+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Yma O Hyd

Re: Yma O Hyd

[QUOTE=The Lone Gunman;5288193]If the translation I've read is accurate, one section of the song goes as follows:

"Let the tears of the faint-hearted flow and the servile lick the floor."

So who does Dafydd Iwan regard as the faint-hearted and the servile?

Not so thinly veiled dig at DML if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Is this a safe place for me to say that it's possible to be pro-independent but hate tub-thumping nationalism?
    I don't support independence but you are spot on. The two aren't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I don't support independence but you are spot on. The two aren't the same.
    You should know by now it's lines in the sand and full on war from one side or the other on ccmb.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You haven't always got to be a smart arse you know.
    he started it!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    he started it!
    You're better than this Delm. Don't let them drag you down.

You're better than this Delm
    I think we both know I'm not

I think Welsh is great

That single mum from Barry that won miss world ?

She spoke Welsh

Bloody marvellous

I think we both know I'm not
    It just sounded like a good response

Tomorrow on The Big Debate

Men of Harlech

Does misappropriated propaganda for White Colonial misadventure have a place in 21st Century Wales?

Zombie Nation

Is this a dot-joining subliminal warning of the forthcoming Great Reset that you ignore at your peril?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

Zombie Nation

Is this a dot-joining subliminal warning of the forthcoming Great Reset that you ignore at your peril?
    Today on The Big Debate:

Why do people refer to the track ‘Kernkraft 400’ as being Zombie Nation when that is the name of the artist? And should ‘Hey Jude’ be renamed Beatles for the sake of consistency?

Shall we start singing Delilah instead? Nothing wrong with that is there 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Today on The Big Debate:

Why do people refer to the track ‘Kernkraft 400’ as being Zombie Nation when that is the name of the artist? And should ‘Hey Jude’ be renamed Beatles for the sake of consistency?
    See, you can do this tune stuff when you put your mind to it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Shall we start singing Delilah instead? Nothing wrong with that is there 🙄
    Primal Concrete Sledge

Pantera

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Today on The Big Debate:

Does hey jude repeatedly say beatles throughout the song?

Men of Harlech

Does misappropriated propaganda for White Colonial misadventure have a place in 21st Century Wales?

Zombie Nation

This Is Wales

Is this reductionism and is the use of Anglicised place names an act of subconscious fealty?

I'll sing the national anthem, but for me all this poetry, hymn-like singing, tears, dreary folk tales of Welsh of old, myths, anti-English sentiments, it's all a bit dull and depressing. Much prefer proper 'footy' singing..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'll sing the national anthem, but for me all this poetry, hymn-like singing, tears, dreary folk tales of Welsh of old, myths, anti-English sentiments, it's all a bit dull and depressing. Much prefer proper 'footy' singing..
    I get your point but give me a spirited full house singalong to Yma o Hyd every day of the week over Dun Dun Dun Dun *insert player name*

I get your point but give me a spirited full house singalong to Yma o Hyd every day of the week over Dun Dun Dun Dun *insert player name*
    *insert player name*

Hope they have a Welsh grandparent!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'd have said the same, but after listening to the atmosphere while it's sang you have to admit it works.

Like dunking toast in your tea. You wouldn't believe it before it happened.

I'd have said the same, but after listening to the atmosphere while it's sang you have to admit it works.

Like dunking toast in your tea. You wouldn't believe it before it happened.
    That it works is the magic bit. Welsh speakers or not, people travelling from the furthest reaches of the nation and sworn rivals all excited to be in the Canton Stand or elsewhere belting out songs unique to the Welsh football team or they wouldn't dream of singing in any other ground or environment. Players "crocked" for months putting in stellar performances. I think anyone who was there last week who didn't love it has lost a bit of their soul.

Saying that...winning helps!

That it works is the magic bit. Welsh speakers or not, people travelling from the furthest reaches of the nation and sworn rivals all excited to be in the Canton Stand or elsewhere belting out songs unique to the Welsh football team or they wouldn't dream of singing in any other ground or environment. Players "crocked" for months putting in stellar performances. I think anyone who was there last week who didn't love it has lost a bit of their soul.

Last bit nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    This Is Wales

Is this reductionism and is the use of Anglicised place names an act of subconscious fealty?
    Very Good!

Super Joniesta

Does a journeyman currently plying his trade in League 2 have similar ball distribution and retention skills to a Catalan midfield general at the height of his powers or is this further evidence of national hyperbole?

Very Good!

Super Joniesta

Does a journeyman currently plying his trade in League 2 have similar ball distribution and retention skills to a Catalan midfield general at the height of his powers or is this further evidence of national hyperbole?
    Our little lot changed the lyric to ‘always’ rather than ‘never’ during his cameo the other evening. The song has to be an ironic pisstake.

You only have to read the comments on YouTube to appreciate the impact it had on people and most of them were not in attendance. Anyone who was there and didn't love it is dead from the neck up.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Our little lot changed the lyric to ‘always’ rather than ‘never’ during his cameo the other evening. The song has to be an ironic pisstake.
    In fairness most teams have cult players like Jonny. I'm sure few Ulstermen really believe that international back lines cower in fear of Will Grigg's combustibility. He did us proud in Bordeaux against Slovakia and scored a worldie in Sofia from memory.