league

Football fans, always been far far better than rugby counterparts

Very powerful song with the crowd generating a great atmosphere. Pity about the bloke at 2.00 into the clip who is more preoccupied with his phone than the fervour of the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Football fans, always been far far better than rugby counterparts
    that depends entirely on your definition of better

To be fair , I’ve followed Wales home and away for years and it’s only really since around 2015 that the atmosphere at Welsh football games has been great.

Welsh rugby on the other hand was always superb until around the redevelopment of the National Stadium (to the Millennium)

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Very powerful song with the crowd generating a great atmosphere. Pity about the bloke at 2.00 into the clip who is more preoccupied with his phone than the fervour of the occasion.
    Yes that grated a bit but it was great to see so many singing with such passion. It’s not something Dafydd Iwan will ever forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Give him the benefit of the doubt, he was probably googling the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that depends entirely on your definition of better
    We really have got to get out of this siege mentality, small country syndrome.
    As a born and bred Cardiff boy, i am so proud of all our national sporting teams.
    Ok, so your PE teacher may have forced the oval ball game on you, and the media maybe rugby biased, and other countries may stereotype us as a rugby nation, but we really should be moving away from all that claptrap now.We continually punch above our weight in rugby and football, so lets be proud of that.
    In Italy, France, England, Ireland and Scotland both sports thrive, with no small minded animosity .

I wonder now if we'll get more than a 30 second clip of it at the CCS before City games before the 10 second clip of that Frank Hennessy noise....

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    To be fair , I’ve followed Wales home and away for years and it’s only really since around 2015 that the atmosphere at Welsh football games has been great.

Welsh rugby on the other hand was always superb until around the redevelopment of the National Stadium (to the Millennium)
    Going to have to disagree with that

If Wales are not doing very well in the rugby most of the fans just get pissed

There is very little singing going on , even when Wales are on top

No real passion at all , unlike that video of the Wales Austria game

It's incredibly emotional but sadly it won't get the coverage that anything rugby related gets

A day after the win against Austria the back page of the Western Mail was covered with a story about the game v France the Saturday before

Its a complete and utter joke . There are football fans out there who in the same way the Welsh rugby fans say as long as we beat the English as long as ccfc , swans win the rugby can piss off and we can call that childish but I can understand it .

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    I wonder now if we'll get more than a 30 second clip of it at the CCS before City games before the 10 second clip of that Frank Hennessy noise....
    Frank Hennesey is a rugby boy and has no interest in CCFC

Which is fine because I have never met anyone who has any interest in him.

It was cringeworthy that he and daffyd Ellis Thomas........who when interviewed said he was a man United fan ffs .....were wheeled out when we got to the cup final v pompey

Stick to your rugby 🏉

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    We really have got to get out of this siege mentality, small country syndrome.
    As a born and bred Cardiff boy, i am so proud of all our national sporting teams.
    Ok, so your PE teacher may have forced the oval ball game on you, and the media maybe rugby biased, and other countries may stereotype us as a rugby nation, but we really should be moving away from all that claptrap now.We continually punch above our weight in rugby and football, so lets be proud of that.
    In Italy, France, England, Ireland and Scotland both sports thrive, with no small minded animosity .
    You have just given some of the reasons why a lot of South Wales football fans really can't be doing with rugby and then say but never mind......

It's not as simple as that I am afraid

I quite like the Hennessy clip. Yes, it's old school and stereotypical, but he's as much a part of Cardiff - more, arguably - as Dafydd Iwan, and I say that as a proud Welsh speaker who'd love nothing more than to see more people use the language. Yma o Hyd is a tub-thumping anthem that I've shouted (my voice is awful) more times than I care to remember, but the club and city represent Welsh speakers and non-Welsh speakers alike. To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised the song seems to have been adopted so readily by non-Welsh speakers.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm starting to get a bit concerned that Yma o Hyd is becoming too mainstream and far too overplayed. It's an awful comparison, but it feels like our version of Sweet Caroline, which used to be a nice song, but is now played everywhere, from numerous betting adverts to every England game.

The other huge factor being that you always get much better atmosphere at night games.

I would far rather have the full version of Yma o Hyd played before the City games than the Hennessy clip. But I understand where you're coming from.

You have just given some of the reasons why a lot of South Wales football fans really can't be doing with rugby and then say but never mind......

It's not as simple as that I am afraid
    Not if your small minded it’s not.

I would far rather have the full version of Yma o Hyd played before the City games than the Hennessy clip. But I understand where you're coming from.

I know that , I was taking the piss

Amazing video and you wouldn't get that passion at the rugby , it's just not in the same league
    Wales seems to have replaced rugby as the main sport of the nation as far as those attending matches of the respective national teams go. Rugby these days, and has been for a long time, is made up of mainly middle class people and those who can afford the outrageous prices the RFU charges for tickets to watch an international game

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    I quite like the Hennessy clip. Yes, it's old school and stereotypical, but he's as much a part of Cardiff - more, arguably - as Dafydd Iwan, and I say that as a proud Welsh speaker who'd love nothing more than to see more people use the language. Yma o Hyd is a tub-thumping anthem that I've shouted (my voice is awful) more times than I care to remember, but the club and city represent Welsh speakers and non-Welsh speakers alike. To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised the song seems to have been adopted so readily by non-Welsh speakers.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm starting to get a bit concerned that Yma o Hyd is becoming too mainstream and far too overplayed. It's an awful comparison, but it feels like our version of Sweet Caroline, which used to be a nice song, but is now played everywhere, from numerous betting adverts to every England game.
    Why?
    Could it be that you feel that there is some sort of bad feeling between non-speakers and speakers of the language.
    Could it be that there is some sort of snobbery surrounding the Welsh speaking migrants sweeping through Pontcanna and Canton which fuels this feeling? Shirley not.

The fact that there are people in Wales that do not speak Welsh is no fault of theirs, but the past education system here.

Non-Welsh speaking people have been singing Mae hen wlad fy nhadau for years so why would they not join their Welsh speaking compatriots in such a heart-warming anthem?

Cymru am byth

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Not if your small minded it’s not.
    Well I think you are being disingenuous to the very people you are talking about who feel they have every right to cock their nose up at Rugby as that's exactly what they have been subject to

You have already yourself listed bullying sports teachers not allowing youngsters to play football and the media overkill

Are you saying those points you raised are not valid ?

Or they are but because YOU don't let it bother you then all those people with a disdain for Welsh rugby have to like it or lump it ?

As far as I am concerned if one of city or Swansea supporting mates say I fecking can't stand rugby I don't agree 100 percent but I can see why they give it the elbow .