+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Yma O Hyd

Re: Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It has been done.

True story. I used to conduct a male voice choir in the valleys and I got them to learn Yma O Hyd. Other male voice choirs were singing it successfully with little fuss. Unfortunately, the choir I was with had quite a strong older right wing element. One refused to sing about Maggie as she was his hero. One English guy refused to sing it as he (wrongly) believed it was an anti-English song. A couple of others thought (wrongly) that it is a pro-independence song and thought we shouldn't sing it.

On the flip side, another choir I am currently with sing it regularly and have changed Maggie to Boris.
    Yeah, I thought it probably had! Thanks, Eric.

It has been done.

True story. I used to conduct a male voice choir in the valleys and I got them to learn Yma O Hyd. Other male voice choirs were singing it successfully with little fuss. Unfortunately, the choir I was with had quite a strong older right wing element. One refused to sing about Maggie as she was his hero. One English guy refused to sing it as he (wrongly) believed it was an anti-English song. A couple of others thought (wrongly) that it is a pro-independence song and thought we shouldn't sing it.

On the flip side, another choir I am currently with sing it regularly and have changed Maggie to Boris.
    Sorry, just read that again. Is the singer (and the song) not linked heavily with pro-independence then? Genuine question. Some stuff I was reading the other day suggested otherwise.

A couple of others thought (wrongly) that it is a pro-independence song and thought we shouldn't sing it.
    Considering it was penned by a former president of Plaid Cymru who has a conviction for defacing English language road signs, I assumed it was a pro-independence song of some sort. But to be honest it's difficult to work out what the lyrics are really supposed to mean. Maybe something gets lost in translation, but a fair percentage of it reads like gibberish to me.

It has been done.

You should have found another choir.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    You should have found another choir.
    I did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Considering it was penned by a former president of Plaid Cymru who has a conviction for defacing English language road signs, I assumed it was a pro-independence song of some sort. But to be honest it's difficult to work out what the lyrics are really supposed to mean. Maybe something gets lost in translation, but a fair percentage of it reads like gibberish to me.
    And that's the point. It's not difficult to work out what the lyrics mean.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Y

Shame you couldn’t hang on for the Swansea game. Safe trip
    Thank You SP.

A stirring song, no doubt but it does seem like it was written by a 321 script writer.

And that's the point. It's not difficult to work out what the lyrics mean.
    Well it's got me. I'm not being facetious, I genuinely don't know what the lyrics are supposed to mean.

Well it's got me. I'm not being facetious, I genuinely don't know what the lyrics are supposed to mean.
    Despite the best endeavours of others like Thatcher, the country established by Macsen, the Welsh Roman Emperor 1600 years ago is still here. Give or take a bit of poetic licence.

If only songs were this simple, like in the old days

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Despite the best endeavours of others like Thatcher, the country established by Macsen, the Welsh Roman Emperor 1600 years ago is still here. Give or take a bit of poetic licence.
    And some inclement weather, apparently.

And some inclement weather, apparently.
    Doh, it wouldn't be Wales otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Sorry, just read that again. Is the singer (and the song) not linked heavily with pro-independence then? Genuine question. Some stuff I was reading the other day suggested otherwise.
    This was talked about in another thread where I said I liked the song but suggested the FAW may not want to get too close on what is quite a partisan song politically in a climate in Wales that may get more political in coming years with the independence debate.

My interpretation is that it's very much about the Welsh language but the singer is very much about the Welsh language and independence so I still think the FAW should not get overly cosy.

If the translation I've read is accurate, one section of the song goes as follows:

"Let the tears of the faint-hearted flow and the servile lick the floor."

So who does Dafydd Iwan regard as the faint-hearted and the servile?

That's followed with:

"Despite the blackness around us, we are ready for the breaking of the dawn!"

What is the blackness around us? And what does the line about the breaking of the dawn signify?

Another line says:

"Despite every Dic Siôn Dafydd...."

What does the song's author mean by that?

Another line says:

"Despite every Dic Siôn Dafydd...."

they are a character in a poem of the Welsh satirical poet Jac Glan-y-gors

We skipped the light fandango
    Turned cartwheels 'cross the floor
    I was feeling kinda seasick
    The crowd called out for more
    The room was humming harder
    As the ceiling flew away
    When we called out for another drink
    The waiter brought a tray
    And so it was that later
    As the miller told his tale
    That her face, at first just ghostly
    Turned a whiter shade of pale
    She said "there is no reason"
    And the truth is plain to see
    But I wandered through my playing cards
    Would not let her be
    One of sixteen vestal virgins
    Who were leaving for the coast
    And although my eyes were open
    They might have just as well've been closed
    And so it was that later
    As the miller told his tale
    That her face, at first just ghostly
    Turned a whiter shade of pale
    And so it was that later

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    This was talked about in another thread where I said I liked the song but suggested the FAW may not want to get too close on what is quite a partisan song politically in a climate in Wales that may get more political in coming years with the independence debate.

My interpretation is that it's very much about the Welsh language but the singer is very much about the Welsh language and independence so I still think the FAW should not get overly cosy.
    Thanks. I missed the other thread. I can see where you are coming from with this. It is what prompted my question really.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Can't say I recall A Whiter Shade of Pale being sung at Welsh internationals, but I've missed a fair few in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    they are a character in a poem of the Welsh satirical poet Jac Glan-y-gors
    I'm aware of that. But who is the author of Yma O Hyd referring to? Who are the 'Dic Sion Dafydds' as far as he and those who champion this song concerned? What is the context?

Can't say I recall A Whiter Shade of Pale being sung at Welsh internationals, but I've missed a fair few in recent years.
    I thought you were struggling with the concept of lyrical interpretation not location. My mistake.

Jesus Christ, overthinking this a bit aren't we some of you? 30000 Welsh people sing a song together, build up a brilliant atmosphere and have a great time, let's find some negatives

A whiter shade of Bale would sound quite stirring coming from the Canton end in full voice.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Jesus Christ, overthinking this a bit aren't we some of you? 30000 Welsh people sing a song together, build up a brilliant atmosphere and have a great time, let's find some negatives
    Don't bring Jesus into it. He has enough going on with his first Christmas world cup coming up

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Don't bring Jesus into it. He has enough going on with his first Christmas world cup coming up
    Truthpaste in 3.2.1