+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stoke City debt

Stoke City debt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60847179

How can such an amount be wiped , I thought you could only convert so much per season ?

Re: Stoke City debt

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60847179

How can such an amount be wiped , I thought you could only convert so much per season ?
    How can £120m of shareholder loans be written off?

160m raised from the misery of others. Chicken feed to Bet 365.

A bookie owns an English Football League team? HOW THE **** is that legal?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's in Ray Winstone’s name.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Why would it be illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Why would it be illegal?
    Conflict of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Conflict of interest?
    In what respect?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    How can £120m of shareholder loans be written off?
    A quick Google reveals that a number of clubs have had larger sums converted from debt to equity in recent years (Fulham = £424 million, Man City = £304 million, Chelsea = £340 million), so it's obviously allowed.

Of course, at Cardiff City the fans have been told their owner can't convert all of his debt to equity due to one set of rules or another. If memory serves, Malaysian financial rules were given as the reason at one stage.

In what respect?
    Well if players/coaches etc can’t place bets it seems strange that a betting company can actually own a club!

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Well if players/coaches etc can’t place bets it seems strange that a betting company can actually own a club!
    It obviously doesn't contravene any rules. After all, it's not as if Bet365's ownership of Stoke is some closely-guarded secret.

Do you also think it's strange that betting companies are allowed to sponsor clubs, as many do?

Honestly football finances and clubs abilities to rack up such ridiculous debts completely baffle me

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    160m raised from the misery of others. Chicken feed to Bet 365.
    This nails it for me. It'd be like a club being owned by Smack 365.

It obviously doesn't contravene any rules. After all, it's not as if Bet365's ownership of Stoke is some closely-guarded secret.

Do you also think it's strange that betting companies are allowed to sponsor clubs, as many do?
    A owner can have a direct impact on a clubs performance and have undue influence.

A sponsor cannot

A owner can have a direct impact on a clubs performance and have undue influence.

A sponsor cannot
    Define 'undue influence'.

Define 'undue influence'.
    "improper influence that deprives a person of freedom of choice or substitutes another's choice or desire for the person's own"

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/lega...2C%20necessity

Hope this helps

"improper influence that deprives a person of freedom of choice or substitutes another's choice or desire for the person's own"

Hope this helps
    Sure does. So how would you say that definition tallies with your suggestion that Bet365 could have an 'undue influence' on Stoke City's performance?

Were you aware that Peter Coates, Bet365's chairman, was chairman of Stoke City from 1986 to 1998 and has been their chairman from 2006 to present?

A quick Google reveals that a number of clubs have had larger sums converted from debt to equity in recent years (Fulham = £424 million, Man City = £304 million, Chelsea = £340 million), so it's obviously allowed.

Of course, at Cardiff City the fans have been told their owner can't convert all of his debt to equity due to one set of rules or another. If memory serves, Malaysian financial rules were given as the reason at one stage.
    Do you post as ninian27 on the other board or has someone taken your exact post?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Do you post as ninian27 on the other board or has someone taken your exact post?
    No, but I've noticed somebody cuts and pastes my stuff onto that board regularly.

I rarely post on ****, but when I do I use the same username as here.

No, but I've noticed somebody cuts and pastes my stuff onto that board regularly.

I rarely post on ****, but when I do I use the same username as here.
    That's just plain weird as one of the other comments on this thread has been cut and paste as well under a different user name??

Used to seeing them do it with Wales online articles but other posts from another board??

Sure does. So how would you say that definition tallies with your suggestion that Bet365 could have an 'undue influence' on Stoke City's performance?

Were you aware that Peter Coates, Bet365's chairman, was chairman of Stoke City from 1986 to 1998 and has been their chairman from 2006 to present?
    Turn of phrase

Peter Coates seems like a good man, but it cannot always be relied upon to be a legit owner.

We have an owner who wanted the goalkeeper to score more

We have an owner that asked managers to play certain players

Are you not saying that influences a football matches at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    That's just plain weird as one of the other comments on this thread has been cut and paste as well under a different user name??

Used to seeing them do it with Wales online articles but other posts from another board??
    It's happened many, many times over the years. Stuff has regularly been cut and pasted on the other board under different usernames that aren't mine. I've written lengthy pieces and posted them on here as new threads, and as if by magic they appear on the other board under somebody else's username within minutes. I've long since stopped caring about it to be honest.

We have an owner who wanted the goalkeeper to score more

We have an owner that asked managers to play certain players

Are you not saying that influences a football matches at all?
    We know that such things happen and have happened here, but my question is what's the difference?

I'm pretty sure that if the EFL on the EPL had any concerns about Stoke's ownership, they would have raised them long ago.

It's happened many, many times over the years. Stuff has regularly been cut and pasted on the other board under different usernames that aren't mine. I've written lengthy pieces and posted them on here as new threads, and as if by magic they appear on the other board under somebody else's username within minutes. I've long since stopped caring about it to be honest.
    You are missing an opportunity to have some fun though as you could write some right random stuff and see what happens

As it happens it looks like someone has called it out anyway but as you say it probably won't stop it

Why would it be illegal?
    Because I would expect there to be laws against it. It's unethical. And in other instances could be a conflict of interests.